Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Sir Patrick Moore has offered some views on the impact of women in previously male dominated areas of life.

QUOTE British TV standards are deteriorating because the BBC is "run by women", astronomer Sir Patrick Moore has said.
The Sky at Night host also described female newsreaders as "jokey" and called for separate channels to cater for the needs of the different sexes.

"I think it may eventually happen," the 84-year-old told the Radio Times.

A BBC spokesman described Sir Patrick as being one of TV's best-loved figures and said his "forthright" views were "what we all love about him".

The presenter said: "The trouble is the BBC now is run by women and it shows soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen-sink plays. You wouldn't have had that in the golden days."

Sir Patrick Moore said

"I used to watch Doctor Who and Star Trek, but they went PC - making women commanders, that kind of thing. I stopped watching"

"I would like to see two independent wavelengths - one controlled by women, and one for us, controlled by men."

He claimed that interesting programmes were screened too late at night, and said he would "rather be dead in a ditch" than appear on Celebrity Big Brother. And asked about his favourite series, Sir Patrick said he no longer enjoyed certain programmes because of their modern storylines.

It does seem that railway modelling has yet to suffer the PC that Sir Patrick Moore describes and it does seem the perfect hobby for him from this perspective.

I have a sneeky feeling that a large number of Model Rail Forum members would agree with Sir Patrick's views!

One real question is has anybody ever heard of or seen any woman or team of women create a model railway or is it simply something that women do not have the time to do or have no interest in?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Over the years I have seen plenty of female modellers around the shows, mostly their work is very very good - is this because they are more patient than us chaps?

I also feel sure we must have some female members on the forum as well - come on ladies make yourselves known.

Regards

John

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE A BBC spokesman described Sir Patrick as being one of TV's best-loved figures and said his "forthright" views were "what we all love about him".
It depends who you ask:
QUOTE A BBC spokeswoman described Sir Patrick as being one of TV's least-gossiped-over figures and said his "figure" wasn't "a size 8".
Goedel

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>One real question is has anybody ever heard of or seen any woman or team of women
This one of those times when I wish I hadn't left my programme from this year's Ally Pally event on a book stand right at the end of the show. One of the narrow gauge layouts was built by a husband and wife team, with the work split "mechanical" / "scenic" if I remember correctly and yes it was the husband who did the mechanical bits.

The previous year there was a small model based on the south Devon coast which was a solo female effort. Again the emphasis was on the scenic side but isn't that what turns a train set into a model railway?

So that's two women actively involved in model railways from the construction point of view. Maybe they are the exception to the rule?

David

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
WTF is Sir Patrick Moore?

And what exactly is his problem about? My girlfriend shares my hobby, and so did her "predecessor". I´ve seen great, really great, layouts made by Women MRR clubs, or the "girls´ sections" of mixed clubs. In the club where I used to be a member before moving to Hannover, "our" girls were a great source for real-life views of scenery and layout - one "it doesn´t look like that when I go to work in the morning", and the catenary sytem was rebuilt until they thought it was good. One of the girls, we called her "Car-Crash Sabrina", made the greatest accident scenes, complete with ambulances and cars with doors open, smashed windows on the cars, stretchers and medical equipment - her stuff was insane. BTW, in real life, she´s a medic. Or Nörgul, who called herself "The Nerd" - she was an expert in controlling the layout via computer - never did a crash occur. My best friend, Johanna, has her own TT scale layout (she´s from the eastern part of Germany) which she fine-tunes whenever she has nothing better to do.

To be precise, it is/was my girlfriend(*) who convinced me to buy more Ep. I stuff and maybe even build my layout in Länderbahn era. We debated that "issue" for a while, and she convinced me. Now we´re both sharing the hobby, and are having a
of fun.
Oh yeah, she has a master craft(wo)man degree in precision engineering, so guess who does the soldering on my engines and, in the future, on my layout?

Now, have I gone PC, or am I just German?

As for the TV shows, let´s not forget that nowadays, most TV sets come with a little device called "remote control". It enables the viewer to flip channels if he or she doesn´t like a certain show and choose something else. Most remotes also feature a (usually red) button which gives the viewer the ultimate power to shut the telly off if he or she doesn´t like any of the shows running. Don´t like Captain Janeway? Fine - flip channels and watch Mr Bean. Don´t like the P!nk concert? Fine - put your Robbie Williams DVD into the player and watch him instead (I wouldn´t!).

So where´s the problem?

(*)currently taking courses to brush up her English language skills.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 9 May 2007, 09:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WTF is Sir Patrick Moore?

He's a British institution - has been doing a programme called the sky at night since around the time the dinosaurs went extinct.

Regards

John

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hey Tom,

"Or Nörgul, who called herself "The Nerd" - she was an expert in controlling the layout via computer - never did a crash occur."

Does Nörgul happen to be Turkish, she sounds like one. If so, believe me than shes one of a very rare kind!

By the way, how is yr conversions going to dcc? Await pictures.

Baykal

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 9 May 2007, 18:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does Nörgul happen to be Turkish, she sounds like one. If so, believe me than shes one of a very rare kind!

By the way, how is yr conversions going to dcc? Await pictures.

Baykal

Hey Baykal,

no further DCC enhancements, as I´m still waiting for the 21pin DCC decoders.

Nörgul is of Turkish heritage, yet a German national; her parents came here from a town near Izmit/Turkey in the 1980s and decided to stay.

She´s a great gal, I do miss her. But I´ll meet her in Summer when I visit my old friends in Heidelberg.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE It does seem that railway modelling has yet to suffer the PC that Sir Patrick Moore describes and it does seem the perfect hobby for him from this perspective.

I have a sneeky feeling that a large number of Model Rail Forum members would agree with Sir Patrick's views!

One real question is has anybody ever heard of or seen any woman or team of women create a model railway or is it simply something that women do not have the time to do or have no interest in?

No woman I know would touch it with a barge pole. My wife wont let me watch my train dvds when shes in the room which is fair enough as I wont let her watch the inane drivel that she likes. At least it means that I have one place that doesn't get interfered with or altered the minute I cast my gaze elsewhere!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having been out of UK for 18 years... I am amazed to find out that Patrick Moore is still alive and active at the BBC!

First of all ... well done Patrick

But as for taking him seriously... how could you after seeing Mike Yarwood??

Women in railway modelling sounds good to me... it certainly sounds better than men doing cross stitch!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts