Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I was thinking that the British OO and Continental HO sections should be split as they draw groups with different interests.

There is an International section at Model Rail Forum so maybe this should be used for Continental HO discussion?

What do others think?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
It's always difficult to know what makes for the most useful forum sections, especially where subjects overlap considerably, such as topics comparing HO with OO and Continental models vs British which are currently the most active. It's hard to know where to stop sub-dividing with, say three major gauges (HO/OO, N and 'others') plus say three major geographic locations (UK, Continental, everything else) which would make nine in total and thin each section's postings very considerably.

As there is only quite a small number of active members at present, I think maybe wise to leave it all as is for now. As numbers grow, the needs may become stronger and clearer.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Looking at the poll of who models what just 5% of Model Rail Forum members who have registered in the poll do not collect British Outline and 85% of Model Rail Forum members restrict themselves entirely to British Outline.

I just feel that there is a very clear message here that the majority of Model Rail Forum members are interesting in British modelling only.

And because 85% do model or collect "British only" with the great majority of these no doubt being 00 modellers then surely there should be a forum dedicated exclusively to this aspect?

This to me is common sense however others may see it differently.

I would put anything to do with continental (even comparisons) in a continental section as British modellers, if I am anything to go by, are not that interested!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
I really don't understand this urge to label and divide what is a relatively new forum with a quite small number of active members.

Polls are often misleading and often misinterpreted.
Let's take a look at the one referred to.
This poll was actually a single choice as to what people actually model.
Less than a quarter of the membership has voted.
So 'common sense' might suggest that more than three quarters of them don't want to be labelled in this way!

It's a particularly great assumption to suggest that it was any kind of measure of what people's interests are!
QUOTE British modellers, if I am anything to go by, are not that interested!
Well, that's another question again!
Could be right of course, but rash to assume and, for a guy who professes no interest outside of UK, you sure have opened a lot of topics that invite comparisons.

Here are a couple of real, current stats:
Less than 4% of the members have made more than 70% of all the posts
Less than 2% of the members have made more than 60% of all the posts
NOT a stat, but my estimate is that only about 5% of the members are currently active, with an absolute top figure of 10%.
That's only 13 - 26 people and that's small.
I'd take a quiet side bet that my lower figure is nearer the mark and might still be a little high.

I really do advise against attempting to separate, segregate, label and possibly marginalise such a small number of people. It doesn't encourage forum growth nor any sense of togetherness in a common interest.

I'll sign off by saying that I personally have no problem with the present layout, nor would I if it were to be further split up. I'll continue to take a healthy interest in most all of it, regardless. Now I suggest we go back to argu . . . chatting about trains and not how the board is run!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I will eat humble pie and agree that on the basis of the limited numbers speaking up at the moment it should stay as it is.

So the answer is for visitors and members to sign in and get posting!

How do we know how you are all thinking and what you are passionate about if you don't speak up!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (Rail-Rider @ 23 Oct 2005, 22:37)I really don't understand this urge to label and divide what is a relatively new forum with a quite small number of active members.

Polls are often misleading and often misinterpreted.
Let's take a look at the one referred to.
This poll was actually a single choice as to what people actually model.
Less than a quarter of the membership has voted.
So 'common sense' might suggest that more than three quarters of them don't want to be labelled in this way!

Perhaps the reason why people have not voted on what they "model" is because a load of folks with an interest in railways do not "make" models. They might buy a few ready to run items because they like the prototype, but these might not be (for instance) all LNER. I don't want to get into the old "armchair modeller/rivet counter" argument, but this is often the case. What matters is, whatever gets "your steam up" is up to you and not other folks to "knock"
And, I will say it again,this hobby is supposed to be fun.
Cheers.
Pete

·
Registered
487 Posts
Only the self so called perfectionist of the model railway fraternity will argue on anything from decor to the number of rivets, in an effort to show off their powers of knowledge on the subjects of model railways.
I myself, not a perfectionist, as enjoying running my rolling stock is paramount and not searching for omission to models by the manufacturers.
My track and points are made by Peco in 00 gauge, and still able to run H0 models when I fancy too.
One fault that I find in all Forums, a lack of "Tips" and "help", but plenty of information on what locomotives looked like in their childhood or the correct colour of paint not being used by the model manufacturers.
One member of this forum, states that only a few members bother to make any postings or take part in discussions.
My reasons, to many "Perfectionists" all trying to impress us "lesser know-knowledgeable modellers", thus to reason for only 10% contributions.
I will continue to read and contribute daily to the Forums as it is still an excellent way to read of other modellers thoughts.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
When we set the forum up some months back, we did have a multitude of different areas that we thought were suitable for the various aspects of the hobby. When we saw that some of these areas were not being used at all or in some cases, only occasionally, we decided to re-group some sections together.

I think the mix is fine for the moment. If in the future and changes need to be made or if we feel there is sufficient demand and need to split up a section, it can be done very easily and the various posts in the section can be divided up accordingly my the admin and mods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts