Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I treated myself to a G10 KPEV.

I need to take photo's of my other ROCO locomotives etc and show them on here.

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good morning John,

I too am a fan of the KPEV,

I'm not sure what layout I'm going to build yet but I have a couple of ideas floating around in my empty cranium area.

Not to upset anyone but I'm not a fan of Marklin, I've always been a fan ROCO and fleischmann.

The reason for not being a Marklin fan is the metal skid under the bodies of their loco's, but when I saw the Kaiser sets, I had to get them

I'm in the process of getting rid of all my Bachmann and hornby so I can get more KPEV and DR and DB loco's

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (Babz @ 14 Mar 2019, 15:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Andy Good afternoon nice to see another KPEV fan as well as Drg & DB. I hope i am not trying tell you how to suck eggs. Trix which is made by Marklin is the 2 Rail version and the Quality and build is just the same.
I also do not like the skid and noise it makes on the Marklin 3 rail track. All the models i have bought in the last year have been Trix and they are brilliant. Built to last many years.
Babs

Good evening Babs.

I honestly didn’t know that Trix were made by Märklin !

Thank you very much indeed for that bit of information Babs, most interesting.

As for KPEV, I want to find wagons, coaches etc that are from the East Prussia region.

I did find a couple of wagons that had Königsberg and Tilsit but silly me forgot to bookmark it.

Never mind, I’ll keep looking

Looking on this HO thread, there are some truly wonderful items indeed eh Babs ?

Thank you all.

andy

P.S. does anyone happen to know what name of the green paint the KPEV used please ? I found (I think) the RAL number but I’ve checked Revel, hornby etc but nothing corresponds to it. Would contacting Roco, Märklin help do you think ? Cheers everyone. andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (Allegheny1600 @ 15 Mar 2019, 19:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good Evening, Andy, Babs,
Nice to see other folk appreciate the railways of Prussia! I really must get more of my stuff photographed and posted about, probably on my layout thread though as very little is new.
Anyway, Andy - Prussian green is usually known as an Olive Green. I bought a little bottle from Weinert in a German model shop, item number: Weinert 2628, RAL: 6008. I believe the RAL numbers came to be long after the KPEV had ceased to exist however, there may have been numerous pots of such paint stored at various loco workshops. Whatever, this is probably as accurate as we can ever get without a time machine!
Please note that the Prussian railways used a wonderful red-brown underframe for their locos that is quite different to the later brighter scarlet red used by the DRG and successors. Unfortunately, while I was shopping for paint, I neglected to ask for this red-brown colour however, I would say it is quite similar to that used when the GWR had red-brown underframes.

I admire your 'Royal' train set, it is very pretty and I have lusted for it myself, fortunately for me, it is just a bit too early for me.
Are you aware that being Märklin, it is 3 rail (hence the skate)? Therefore, it will not run alongside your lovely Fleischmann BR94 0-10-0T - unless that too is a three rail version, of course. May I suggest a separate line for this one as it is a stunning model.

For hunting for new items from German ebay, I set my search for "KPEV" in "H0" but specify "Gleichstrom" (DC) and also, "Paypal" - this makes things much easier to find and be able to pay for! Obviously, they also need to be willing to ship outside Germany too.
I hope this helps,
John.

PS Good luck with selling off all that 4mm stuff - I'm still doing this too. Fortunately, it seems to fetch good prices in the UK!

Good morning John,

Many thanks for the Weinert 2628 information.

I just looked on fleabay and there is only one seller that has it and the postage is eye watering for just one item.

I'll look for other paints this seller has to make it worthwhile posting to the uk.

Thank you too for the settings on fleabay and I think I'll try that too ref KPEV.

Kind regards

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi Richard,
Thank you for that Vallejo European railways set, I will certainly grab that set.

I heartily concur with you about Vallejo, I have found their paint to be fantastic.

Though I don’t have many Vallejo paints, I hope to get the entire lot of their range of paints. I do have the majority of the Lifecolour paints.

Thank you all

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here is the rest of my German locomotive collection...........

The following pictures I found really interesting and so I might purchase them next.

Does anyone else find them interesting ?

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (Allegheny1600 @ 18 Mar 2019, 13:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Andy,
Why, certainly, sir! I sure do find them fascinating.
I am still to get a modern 'Kof' (the class 333) and a BR80, how does that run, please?
Your last two pics, I think the first one, 71.509 is actually an Austrian "Anschluss" (wartime) loco. Not a particularly attractive machine IMHO but others probably like it, else it wouldn't be preserved or modelled!
The last pic is a Bavarian (K.Bay.Sts.B.) "Glaskasten or Glass castle" - I have two of these, one by Roco with sound(!), one by Trix and both fabulous runners. I still find it hard to believe that Roco managed to put sound into something so small but they did and it is really good.
Cheers,
John.

PS Many thanks for your comment on my layout thread, very kind!

Evening John,

First off, I’ll PM you about the kof (333) and the 80 is a Roco made locomotive, it still runs smooth as silk.

71.509 I think looks great, it may not be pretty but it has a certain charm to it. I’m trying to imagine it or the glass castle pulling a rake of 12 coaches and provide steam heating into the mix too.

As for a sound fitting in the Glaskasten, it must be a very tiny chip and speaker indeed but I bet knowing the germans it must sound great.

Thanks John

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 18 Mar 2019, 21:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>An interesting and varied collection. I like those last two odd-ball devices!

I heartily concur with you there SRman, indeed they are oddball looking but they do look snazzy and wacky

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (6991 @ 19 Mar 2019, 22:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Andy,
A little about your glass box 4510... There were several versions of glass box which were built from around 1905. Some early versions were scrapped even before DRG came into being. But two types survived into the DB days. 4510 (built by Krauss in 1908) was known in DB days as 98 301 and actually survived until 1961. Together with another lcoo of the same type, 98 307 (formerly Bavarian number 4529), they were famous for operating the branchline from Georgensgmuend to Spalt. 98 307 is actually preserved. So 98 301 to 98 309 were of this type, with the drive direct onto a crankshaft whereas the other survivors, numbered 98 310 to 98 322, were of a visibly similar type first introduced in 1910 but in this series, the drive was more conventional, direct onto the second axle. I think that the new Matrix models are of this later type if you care to look for them. Top speed was 50km/h.
To know why such strange locos were produced, you must understand a little about Bavarian railway history and how little branchlines sprung up, connecting small country towns to the main lines. Some of these branches were very lightly laid, and were best served by small tank engines. The glass box was developed such that only one operator was necessary - saving the cost of a driver plus a fireman. Some of the other lines they regularly worked were Funfstetten to Monheim, Gundelfingen to Sontheim, Amberg to Schnaittenbach, Tittmoning to Wiesmuehl and other locations across the length and breadth of Bavaria.
One machine 98 304 even made it into the Austrian loco list in the 1950s as 688.01 and was stationed in Vienna for a while.
Cheers,

Interesting, thank you 6991.

I don't have the loco's yet but I think I will get them sometime this year.

QUOTE (Adrian Ross @ 20 Mar 2019, 07:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the history lesson. I learned a similar one when trying to find a loco for my Hellentalbahn carriage set.
I mentioned the marklin/Trix merger/marriage train earlier in this discussion.Maybe Trix 21221 would be interesting to you?
The Glaskasten is also in this year's Marklin lineup; not sure about the Trix version.I would have said "Glass Case" myself...

Hi Adrian, I must admit, the Trix items look crisp and well detailed. Thank you.

QUOTE (SRman @ 20 Mar 2019, 10:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just arrived today: DB InterCity double deck set (Twindexx) from Brawa. This is a fully featured DCC set of three cars, and I chose this livery as being one of the easiest to convert to DSB with a dark blue band between the decks for the length of each carriage ... once I get brave enough to go anywhere near them with paint! I know these aren't 100% correct for the Danish versions, most notably the doors on the intermediate coaches, which should be the same as on the driving trailer. Also, the front end light style is a later pattern than the DSB stock. However, in the absence of the HobbyTrade DSB version, these are probably the most convenient type currently available for me to consider.

P_20190320_204339_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190320_204220_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190320_204244_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190320_204258_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

I was going to say that these are probably my last extravagance with the railways of Europe, but I do have a few more wagons on the way, and I will have one last fling when the A.C.M.E. DSB EA electric loco hits the shelves later this year.

Wow, some fantastic photos there SRman, great DB double deckers

Good luck with re-painting them

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bought my first Trix locomotive.......

A nice looking loco but in my opinion, nothing can touch Roco.

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bought some DB loco's........

The BR98 looks odd (like me) but i like it

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
That looks nice SRman.

I too purchased a Piko loco and was surprised at how well detailed it was.

I'll be honest, when I was stationed in Berlin nearly 30 years ago, I saw Piko items and I was never impressed with their stuff, it looked very much like hornby items, cheap looking.

Happy modelling everyone

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 27 Apr 2019, 11:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Andy,

The newer Piko models are very well made, the BR 82 is a DB standard loco of post 1945 build.

Very nice model, even on par with the Model loco kit.

Regards
David

Yes, piko are very well made.

I’ve given up on modelling British railways and sold 99% of it off.

After digging out some of my old Roco stuff I thought, I’ll do a couple of German layouts and start collecting the locomotives and rolling stock.
Once the warmer weather gets here, I’ll start building the baseboard’s but for the moment, I’m constructing the buildings and painting figures.

So, thank you David and I hope all goes well with your DB Post carriage.

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 29 Apr 2019, 09:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Andy,

Yes, not bad for under a tenner!

I do not buy new, second hand can be good, use as a basis and super detail, it's like going back to 1970's modelling.
There are so many supporting detailing parts in Germany, so sourcing parts is not an issue.
Most contact can be in English and Paypal is now being widely accepted.

Enjoy.
Regards
David

Hello David,

I too have noticed how easy spares for Fleischmann, Roco etc are to be purchased, unlike the hornby !

As for contacting any European shops, I use google translator which tends to be good (ish) when ordering.

One thing, I’m not 100% sure if I want to use DCC again like I did with my british stuff ?

My main concern if I did is that if I wired it wrong, that would be an expensive mistake, I need to give it some thought on that one.

Do you use DCC David ?

Anyway, I need to get going here, thank you David for your information.

Kind regards

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank you John and David

I have had a bit of a think, I might do both DCC and Multi Sensi Feinsteuerung.

I have an NCE powercab and for normal non DCC I have a couple of Gaugemaster controllers.

John, I am like yourself mate, I am an electrical numpty and I too would like simplified wiring but I fearI might have to ask someone to wire up my future layout.

Thank you gents.

andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts