Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
My latest H0 purchase is this Roco Class 132 Diesel in East German DR livery, road number 132 097-7, nicknamed 'Ludmilla'. As a child and young adult, I've been on many a train pulled by one of these, and a great number of this type are still operated by both Deutsche Bahn and various private companies.

This one is driven on all six axles, which is important to me because she's pulling my cleaning train. A very smooth runner and equipped with a Zimo sound decoder.

However, it turned out that the sound loaded into that decoder was rather basic and not very representative of both the prototype and the decoder's capabilities. In fact, this is what it sounded like originally:

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/drSnvQICrBQ?rel=0

So I did some research, and it appears that one of the authoritative makers of sound projects for this and other German locos is Matthias Henning from Germany. His sound project can be obtained from the net and loaded into the decoder. But you need special equipment for that, which I don't have. Luckily, a fellow user on this forum owned one of these devices and was willing to assist in updating the sound.

So, thanks to hoonsou from this forum, my Ludmilla now sounds like this (and is possibly the best sounding Ludmilla on this continent):

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/h5-ab8h-5Kw?rel=0

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got a basically new set of Southern Rail Models VAK coal hoppers, as used in Queensland. Been chasing another one but they’ve been sold out for ages. Got this one barely used for $100 below retail price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have acquired a model of an East German Mitropa restaurant car to add to an approximation of an interzone train of the epoch IV.

This model was actually made in East Germany, by PIKO precursor Schicht. It may be as old as the late 60s, but is at least as old as 1981, that's when production under those brand names ceased and everything was rebadged to PIKO. So there's a good chance this car is older than me (1978).

There are a fair few of these floating around in the 'bay, in good condition and for decent prices. I got this one from a guy in Hungary, the whole shebang cost about 30 Euros incl shipping down under. It's in good condition, a few nicks here and there, nothing you'll notice while the thing is in motion. Even the interior lights are working, although I will probably replace the incandescent bulbs with a modern LED setup with capacitor. The couplers will also be on the chopping block at some point, I want to replace them with close coupling mechanisms and a different coupler type, once I have some money again

·
Registered
64 Posts
For a train build that eventually wants to be an approximation of an era IV DB express train (D-Zug), I have acquired this Ar4üm dining car made by Märklin:

Absolute bargain from a German eBay seller, the shipping cost more than the car itself. Technically this car belongs to era III, but there's no real reason it couldn't run in an era IV train, at least not for me
It does need DC axles before I can run it on my layout though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently acquired this beautiful model of a German BR 753 Diesel, a prototype to the BR 217.

Unfortunately the window of cab 2 got loose, and I am having a hard time fixing that, because I can't figure out how to remove the cab inserts from the shell... Other than that it's a lovely loco. Nice detail level, smooth runner.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 8 May 2020, 10:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice, Alex. Who made that model?

I always rather liked the appearance of the BR 210 family, with much more of an attempt at styling than many British diesels had.

That model is from Liliput. I've been after a loco like this for a train project, but I specifically wanted it in this colour scheme. The alternative option would have been a BR221 in oceanblue/beige. This one was a bargain on eBay, basically new in its original box for AU$150 shipped from the UK. It's not 100% prototypical for my train, since the 753s never did any passenger service - but hey, my railway, my rules

·
Registered
64 Posts
Babz, that guy in Vienna, is that Arnold Hübsch? I've got one of his gadgets as well. Haven't needed his custom PCBs for locos yet, but he really knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 27 Jun 2020, 16:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The other one that filled a gap for me was the Roco BR 232 Co-Co diesel electric in DB dark red livery with cream bands (was this a modern historic livery?)

This livery is the historic DR livery of the BR 130/132, but with the DB logo on it. It would have looked like that initially when the locos were taken over by Deutsche Bundesbahn in the early 90s and re-numbered. Many of the 132s were later re-liveried with the modern DB traffic red.

You can see the history of this specific loco, along with photos taken over the years, at http://br232.com/index.php?nav=1407400&amp...action=portrait.

Oh, and you won't be able to use the full brake and air hoses in combination with the couplers. I've got a similar Roco 132 and I tried. There are clipped versions included with the detail parts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 10 Jul 2020, 12:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am sure that I am mixing European Eras/Epochs a bit, but I do like the colourfulness of the models as a contrast to some of the earlier British periods I run.

Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day, it's your model railway. Mine so far is quite a varied mix of Era IV German (both East and West) and Australian. But even with the German stuff, I ended up having an Era V loco where there should be an Era IV one, and an Era III restaurant car because the corresponding Era IV one is pretty much unobtainable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SRMan,

what make/model is that Swedish Y2?

I only have Queensland freight at this moment. Looking to build an approximation of the Great Southern when the new SDS NR30 is available, but rolling stock for that will be expensive.

My QLD fleet is the 2300 Class with coal hoppers, and the 2170 class with cattle wagons.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/TPV_0TXx6L4?rel=0

Here's my BR 132 in East German livery, with original, East German made passenger cars, that are probably older than me. This is my 'Berlin - Prague Express' and probably the most prototypical Era IV German train I have. I still need one or two more of those passenger cars.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/F6DjqcQ85fY?rel=0

I'm not very far with scenery yet, but this is only my training layout. Construction of a bigger layout will commence soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 14 Jul 2020, 18:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's a bit of a luxury having a training layout!

Well, it will get dismantled when the new layout is started. We recently created more recreational space on the property, and the current (very small) train room is required for other purposes. The new one will be roughly 6.5x4m, enough space to keep me busy for years just building the new layout

QUOTE (SRman @ 14 Jul 2020, 18:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have lashed out and ordered a PLuX16 sound decoder for my Ludmilla BR 232 locomotive, seeeing as the sounds are quite distinctive. I haven't figured out where the speaker will fit yet, though.

Which sound project did you get? I love the Ludmilla sounds, and I can't decide if the Henning sound or the ESU sound project is better. My Ludmilla came with a Zimo decoder and a stock sound project which wasn't very good. With the help of another forum user I was able to update the decoder with the Henning sound. It made such a big difference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 15 Jul 2020, 13:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have downloaded the ESU library sound project at this stage (I have a LokProgrammer). Where does the Henning project come from, please? I don't know of that one.

https://www.henning-modellbahn.de/

Unfortunately it seems you can only get the Henning sound project for ESU decoders if you send your decoder to Matthias Henning in Germany to be reprogrammed. For Zimo decoders, you can download the project and acquire a load code either from Henning directly, or from some Zimo resellers. It shouldn't matter too much, the ESU sound project for the Ludmilla gets a lot of praise as well.

You can see the Henning project in action on the second video clip of my earlier post.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 15 Jul 2020, 17:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As a bit of curiosity, I posed the DSB/DB Doppelstock coaches against the NSWGR V set, and you can see the extra height on the European stock, although, as I said before, the NSW stock is fairly generous in its height anyway.

The DSB driving control coach is a Hobby Trade item, but I have not been able to get any of the matching centre coaches yet - they do crop up from time to time, but not very often. In the meantime, I have a DB AG set in Intercity colours from Brawa, and two of these coaches are in the photo purely to stop the DSB one from being lonely!

I am fairly sure I haven't posted a photo of the DSB car before, so it does 'legitimise' my post in this topic.

P_20200715_171910_vHDR_Auto by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

I really like that one. I wouldn't mind having a twindeck train, but haven't found the right one yet. That blue/grey colour scheme looks appealing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The more I see models of double deckers being posted here, the more I want a double decker train myself. Sadly, I have other expenses right now, the track for my new project will cost me big time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got a bunch of second hand German coaches from eBay.

First there's this Roco Bm232 coach which I wanted for an existing train:

Largely in good condition, aside from a few marks on the roof. The destination plate is however completely inaccurate and I will need to do something about that.

Also in there was this Roco Bimz Interregio coach from era 5:

I have no use for it at the moment, so it will go into the display cabinet once I have that set up.

Last not least there was this Trix Cd21 3rd class passenger car:

Again, not an era I am particularly interested in, so display cabinet it is.

The purchase was worth it for the first carriage alone, it was cheaper than buying just that one elsewhere.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SRMan, do MSL currently ship to Australia and what did you pay for shipping if I may ask? I am hesitant to buy anything from Germany at the moment because Deutsche Post isn't accepting parcels to Australia.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice haul. I missed that auction, sure there might have been a few things that interested me.

Is there a light cover missing from the Eurosprinter loco or is that just the photo?

Also, where do you procure your Zimo decoders? Is there anyone in Australia that resells them or do you get them from overseas?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had an unexpected windfall and used it to fulfill a long-standing wish:

This is a model of the VT 18.16, known in Era IV as BR 175. The prestige train of the East German Deutsche Reichsbahn in the 1960s and 1970s, which was used for high-profile international routes such as Berlin - Prague - Vienna and Berlin - Malmö. It was capable of reaching a top speed of 160km/h.

I didn't think I'd get one of these any time soon. They've only ever been made in H0 scale by Kato, and the last production run from 2018 sold out in no time. Prior to that, the last time they were made was in 2011. They're also very hard to get second-hand. But then, by pure chance I found a bunch of them in stock with a reputable UK dealer, and ordered one post-haste. Shipping to Australia via UPS was fast this time around, 13 days from order to delivery.

It will be a while until this train drives on my layout though, mainly because I don't have a layout right now
A new train room is being built, and I should be able to start laying track in a month or two.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (Pantograf @ 17 Oct 2020, 23:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's a fantastic set, congrats. I had it in my hands last year but I figured I could get 3 Vectrons for the same price so I didn't buy it. Now I'm thinking that maybe I should have. When I was a kid I always dragged my parents to the station to watch this thing come and go as it ran as the famous Vindobona. Coincidentally, today I rode the current Vindobona (CD RailJet) to Prague.

We will probably run it as the Vindobona ourselves. A number of different stickers are included for different routes. Unfortunately I am too young to have seen this train operate in its heyday. There's a volunteer-driven project in Germany trying to restore one of the remaining trainsets to running condition. Perhaps on a future Germany visit I might be able to ride on it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts