Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice new additions!
Alan, I’m pleased for you that you like the BR83.10, it is a cracking looking model for sure.
I’ve seen quite a few videos of them working and people seem generally very happy with it. Not so with Piko’s previous steam locomotiv in the expert range, the BR78 as it seemed to generate a lot of complaints.
I only have a couple of their older models, BR82 and 95, they’re a different generation but still excellent in my opinion.
Back to the BR83.10 - I note that most German steam loco classes built after WW2 appear to be in the format of BRxx for West German, and BRxx.10 for East German. Yet, I’ve never heard of a West German BR83
Anyone else ever heard of such a loco, please?
TIA,
John E.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi All,
I’m presently back in the UK for some family business and I got an email from Hattons about their Black Friday sale! Perusing their site (it’s useful to be able to select the scale you require!), I found this and couldn’t resist!
Train Wheel Vehicle Toy Window

It’s an Athearn Genesis Chicago and North Western C&NW GP50 in as new condition.
My main American interest is this road, often called “Railway“ and this is a model I have coveted for many years now. Hopefully I shall get to run it tomorrow on my friend Dougies layout - if he’ll allow such a thing of course!
Cheers,
John E.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks Babs!
Yes, it’s quite impressive in real life, that’s for sure. I think it’s only 59’ long, weighs 250,000 pounds, about 120 tons* or so, tractive effort of 69,000 pounds and has 3500Hp.
Not particularly successful as a seller for EMD General Motors as they “only” sold 278 examples. High horsepower locos like this were often used on intermodal trains so I need to look my double stack cars out again.
Although “my” railway, the C&NW was taken over by the Union Pacific in 1995, these locos carried on in service for a few more years but have subsequently been sold off to various other roads. Apparently, most GP50s are still working, not bad for locos built between 1980 and 1985.
Cheers,
John.
* That means a 40 ton axle load - what a difference to European railways!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts