Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi, it's second hand, Roco.
Not brave, but maybe stupid. The only gauge I could afford to run outdoors and it has to be outdoors for me to avoid the" train chasing its tail" look. My trains will be run. They're not to sit in a box.
I'm looking for locos/ trains that look "interesting" rather than modelling a specific time and place. I do have a oo gauge W&M speed whiskers railcar as well.
Suggestions for interesting locos welcome. Even really ugly ones
Thanks Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
Babz, Pantograph and Reddo. Green with envy as I read about your latest purchases, please settle mine (and probably others) curiosity. How many locos do each of you own? I don't consider it a "willy waving" exercise, I am genuinely curious.
Are they separated into collectibles and runners. Feel free not to answer if you find the question vulgar or offensive. This is obviously not my intention. Nearly did offend, Babz had auto corrected to Baby. Thank heavens I spotted it before posting.
Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi all,
Sorry I I diverted the thread a bit and thank you for your answers.
You can go back to making me insanely jealous of your latest purchases. Yes Babz, that does look lovely.
The answers have given me a germ of an idea for another thread
Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
[/URL][/img]
Got these for £7 each today. Don't know what they should really go behind, but as I only have a V200, that's what they'll go behind. Made by Rowa, who I believe went bust in about 1896. Any information about them (real or model) gratefully received. Second picture to follow as I haven't worked out how to get two on the same post from my tablet. Old numpty
Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thank you John. As always interesting information and blimey, I've " lucked" into something historically accurate. As you may be aware my intention is to just run interesting looking trains in the garden. Only two months of purchases to go before I start building. Love reading your posts, always astounded at your depth of knowledge. Ok, you may have a big library but you've still got to know where to look.
Babz and couplings. Although the carriages are very old, they have never before been removed from their boxes! Stickers and seals still in place, something that astounds me. Although they are quite nice and were in clear cases I could never imagine staring dreamily at them admiring their "curves". Mrs Campbell might be concerned about my mental well being. They come with two sets of couplings of a very narrow " swallow tail" and two sizes of a square hole with a couple of swept back arms. I realised last week when somebody gave me a small 6x4 layout that I will use as a test track that I need to learn more about couplings.
Programmed my V200 on it and was running it round (boy that could soon become tedious) and for fun thought that I would attach some of the "Thomas" wagons that came with the layout to the loco. As I now know, Roco couplings (which to me resemble a Christmas tree sawn in half vertically) are not going to attach to a Hornby one.
I am going to the east Anglian model railway exhibition this weekend and will hopefully find someone to "compatiblise" my small fleet. I have previously seen kadee fittings and liked the look of them on YouTube but now confused as to sizes etc re my other stuff. Currently searching the web for idiot guide to couplings

·
Registered
228 Posts
[/URL][/img]
My latest purchase. Falls into my "interesting to look at" class. You never know, as I get more interested in this hobby I might find something historically accurate to pull them with. Initially I will have to reunite Germany early with my V200 doing the honours.
Hope to start on my outdoor layout next month and get my very limited stock running.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have done a small amount of research on my East German coaches. I'm sure John will correct me but it would appear that I could run them pretty much behind anything. DR does seem to have been a "make do and mend" because everything was "stolen" by the Russians as war reparations. They seem to have spent the rest of their existence ten steps behind.
On another point, as I have said before it would be nice to see pictures of some of these lovely locos and coaches running on layouts. Redo, Babz, Pantograph et all I've thrown down the gauntlet slap it in my face

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi all. Not seen much American outline (if any) on this thread so here's my latest purchase. A Bachmann Gp 27 that I know little about. After posting this I'll go and do a little research. It fits my criteria of looking interesting and have started running it in until rain stopped play. Once more I find it difficult to believe that someone once bought this new and never ran it. On the plus side they offer me bargains.
[/url][/img]

·
Registered
228 Posts
I love the bridge. All my buildings have been what I can get for next to nothing on e-bay or bargains in the used section of my local model shop. May be tempted to spend more when I see how long they last dealing with real weather.
Very few second hand bridges pop up unfortunately.
Messing around with various buildings "making a scene" at the moment. Mixture of German, French, and Danish, with an English church thrown in for good measure.
John and Julian. I have so little stock so far I can't use your technique and I haven't reached the stage that if you stop half way up the stairs and then can't remember whether you're going up or down. Apparently, that's when it's time to worry.
Reddo, please get your layout running. You have too many "precious things" that need to be out of their boxes for us all to die of envy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Flickr is playing silly b*****s again and won't let me grab all the B.B. code from my tablet, so sorry, no images. My 1952 Rheingold coaches have arrived and are mint. Showed them to a man at our club last night and said that it was my belief that they would probably have run with a br 01, 03 or 41. And having looked these up, sorry purists, not seen a difference worth caring about between them, sort of aired my reluctance to use steam locos outdoors. I had been warned that they would be likely to be too light.
He makes no claim to be an expert, but did think an E18 in blue would probably be " getawayable" . Having seen images of this loco and preferring this to a red and black. Would it be a million miles off the mark?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Lovely John. Just another loco to add to the wish list. As you know, I like to see stock running.
At the moment looking for a Db E19 in blue in a bargain basement somewhere. Decided against historical accuracy and think one of these will look nice pulling my 1952 Rheingold coaches.
Did manage to pick up a Db s-bahn 111 with the lovely white and orange finish for £30 on eBay. Can't show you pictures as Flickr via tablet seems resistant to allow you to copy the entire B.B. code. Going to be my first attempt at hardwiring for dcc, when I can find a good "idiot guide" to follow.
As an aside, anyone attending the East Anglian Model Railway Exhibition on the 10th and 11th of March look out for me as I joined the hosting club (St Neots) a while back, so will be around the whole weekend. Would be nice to put some faces to names. Sad to say there will be no exhibition next year as the venue is demolishing the hall at the end of the year and we haven't been able to find a suitable replacement venue. Still searching for somewhere for 2020.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts