Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Will a photo of my cat be acceptable Babs?

Brawa model of a Class 234 experimentally fitted with a Caterpillar motor.

Brawa did a lovely three loco set in the nineties, one motorised, the other two without motors ............. of the three Class 232 (just renumbered from the DR Class number 132) that were experimentally fitted with upgraded motors to provide reliability and fuel savings plus regearing for passenger work. The eventual production run were fitted with the upgraded Kolomna motor as Classes 233 and 234.

I was lucky to find the Brawa set on eBay being sold by a UK loco driver who lived in the Northwest. The set lurks somewhere in a box in the garage and writing about it makes me want to dig it out.

Best regards .............. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I came across a really cheap offer on the Rivarossi double decker Rostock S/Bahn liveried set; normally around £200 but the special offer was £120 plus £10 postage. The notes accompanying the set mention a decoder socket and i have yet to find out what benefit this might be; probably just lights. I should have more of a clue than this as a couple of years ago i bought the usual DR green version of this set but I never got round to installing a chip.

I suspect that there may be quite a few of these sets on dealer's shelves because not many will be modelling the Rostock area.

Best regards ................... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
May I ask if there is a flexible steam pipe linkage between the bogies in both the prototype and model? Looking at this locomotive the thought immediately occurred to me that I had no idea about the steam pathways. Compound mallets are intriguing.

Best regards .................. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Please forgive me for muscling in on this Babs. It is the way the steam exhausted from the rear high pressure cylinders makes its way to the forward low pressure cylinders that is so fascinating. Imagine the engineering needed, the flexible connections etc. I bet this machine needed regular and careful maintenance.

The Bayerische Gt 2×4/4 is such a brilliant machine. It became Class 96 - a goods engine.

This is a 1:10 model of the machine in the Verkehrszentrum (Deutsches_Museum) Munich -- if you have a spare afternoon Reddo.

The allocation in 1935 according to Wikipedia:

Loknr. Bw
96 002 Aschaffenburg
96 004 Eger
96 006 Aschaffenburg
96 007 Aschaffenburg
96 008 Aschaffenburg
96 009 Eger
96 010 Eger
96 011 Eger
96 012 Aschaffenburg
96 013 Aschaffenburg
96 014 Eger
96 015 Eger
96 016 Pressig-Rothenkirchen
96 017 Pressig-Rothenkirchen
96 018 Pressig-Rothenkirchen
96 019 Pressig-Rothenkirchen
96 020 Pressig-Rothenkirchen
96 021 Pressig-Rothenkirchen
96 022 Pressig-Rothenkirchen
96 023 Pressig-Rothenkirchen
96 024 Pressig-Rothenkirchen
96 025 Pressig-Rothenkirchen

Eger is now of course renamed Cheb (Czech Republic).

After 1945, the following 18 machines were available 96 002 004, 006, 008-012, 016-025. The machines in the western zones were stationed in Munich and Nuremberg and were retired in 1948 whilst 96 002 and 96 024 remained after the war in the DR in East Germany, allocated to Raw Stendal up to 1954. Such a pity that none were preserved but the models, available in various scales are very collectable. Again I acknowledge the info to be found on Wikipedia:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayerische_Gt_2%C3%974/4

Best regards ................. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
QUOTE (Babz @ 25 May 2016, 12:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My Last Purchase for a while till Resources Recover. Bought 2 of these Great Price Brawa. Please for those of you who do not know that when you Purchase any Loks or Railcars From a Brawa Main Dealer you will not only get a 2 year warranty at the 2 year point you send it to Brawa for servicing they will give you another 3 year warranty on top. Babs

I am interested in what your view is of the performance of the Brawa Ferkeltaxi Babz. Mine seems to be hopelessly overgeared and needs full power even to just creep along at a moderately slow speed. It is also very noisy. Perhaps my model is faulty or are they designed that way?

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 4 Sep 2016, 08:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was at Gaugemaster too but managed to keep my hands off my wallet as I searched through that stack of discounted stuff. I was sorely tempted by the Roco ZVV doppelstock train pack but I really don't need it. I did buy some DCC Concepts stainless steel rail when I found that it fitted C&L chairs...

David

That's a great tip David. I had not thought to try out DCC Concepts bullhead rail with C&L chairs but this will be of great help when when constructing maintenance and ash pits in my loco shed.

Best regards ................ Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I learnt my German in bars. It is amazing how helpful a couple of beers can be. I have to admit that being married into a German family has helped but I have never managed to be as fluent with them as I can be in a bar.

The thing to remember about a Stammtisch is that you have to be invited to sit there.

Best regards .............. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Abstammung = heritage

Stamm = trunk (but it sort of means a connection to your roots)

Stammtisch = a table where people connected to this place can meet. The tradition element relates to the idea that they always have met here. It's a very male concept.

Hope this helps ........................ Greyvoices (alias Hans)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
QUOTE (Pantograf @ 20 Dec 2016, 18:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello, I'm kind of excited and super stoked about my recent purchase. This last weekend I was bidding on some Fleischmann cars which I ended up winning so to fill the box I added some more cars and an analog diesel loco from Roco. The next day after I paid, I recieved an email saying that the loco I chose is no longer available so I went looking for a replacement and found an SBB InterregioCargo Re 4/4 II AC Digital w/sound for less than the analog diesel. I've had my eye on this locomotive since it came out but didn't want to pay the full asking price. This must be my best deal of the year.

This is a very interesting loco, not just because it looks good but because the recent history of ownership tells us a lot about Swiss Railway practice in the 21st century.

The SBB and BLS networks were enthusiastic and early adopters of ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System), the first main route being the new line between Olten and Bern. To operate on this route locomotives needed to be modified to interact with the new signalling and were deemed to be ETCS compliant locos (European Train Control System). Non modified locomotives were sent via the old, more circuitous route through Biel which meant that operators of non-ETCS locomotives were at a disadvantage. Given that there were many independent operators hauling all manner of trains in Switzerland it was deemed necessary to include them in the government backed scheme of modification to, initially, RE 4/4 and 460 classes (others such as TRAXX were outside the scheme). In effect rail companies were given an interest free loan to pay for ETCS modification but it was recognised that this would penalise independent companies that did not have suitable locomotives so some RE4/4's were made available to the independents.

11320 was therefore taken over in 2007 by RTS (Rail Traction Services) who at that time were operating a shuttle service for the CooP between Bern and Brig. It may seem odd to operate such a short distance freight train in the modern era but it should be remembered that there was no direct road linking the two centres because the Alps lay between them. Inevitably the CooP service was not a money spinner and RTS withdrew from actively hauling freight in 2009. I was at the time working with Crossrail AG and I can remember at short notice hiring both 11320 and, sometimes, drivers from RTS when the Crossrail fleet was stretched. Subsequently the loco has been used by Interregio Cargo and Rail Care (forgive me as my knowledge peters out after 2010 by which time I had left Crossrail).

We are now well in to the next phase of route modernisation in Switzerland with the opening of the Lotschberg and Gotthard base tunnels for which other more modern classes of locomotive have been introduced that are fitted with ETCS so the usefulness of 11320 is diminished. Moving freight through the Alps is only economic if you have locomotives capable of hauling trains of maximum length and weight. A single RE 4/4 is restricted to somewhere around 700 tonnes on the classic routes whilst a pair in multiple can manage (If I remember correctly) 1450 tonnes. The appearance of 11320 on passenger workings is thus a result of the introduction of ETRMS, the building and opening of the base tunnels and the emergence of new ETCS compliant traction. I would imagine that with the opening of the Gotthard base tunnel SBB has a traction shortage so hiring back 11320 (or was it only ever leased to RTS) and using it on the Zurich <> Munich service as far as Lindau would be a sensible move. What i might have missed is if the service has been taken over by another operator. I also am unsure if the 11320 is fitted with both DB and SBB pantographs as I thought the line around the eastern shore of the Bodensee (Lake Constance) through Bregenz to Lindau is wired to the DB standard of zig-zag necessitating the use of a wider pantograph. If you look at your model I suspect that you will find two Swiss narrow pantographs.

Best regards .................... Greyvoices (alias John)

PS. I do try to be accurate but all the above I've written from memory.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Interesting 6991.

So if my assumption that Swiss overhead wire zig-zag standards reach Lindau is incorrect then it follows that 11320 may be utilised on the Zurich <> Munich service because it is equipped with an appropriate DB pantograph.

Best regards .................... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
A good question to ask John.

The simple answer is "Loading Gauge"; the Swiss adhering to the original Berne Gauge which is referred to as G1, the German standard being G2.

This should help. Drawing created by Christian Lindecke and lifted from Wikipedia.

Over the years routes in Germany have been modified to comply with the G2 gauge and you will notice from the G2 drawing that pantograph heads are given an envelope of 1,380 millimetres in which to operate whilst the G1 gauge is restricted to 800 millimetres. It is possible that some routes in Switzerland are cleared for G2 compliant pantograph arrays but in principal this would be fairly restricted. German locomotives with the larger pantographs are allowed through to Muttenz yard just to the east of Basel with locomotive changes for cross border freights being moved across the border from Weil am Rhein. It is also possible for German traction to access Basel Hbf.

The zig-zag is necessary to avoid the overhead wire from cutting a groove in the pantograph contact strip. The contact strip is inspected on a regular basis as a worn strip can start to deflect the wire and eventually pull the wire away from the catenary. This completely blocks the route.and should be automatically detected and thus throwing the trip. As the German contact strip is wider the zig-zag can be more exaggerated which means that the contact strip does not wear out so quickly and is less likely to form grooves. The Swiss strip, being of lesser width, has to be replaced more often.

Goodness me look at the time. I am not sleeping much at the moment ............... i must have a guilty conscience !!!!

Best regards ................... Greyvoices (alias john)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Let me make this absolutely clear, under no circumstances will I welle mein willy.

I have no idea how many locos, coaches or wagons I possess as my life became ever more complex through work and the necessity of living abroad whilst still maintaining a family home in the UK. When it became time to move back we were faced with the task of assimilating furniture and bits of household kit that we had amassed whilst living in an unfurnished apartment by Berlin and then an unfurnished house at the very foot of the Schwarzwald. We ended up with 4 double beds and 5 singles plus 4 sofas and .................. well the list goes on. The same sort of accumulation happened with models but owing to the various moves a lot of stuff was stored in removal boxes. All this "surplus" stuff ended up stacked up in our garage.

It was curious how my modelling interest changed with where i was living .............. in Germany I resumed collecting British (ex Great Eastern) models, books, paraphernalia etc. but after being back in the UK for a couple of years my predilection for German railways (basically DR in the DDR times) resurfaced and now is once again the predominant interest. My task of producing a layout complex that can accommodate both has become the main theme of the final years before I take up residence in that place of eternal warmth.

What I am trying to say is that I have a lot of models stored in boxes, some of which I can remember and some of which i have forgotten. I probably have at least a dozen Ludmilla's in H0 (bought yet another one last week) and goodness knows how many B1's and J15's in 00 ............ only a grand unboxing event will uncover the truth. Of course I could just redouble my efforts at building that layout so that i can run a few trains as there must be many that have never even been test run .............. which makes me wonder how many duds I have that should have been dealt with under warranty ............. sadly now years too late.

I still have a few DB locos, coaches and wagons which I sell on eBay once they are unearthed.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I like this thread because it reflects the varied tastes and interests of MRF members. It gets me out of my bubble ..... so to speak.

Some years ago I was buying anything and everything that caught my eye but my acquisitiveness was necessarily reigned in once I retired. Now, with more time to devote to model railways my focus has narrowed so my purchases are very specific .............. those who know me are probably groaning at the prospect of me once again chuntering on about the railways in the DDR, the Deutsche Reichsbahn. One area of interest is the trains that ran between East Germany and Russia. There were regular services for Russian soldiers going on leave or returning to duty and Spiele Max commissioned authentic sets from Heris, notably Magdeburg to Moscow and Dresden to Moscow wide body couchette coaches. Unfortunately Spiele Max do not post to the UK and in the past few years I've not travelled within striking distance of one of their stores. I could have ordered and had posted to relatives living in Germany but the only one who is in everyday is my mother-in-law who is 96 ................ nuff said.

I was therefore very pleased to find a reseller on eBay who had obviously bought end of run stock from Spiele Max. It ain't cheap but what is these days following the 17% decrease in the value of the pound after the Brexit referendum. I dipped my toe in the water and ordered a 4 coach Dresden <> Moscow set:

Photographed on my desk

I am researching the variety of formations of these Russiche Soldatenzuge and I see that I have need of the buffet wagen which is at the moment not available. The model exists but I cannot find oneI already own a couple of wide body russian sleeper coaches that can go with this set so I'm not far off a representative rake ............ just need the buffet wagen:

Heris 80105 - currently being offered by Spiele Max - oh and they also have on sale an intriguing Kommando wagen (photo source: bahnbilder.de)

The Spiele Max website teases with the statement that they are working on introducing overseas postage but .................. !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
There is a simple trick that enables me to avoid envy Mark .................

I buy something .................. look at it for a while then .............. put it back in the box and stow it away in a cupboard .............. after a year or two I forget that I own this particular loco/coach/wagon .............. another year or two passes before I re-discover the lost model ............ it's like buying it new all over again but without the need to spend any further money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts