Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi,

Just posting a link for those interested in upcoming new models in HO for the NightJet. Roco and LS Models are churning out NightJet rolling stock along with special commissios by PIRATA.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hiya,

Well after some delay (was supposed to be available at the end of last year) I received the pair of WSBA (Slovakian) sleepers in N, a special commission from Menzels Lokschuppen by LS Models.

A very pleasing pair of coaches with the silver print, although there are some very small imperfections I noticed in the printing which do not detract from the overall appearance. The photos uploaded don't show clearly the coloured interior cabin doors. One of these coaches will eventually end up in a rake I'm building up for the Chopin train EN 406/407 between Vienna and Breclav.

For some time I'd be wanting to get hold of the Jaegerndorfer Kaiser Taurus operated by MRCE to compliment the Hobbytrain Sisi Taurus I already own and luckily I found one at a bargain price for 85 euros:

and the complimentary Sisi Taurus operated by Gysev:

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi David,

That's a nice model there. Variety is the spice of life as they say ... I myself want to add some different Eloks to my collection instead of having various rail ad bulls. I suppose you intend to use this one for the Brenner freight trains you are building up.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
;Hello again,

Adding a bit more Eastern European flavour to my collection, I recently managed to find on Ebay a pair of RZD WLABmee from LS Models 78011. I homed on these since the RZD later had the sleeper pictogram removed which is evident on YouTube videos when these coaches are used on this train. Also these coaches do not have a particular destination board. I also managed to track down an earlier livery of the Slovakian WSBA WLABmee by LS Models 78021 before having the modern livery which are shown in my previous post here on this thread.

The RZD coaches:

A suprising addition to this pair of coaches were these additional bits, some seats presumably to replace the folded down beds and a pair of destination board "glass":

An interesting feature of these coaches (both the RZD and WSBA) is that these were made before the Modern Gala saga where a number of RTR providers got their fingers burnt. Here is a photo of the chassis with the Modern Gala marking:

The WSBA Travel single coach:

And a sample rake of the 406/7 train which is typical at one end with a typical CD "big dipper" sleeper, note the WSBA appears in later years on the route but can pass as a PKPIC coach at a distance:

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Reddo,

Roco have made two versions with two different styles of livery 45718 & 45724. The one in the video is the latest livery of Ökombi which is the latter model made by Roco. Also Tillig/Memoba 501030 (Õkombi style) and Lilliput 388365 (old livery).

Relating to my previous post for those confused to which train I was referring to (for some reason my post got mangled during editing) is the Chopin D/EN/R 406/7 and D202/3 night train and also the reference to being similar to a PKPIC coach is incorrect it was meant to be either a ZSSK WLABmee or a WSBA Bcmh since the colours are identical.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi David,

I'd read somewhere but can't recall where, that the Roco model was a compromise model, also I think they failed to close up a window like in the prototype when they were modified for Rola service from ordinary passenger couchette service, similar to the mistake Kato made with the Rola couchettes in N and only to be rectified in the limited series by Kiskun.

Lead loco can confirm is 1216, the "part of the best" markings also with map of Europe outline being only on the 1216 (ÖBB and RCA).

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi David,

Nice additions you have there. Have you had a look at Rockyrail's Sdggmrs, T3000E & Sggmrs wagons? Well worth a look at their stuff. Now that the N scale products has been sold onto REE Modeles I'll have to buy from them for these wagon types; the selection from other brands in N scale are a bit dated.

@reddo Nice additions as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 14 May 2018, 18:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The variety of design and colour of the wagons is almost as important as the trailers on top.

Couldn't disagree on that. I was surprised to see SNCB Toaux container wagons running regularly in a YouTube video in Lower Austria (artery via Gramatneusiedel to Hungary) so pretty much anything goes.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hello again,

After some delay by LS. Models, the first "correct" OeBB couchettes in N are available. They have released couchettes from epoch IV to VI type Bcmz in various liveries and upgrades; but this is not by any means the whole range of couchettes used by the OeBB in these epochs some of which will appear in the near future e.g the modular Bcmz.

I'm focusing only on Epoch V and VI, so the ones I'm interested from the ones released are LS 77050, 77053, 77061. The latter two sets arrived today the former set is coming from another source.

The differences between the various Bcmz couchettes can be quite bewildering for someone not familiar with them since the OeBB, apart from livery changes, different designs (vendor specific) and derivation from the Bmz coach, upgraded them over time with different bogies, doors, windows and markings.

The first pleasant surprise common to both of these sets is that each coach is supplied with a complete set of brakes hoses (8) along with a pair of hook and screw coupling. These are optional add ones for those wanting to display static models. This is a pretty much a first for me to see in N scale and hopefully this will make other RTR manufacturers sit up and take note. You can purchase these kind of small detailing items separately from various sources which can be prohibitively expensive (in particular for locomotives), but having these bundled with a coach or locomotive is a great convenience. I dearly hope this will set a trend for continental N gauge which in HO scale has had this luxury for some time.

For my purposes the brake hoses will be used since I will be operating eventually with a minimum radius of 1000mm so interference of the NEM couplers will be negligible; the couplers will be replaced at one point with MFK type.

Following here are some pictures of the above couchettes:

Again a great pleasure to have these realistic models, been long overdue to have these OeBB couchettes in N scale. So far I have not seen an announcement yet for a Bcmz type 73 i.e. 59-91.1 yet which has a skirt.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
QUOTE (Babz @ 8 Aug 2018, 10:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Andrian Was it yourself that was saying that the Profi Fleischmann Points are Electrofrog can You Explain to me as i have no idea They have some Little Square U Brackets in Between the Track What are they For. Answers on a Postcard Please & Thank You. Babs

Hi Babz,

Wasn't me. However the U spring brackets are for the "thinking" feature of the points. If they are removed the route the point is set to will have current flowing but the other route will be dead. Similar to the differences between electrofrog and insulfrog points. There should be instructions supplied with the point explaining this. So in the case of using them as they are, they are electrofrogs.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi again,

Jaegerndorfer released in N two sets of the City Shuttle long streaks (Epoch V) and I received them shortly after the recent LS models delivery.

I'd like to say that I'm pleased that companies like Jaegerndorfer are making efforts to fill the much needed gaps for the OeBB N model maker, and these new sets do open up an incredible opportunity to represent the domestic traffic found in Austria. However I will say there are some negatives as well which I will point out later on.

I will show only the 3 pack coach set with the control car since the 2 Bmpz-l pack set is pretty much the same but with slightly different markings. here follows a general photographic overview:

The shape/form and livery of these sets gives a good overall impression.

Now onto the negatives. The control cab (I'm sure can be noticed by some in the last photo above) in more detail has some problems, see below:

I'm glad that an effort was made to represent the hand rails on the front of the cab which like fine however what amazes me is that Jaegerndorfer went to the great effort to add these but fell short of adding anything else; a horizontal hand rail below the left hand cab window is not present, no platform/step on the corner fronts of the control cabs chassis and a boxing of some sort is missing on the front as well. These are probably the most significant features which makes the control cab fall short in my honest opinion. See this prototype photo link to see what I am highlighting.

Furthermore from the above photos the headlamps chrome fittings have been painted by hand I suspect; you can see in places where silver paint has strayed onto the clear plastic lenses and even on the bottom edge of the bodywork, the question is why they paint these on after the plastic lens has been inserted? There are also some issues of stray hair and dust in the bodywork paint as well, which I have seen before in the odd place even on the top end LS Models; this does show that an immaculate environment should be maintained for painting. There is also a small "deformation" on the cab's front top edge with the roof which I suspect is a molding defect or a small painting error; a small build up of paint between the colours from a possible excess flashing of the mold line. The two grills at the front are a bit simple too.

Another area is the slight patchiness of the City Shuttle logo on the sides:

Even though other markings are fairly well printed like the pictograms:

Finally onto the driving performance. Jaegerndorfer has had critical reviews on the rolling behaviour of the control cabs of their double deck City Shuttles in the past, and I have to agree they roll really bad due to the excessively high resistance of the pickups for the cab headlights also the wheel flanges could grind on the chassis. In the case of the long streaks I have found the situation is considerably better by some simple roll tests done by hand. However for those wanting to operate on tight radii you will have problems; both the double decks and long streaks coaches are literally cheek to cheek. This is shown in the case of the long streaks below when pushed (I can't confirm the exact figure of the distance since I don't have at the moment a suitable feeler gauge/shim to check but as one can see it is very tight). However the "rogue" control cab has a problem in that the beading does not sit flush into the back; a small slight radius and the beading makes contact with the other coaches beading which can lead to derailments. I will have to test the roll behaviour properly when I have a chance. Early reports I have read say these sets do roll well on R2 radius but when pushed the coaches nearer to the drive unit tend to lift slightly, so larger radii are recommended to avoid a possible derailment if your track work is not perfect.

Overall I have mixed feelings on these sets even though a welcome addition to my fleet. I personally think Jaegerndorfer has still got a quality control problem; there have been many reports where customers have flawless models and others do not like in my case. As for the asking price per coach for these sets at a similar level to LS Models I think Jaegerndorfer are taking the Michael a bit here, they have a long way to go before demanding these prices.

I hope this was of interest.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi,

@babz

Thanks. My layout is in slow progress at the moment. Been dabbling lately with 3d printing and some research. Things will pickup over the winter months.

@pantograph

There is room for improvement as you say. I have to admit I may have been erroneously harsh in my review and did a bit more research on the control cab ... it appears going by the numbering of the cab this represents the cab at the very beginning of its life cycle, note no hyphen and in the linked photo there is a hyphen. So the horizontal hand rail and boxing looks like a possible upgrade at a later stage when the numberings were changed with hyphens, a sample link with no hyphens. Still the missing steps are a blunder imho. Jaegerndorfer plan to release an epoch VI version of this set with the worte mark later in the year so I will be casting an eagle eye on its release to see whether they use the same mold or not since the upgrades should be present as well as a change from incandescent lights to led. If one wanted to be pedantic Jaegerndorfer could do another 2 sets representing a quasi epoch v/vi version i.e. platsch and upgrades one with incandescent and one with led lighting.

Furthemore variations of the weasel dostos could be rerun by Jaegerndorfer without pflatsch and no worte mark to represnt an epoch VI version.

Mixing epoch V and VI will not be wrong on a layout with the long streaks and dostos.

I will be having fun in the meantime mixing things up with the City Shuttles released along with my Modellbahn Union Gabs cycle vans. See this link to a Youtube video of what rakes can be achieved.

As a final note the Rhinegold is stunning!

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
QUOTE (Pantograf @ 19 Aug 2018, 11:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the Roco OBB CityShuttle Dosto set so now I need the rest of it but I don't remember seeing the bike vans in HO.

Hi Pantograpf,

Roco released in the past two cycle Gabs in HO: 66905 (worte mark - "rolf rudiger type?" livery) & 66801 (pflatsch - blue livery), I think there is another worte mark Gabs but with an advertised type picture on the doors which can be seen in the video I'd linked made in HO. But definitely there has been released the shorter Gbs cycle vans with the advertisement in HO which can be attached to say a Rh 5047. Roco released in the past: 66271 (worte mark - "rolf rudiger?" livery with ad) and 46282 (pflatsch - blue livery).

There may be more from the other manufacturers like Heris etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi David,

Very nice additions. I love the look of the Twin pocketwagon.

I found a gem of a website (Italian so need to use google translate) about intermodal transport. If you go to the specials tab there are various articles on the history and design of the various types used. A very useful reference.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi David,

Very nice additions again.

I think the Acme couchettes visually look better in that they look lower to the rail; the Roco couchette seems to have more of an air gap between the chassis and the bogies giving the impression of high leggedness even though both brands side by side seem to have the same overall height with respect to the rail top.

The T3000 pocket wagon looks great too.

Have had some deliveries as well recently following in the Austrian vein will post here at some point.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Julian,

The sound is the loco as you guessed. The Siemens Euro Sprinters ES64 U (Ã-BB Rh 1016) ES64 U2 (Ã-BB Rh 1116) have been nicknamed Taurus; these particular locos are identifiable by the musical scaling caused by the thyristors. Here is a link to an amazing example where wheel slip causes them to sound more melodic.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi,

Here follows some photos of the recently released OeBB Bcmz modular couchettes type 73 59-91.2 from LS Models.

They have made 3 variants in various sets of pairs and singles with different liveries. What follows are 77151, 77155 and 77159; 77150 I am still waiting to receive this but is basically the same as 77155.

Starting with 77151 these are with the wortemark but with the classic ultramarine blue and grey livery:

Here on the cabin side (first photo directly above) LS Models have do variations with blinds half/fully drawn and not drawn, which is nice to see again, in fact this has been executed in all variants of this particular couchette.

77155 is basically same as 77151 but with slight variation in markings as well as having a distict wortemark and pflatsh:

Finally 77159, this is the only modular couchette in the prototype with the Rolf Rudiger livery:

All the couchettes above come with brake hoses and hooks; I mentioned before that this may be setting a trend in N and recently Fleischmann's released Vectrons also have the option to have brake hoses along with hook and screw couplings.

As I understand LS Models will soon be releasing the Bcmz 73 59-91.1, technically the last missing form for a couchette (see David's Night Jet version a few posts up) and Bmz 2nd class passenger cars. These will assist greatly in putting the last missing pieces of an OeBB fleet. I'm still debating whether to go for the Night Jet sets specially made for Lemke representing rakes from 2016.

For those interested in the Orient Express epoch III in N the two sets 79170 & 79173 released recently by LS Models are mind blowing when one looks at the interiors; the best I've ever seen.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi David,

Nice additions you have there again. Regarding the "Leonardo" 1216 one should note that this particular elok had previously two unique liveries before; "Wagner/Verdi" (2013-2014/15) and "Achensee" (2015/16-2018). I have the "Wagner/Verdi" music edition in N and I'd been looking at ways to obtain the various liveries for this loco and others at a reasonable cost; option one is to buy the shells of the alternate liveries or option 2 is to buy the analog/digital version of the alternatives which in some cases the analog rtr version is cheaper than buying the spare part shell! The pricing structure for spare parts is obscene.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hello again,

Some photos of LS Models 77001 Ã-BB WLABm and WLBm double deck sleepers (N gauge) in their original livery with a Pflatsch. I was very fortunate to buy these recently on Ebay and the set is basically brand new/unused; not a single blemish and the storage boxes undamaged. I have been patiently monitoring Ebay for a set of these to surface since they are out of print since 2009.

With this addition to my fleet of Ã-BB coaches I am complete with the Ã-BB coaches in the Wiener Walzer euronight train EN466/467 of 2004 except for the missing 3 Hungarian Mav-Start coaches. Furthermore these coaches can be used for the same train upto 2008 when their livery was gradually switched over to the Rolf Rudiger colour scheme and Wortemark ( see earlier posts of photos).

As some are aware these sleepers have had another livery change recently to Nightjet.

Curiously I noticed here has been a misprint for the labelling on the packaging as seen in the first image where both are labelled WLBm, furthermore these coaches have the incorrect bogies as mentioned already in my earlier post of LS Models 77000 with the Wortemark; this error was fixed with a special run of these sleepers with Wortemark by Menzels Lokschuppen 97000 (which I posess as well).

I will hopefully get a video uploaded on Youtube of the 2004 rake running with substitute Fleischmann Hungarian Gosa coaches until one day a manufacturer will make the correct MAV coaches.

Cheers

21 - 40 of 41 Posts