Model Railway Forum banner
681 - 700 of 1501 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Pretty damn good. Does it weigh a ton as well.

My 'reservation' notice from MSL sat in my Inbox for 4 days while I justified the price, then after a lot of checking it seemed to be selling out quickly so I caved in. With the discount and my bit of accrued bonus it came in at 441 Euros free shipping to Munich. I looked at GM and they have it in stock at £465 so I felt a bit better. Need to get some of my MB UK Hornby/Bmann stuff onto the Bay now to pay for it!

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
That looks really good.

Enjoy!

David

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Hi redo
Yeah, it is pretty chunky
really well packaged and has some good sounds, which I omitted to use in that clip

I had purposely built up my MSL bonus for this purchase and paid 402.10 euros + 3.90 shipping to UK
I think it is well worth it I am now fitting lighting into the Touropa coaches I got to go with it to go with it.
Regards
Alan

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Sounds great Alan. I also picked up that Touropa pack; I had the earlier ones but these later ones were different (gold v silver window frames fro some reason)

I think it will be a 'star' loco on the layout; I only have 1 other smoke fitted loco.
Cheers

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
At the start of the year I yielded to temptation and purchased the Roco "Ship" 1216. Having learned to distinguish the difference between a 1216 and 1116, I realised that you don't see too many 1216 on freight as with Italian volt capability they are used for through passenger trains over the Brenner Pass. So I sat down to do some research and quickly discovered that ACME had announced a series of coaches for the EC84 service from Bologna-Munich. I did some more research online and found

http://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zem...017&lang=en

which gives the train composition for this year. I also found the booking page on the OBB website to confirm the train times and route over the Brenner Pass. I duly reserved the carriages and they arrived last month. I have been painting track and ballasting and have just got round to taking this short video:

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/b12QcCgv6C4?rel=0

The quality of the printing on the ACME coaches is very high. I still haven't managed to magnify it enough to read the paper train itinerary in some of the door windows. Other parts of the design are not quite so good. The buffers are sprung but the plastic providing the springing is too soft to provide any spring. The couplings provided are the classic continental hoop. These leave quite a gap between the coaches and hate being reverse shunted through S curves, so much so that I have already changed one set to a close coupled type and will get more to convert the rest of the train.

I would like to add lighting but it's not at clear how you might gain entry to the inside so rather than risk damaging the coaches I will leave them alone. In some ways that's a shame as there is a lot of detail on the inside as well which lighting would enhance.

David

·
What do I put here!?!
883 Posts
Hi Alan,
That 85 looks the bee's knee's! Good on you mate, I love the little touch of the single red light at the back, not seen that before. Looks like Roco pushed the boat out for this one. Gawd, I'm tempted by this!
John.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Go for it John - but be quick as looks like they are selling well. I also just checked the link David posted and the OBB 1216 is shown with the Italian flag livery which was one of my first purchases and spots at Munich Hbf, so another justification for me to get those coach sets. The detail on ACME sets are superb and the fact they target actual trains has a nice alignment to the real thing.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
QUOTE (reddo @ 8 Jul 2017, 15:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds great Alan. I also picked up that Touropa pack; I had the earlier ones but these later ones were different (gold v silver window frames fro some reason)

I think it will be a 'star' loco on the layout; I only have 1 other smoke fitted loco.
Cheers

Thanks redo
As you say it will be the one to watch
I have a few locos fitted with smoke, but the BR 85 is the way to go I wonder how long it will be before "Dynamic Smoke" means steam from the piston valves at HO scale like I've seen on some larger scale locos

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
QUOTE (Allegheny1600 @ 8 Jul 2017, 19:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Alan,
That 85 looks the bee's knee's! Good on you mate, I love the little touch of the single red light at the back, not seen that before. Looks like Roco pushed the boat out for this one. Gawd, I'm tempted by this!
John.

Thanks John
Yeah, that red rear light is cool, you still get 3 white lights when reversing,. Its a great loco all round

As reddo says, go for it, you only live once

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Jul 2017, 17:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At the start of the year I yielded to temptation and purchased the Roco "Ship" 1216. Having learned to distinguish the difference between a 1216 and 1116, I realised that you don't see too many 1216 on freight as with Italian volt capability they are used for through passenger trains over the Brenner Pass. So I sat down to do some research and quickly discovered that ACME had announced a series of coaches for the EC84 service from Bologna-Munich. I did some more research online and found

http://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zem...017&lang=en

which gives the train composition for this year. I also found the booking page on the OBB website to confirm the train times and route over the Brenner Pass. I duly reserved the carriages and they arrived last month. I have been painting track and ballasting and have just got round to taking this short video:

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/b12QcCgv6C4?rel=0

The quality of the printing on the ACME coaches is very high. I still haven't managed to magnify it enough to read the paper train itinerary in some of the door windows. Other parts of the design are not quite so good. The buffers are sprung but the plastic providing the springing is too soft to provide any spring. The couplings provided are the classic continental hoop. These leave quite a gap between the coaches and hate being reverse shunted through S curves, so much so that I have already changed one set to a close coupled type and will get more to convert the rest of the train.

I would like to add lighting but it's not at clear how you might gain entry to the inside so rather than risk damaging the coaches I will leave them alone. In some ways that's a shame as there is a lot of detail on the inside as well which lighting would enhance.

David

Hi David,
That's a lovely looking set
, although I tend to stick predominantly with steam, as my layout is epoch 2/3, I do like the diesel and electric locos too
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I like this thread because it reflects the varied tastes and interests of MRF members. It gets me out of my bubble ..... so to speak.

Some years ago I was buying anything and everything that caught my eye but my acquisitiveness was necessarily reigned in once I retired. Now, with more time to devote to model railways my focus has narrowed so my purchases are very specific .............. those who know me are probably groaning at the prospect of me once again chuntering on about the railways in the DDR, the Deutsche Reichsbahn. One area of interest is the trains that ran between East Germany and Russia. There were regular services for Russian soldiers going on leave or returning to duty and Spiele Max commissioned authentic sets from Heris, notably Magdeburg to Moscow and Dresden to Moscow wide body couchette coaches. Unfortunately Spiele Max do not post to the UK and in the past few years I've not travelled within striking distance of one of their stores. I could have ordered and had posted to relatives living in Germany but the only one who is in everyday is my mother-in-law who is 96 ................ nuff said.

I was therefore very pleased to find a reseller on eBay who had obviously bought end of run stock from Spiele Max. It ain't cheap but what is these days following the 17% decrease in the value of the pound after the Brexit referendum. I dipped my toe in the water and ordered a 4 coach Dresden <> Moscow set:

Photographed on my desk

I am researching the variety of formations of these Russiche Soldatenzuge and I see that I have need of the buffet wagen which is at the moment not available. The model exists but I cannot find oneI already own a couple of wide body russian sleeper coaches that can go with this set so I'm not far off a representative rake ............ just need the buffet wagen:

Heris 80105 - currently being offered by Spiele Max - oh and they also have on sale an intriguing Kommando wagen (photo source: bahnbilder.de)

The Spiele Max website teases with the statement that they are working on introducing overseas postage but .................. !!!!!!!

Best regards ................. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
What do I put here&#33;?&#33;
883 Posts
Hi John,
Wonderful coaches, thanks for sharing.
I saw similar coaches in Budapest in 1990, must scan a close up I took of a badge - I find just the thought of travel to such far away and in those days, hard to reach places, quite captivating.
Cheers,
John.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
Well What a Nice Rake of Coaches Must be a Big Layout to have that Length of Train the Elok also looks great. Babs

·
Registered
261 Posts
Very nice set of coaches John, hope you find the buffet car soon.

Spiele Max seem to do quite a few exclusives for the DR but so annoying that they won't ship outside of Germany or Austria, I think the message about working on overseas postage has been there for ages,
Best wishes,
Simon

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
QUOTE it's nice to have the space to run it.
The layout runs the length of the attic which is about 29ft. Sounds great until you have to ballast it
I've gone through one large jar of C&L ballast already. I guess I have about 10ft of double track done.

David

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #700 ·
Good Afternoon everyone. My BR85's arrived this morning well i was very impressed with the boxes that they came in. I wish all loks came with that degree of protection. Will be running later this afternoon. Babs

681 - 700 of 1501 Posts