Model Railway Forum banner
701 - 720 of 1524 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 11 Jul 2017, 12:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The layout runs the length of the attic which is about 29ft. Sounds great until you have to ballast it
I've gone through one large jar of C&L ballast already. I guess I have about 10ft of double track done.

David
That's a lot of work but I bet it's something you will appreciate and be proud of when it's done. I never got past the plywood stage.

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE That's a lot of work
Oh yes. It's all very well wishing you had more space but then the modelling takes on an epic scale and things are done in industrial quantities. For example there are 3 Gaugemaster backscenes and that covers about half the layout.

Progress may be slow but looking back at the photos from five or six years ago I can at least see that something has been done.

David

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Unusually for me, I bought something non-British. I have always loved the New South Wales Government Railways (and successors) V set interurban double deckers. Auscision recently released them in several different liveries, some of which lasted for quite a long time. Mine is in the so called 'blue goose' livery that they were delivered in right from the first units in the late 1960s. A few still wore this livery in the early 1990s, I believe. The real ones were built and delivered in several batches over quite a long period of time, with the first ones in approximately 1968, and the last in 1989 or thereabouts.

This one depicts the slightly later guise, with blue guard's indicator lights and ditch lights at the front.

This was an extravagance/indulgence on my part - a quite expensive one - but I have had quite a few memorable trips on real ones of these smooth-riding, quiet and comfortable units to destinations in the Blue Mountains and to Gosford and Newcastle to the north of Sydney.

Auscision say that the fitted couplings are only suitable for 24" radius curves and above, but a quick test showed they could just scrape around my 21" curves, but it was a little too close for comfort, so I fitted the longer couplings (supplied in the box) to one end only of each coach, retaining the shorter ones for the adjoining ends.

I have fitted a Lenz decoder to the powered car, and a basic Backmann (ESU) decoder to the unpowered driving car, after first testing on DC. Running is good, and they *just* clear my tunnel mouths on the underground section (these being HO where my normal stock is OO, the clearances required are not much different).

They may not get a lot of running in the future, but will be on display at other times.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Well, they say you learn something new each day, I didn't know that electric loco's were about back in epoch 3 let alone 2

So when I saw the demo video for the ESU E94 I just had to get one. Nice heavy loco with good sound and light features and lots of playability

One gripe about ESU, no English manual, and can't see anywhere on there website to download one for this model

Now toying with the idea and feasibility of installing a non operational catenary on the visible parts of my two main tracks.

Below is a short video, again, sorry about the poor quality

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//Qu67YTdTXNk?rel=0

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Hi Alan,
The Munich to Berlin electrification was completed throughout in 1939. The E19 locomotives were built specifically for this line.
The first E94 locomotives were allocated to the Frankenwald stretch between Pressig-Rothenkirchen and Ludwigsstadt to assist in banking heavy trains.
Prior to electrification this is where several locos of the Br96 class were stationed.

·
What do I put here&#33;?&#33;
883 Posts
Hi Alan,
A little bit of light reading for you! Wiki
First ever electric loco (battery): 1837 (little more than a model apparently!)
First electric passenger train: 1879;

First electrified mainline: 1895 (ohl DC) (4 miles)
First full electrification: 1902 (ohl AC)
I do find electric railways have a fascination all their own!

SRman, those double deckers are lovely - well done, that man!

Cheers,
John.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Thanks 6991 and John,
After I saw the demo video for the E94 I did do a bit of reading about electrification of German and English railways

I was just surprised to learn that it started so long ago. Now I have a whole new genre of locos to add to my collection. The wife will be so pleased

Regards
Alan

·
883 Posts
QUOTE (alanoes @ 19 Jul 2017, 14:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The wife will be so pleased

Hi Alan,
Sorry about that! When I did the research for my article in CM about converting a Trix E91 to digital sound, I was surprised to learn that these locos were built around the time of the LMS Beyer Garratt's, yet continued in service until around 1975!
As 6991 mentioned, the E18 and E19 classes also had a long life but some members of class E94 are (I believe) still working! A worthwhile topic of it's own, I feel.
Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi all. Not seen much American outline (if any) on this thread so here's my latest purchase. A Bachmann Gp 27 that I know little about. After posting this I'll go and do a little research. It fits my criteria of looking interesting and have started running it in until rain stopped play. Once more I find it difficult to believe that someone once bought this new and never ran it. On the plus side they offer me bargains.
[/url][/img]

·
883 Posts
Hi Mark,
Very pretty! Looks like it might actually be a GP7 to me though! (mistype?).
I'll never know why some folk buy locos, never run them and get rid* but, like you say - it does give us the opportunity to get a bargain!
It could keep company with my little S2!

Not a new purchase but I don't think I've posted this before.
Cheers,
John.

*Silly me! I have done this once or twice (sigh)!

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE I'll never know why some folk buy locos, never run them and get rid*
I used to think that too but now find that I have growing collection of locos waiting to be fitted with decoders so they're still in their boxes. I think they're all UK outline - I tend to buy the sound fitted version of continental locos so there is no need to wait. Same with the railroad TTS Crosti 9F I got a couple of months ago - it has a decoder, so it's out of the box.

David

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
New arrivals...

I had this Rocky Rail model reserved at MSL to be sure of getting my hands on one - they are very bright and turn up in several Brenner Pass videos on youtube:

We were recently within driving range of Innsbruck so we paid a visit which included the Heiss toy shop near the town centre which has a very good selection of model railway stuff. I picked up this Roco model which also has trailers frequently seen in Brenner Pass videos on youtube:

The loco showcase was stuffed with DC/DCC OBB outline electrics. I chose this Roco sound fitted 1116 because it carries the RailCargo Austria logo; being on special offer also helped

I also picked up a copy of the Eisenbahn Journal Brennerbahn 150 year special edition - 100 pages of text and photos. Now to brush up my German!

Here is a short video of a pair of OBB 1144s hauling the intermodals on my layout:
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/YkR2fVSKX-Y?rel=0

David

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Very nice. While buying online, going into an actual model shop is great with a sense of anticipation I find. I like the livery on that 1116 and also have a selection of those container wagons including the Winner Spedition set. Great video - nicely replicates how these things look when I have seen them on my trips. Cheers

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE nicely replicates how these things look when I have seen them on my trips
I know what you mean. It looks like a properly long train even though it is still quite a bit shorter than the real thing. The number of wagons must have crossed some threshold where the brain stops counting and says "That's a lot".

The problem is I don't have a storage line long enough and will have to split it once the rest of the layout goes "live".

David

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hello all,

It's been a while, but I've managed to work out how to post images on my iPad from Flickr so will post some pics that might be of interest of recent acquisitions.
Below is Trix 22180, the Baden IVh in DRG Br 18.3 form. Purchased on eBay, looks(and smells) like it had been stored in very damp conditions - the staples in the instruction manual were completely rusted and had stained the manual. However the loco looks and runs perfectly. Finally got the ideal loco match for my Trix Rheingold set and am very happy with the result!
Cheers

701 - 720 of 1524 Posts