Model Railway Forum banner
761 - 780 of 1482 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #761 ·
John Good Morning. Thanks for the info. I wish i could afford the space for a larger scale. Would be really nice. I do look at video's on youtube of larger scale layouts and they are really very nice. One thing i have noticed is they do not need / have much scenery.
Enjoy your day.
Babs

·
Administrator
9,994 Posts
Today marks the start of a new freight consist for my Brenner Pass collection. My choices are based on viewing videos taken on the Brenner Pass both north and south of Brennero itself.

First is a set of six heavily weathered EANOS wagons in DB livery from Roco. This is one of them:

Then there is this Habbilns wagon in pristine condition. The vast majority of these that you see in the videos are heavily weathered and usually 'tagged' as well but you do see the occasional pristine one like this as well.

As well as appearing in block trains of their own type, you often see them mixed together, so apart from the OBB 1116 hauling this set - it would usually be something from Lokomotion or MCRE - the wagons are representative:

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/N_2frBsh0RY?rel=0

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi David,

Nice. Seems you are on the same wavelength as me but me being on a smaller gauge. Some FS Eanos and Ealos would not go amiss here. The tagging of freight wagons seems to be becoming a big problem these days; I've noticed the open car carriers are getting fitted with mesh guards (GEFCO Laeks) or the cars are covered with protective sheets and the more modern ones are now entirely closed boxes - I suppose in the future car carriers will just be closed box wagons with no cars in sight (pretty dull but from a modelling budget point of view cheaper in that no cars need to be bought).

Cheers

·
Administrator
9,994 Posts
QUOTE the more modern ones are now entirely closed boxes - I suppose in the future car carriers will just be closed box wagons with no cars in sight (pretty dull but from a modelling budget point of view cheaper in that no cars need to be bought).
When I started taking an interest in freight over the Brenner Pass in about 2012 I was surprised to see open car carriers. Back in 2005 I used to work in the Oxford Science park in a building which overlooked the branch line into the Cowley works. I only saw covered wagons there. A few years later I worked briefly in the Unipart building which overlooks the railway loading area. I was surprised to see open wagons and so wondered if the covers slide over? I don't know and it's been bugging me ever since.

Covered wagons are certainly cheaper for the modeller. In youtube videos I have seem MINIs, Audis and VWs. Just as well I haven't got any car carriers... yet

David

·
Administrator
9,994 Posts
That looks nice Dennis.

David

·
Administrator
9,994 Posts
That's a useful aggregation of what's coming out. If you want to check up on individual train formations and their itineraries try this page on the vagonWEB site.

Unfortunately for me, the Nightjet routes into Italy appear to go via Villach rather than Brenner but that's not going to stop me from trying to put together one of the trains which passes through Innsbruck. Having spent a week in Bregenz last summer, I think I'll go for one of those.

David

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well I would like to post some photos of Trix 22574, just arrived after an 11 month reservation wait with MSL, but even following the detailed instructions posted by another member on how to post from Flickr to the forum using an iPad I still can't get it to work.
Suffice to say it was worth the wait and the TEE Etoile du Nord Paris-Brussels express on my train set is now complete.
Merry Christmas all.

·
Administrator
9,994 Posts
No model of an OBB Tyrol freight train is complete without some stake wagons carrying logs so when Roco announced their new model of the OBB Rnoos wagons earlier in the year I placed a reservation with MSL. They arrived in the store last week and my models came today.

Out of the box they look like this:

When you add the stakes which come with the wagons, but not the bright yellow handrails:

Incidently, the instructions show that two of the stakes have holes for a handrail next to the foot step. Your task is to find them in among all the others and there are some spares, so guess when I found mine

I could see from Roco's photos that there was no load included so not knowing quite what Herpa's log loads looked like I opted for a pack of short logs:

and a pack of long logs

I need to check some videos to see which is more appropriate. I suspect the short ones and it will take more than one pack to fill a wagon.

David

·
Administrator
9,994 Posts
QUOTE You seem to be finding all the good stuff lately DWB
Thanks. I have a rather unhealthy MSL website checking habit...

David

·
Registered
407 Posts
i had a nice outcome last month!.

i had £250 of nectar points which can be used on ebay too.

an esu shunter class 261 loco came up which was in immaculate condition and the smoke unit had never been used plus all the tiny fittings bag was intact with all the fittings.
this loco is normally around £350-£400
i was able to use my nectar points and add a little cash to it and am delighted to have this amazing loco.

i love the brake sparks it makes during braking, the squealing sounds of going through pointwork and the flange squeal on tight curves, the dashboard illumination that can be turned on / off and the best feature is the front and rear remote controlled couplers to allow coupling / uncoupling anywhere and the load dependant smoke generator is great.
even has illuminated stairs that can be turned on and off!.
amazing model - runs on my marklin ac by simply clipping on the shoe - it then knows to run on marklin motorola system!

id post a pic but cant due photobucket nonsense.

761 - 780 of 1482 Posts