Model Railway Forum banner
961 - 980 of 1524 Posts

·
What do I put here!?!
883 Posts
Hello, Alan & Babs,
Oh my! That is a very special train you two have there, well done.
My very good mate, Doug has an older version and that is lovely to see so I can imagine what you have. Doing era's I, some III, IV and VI is enough for me though. I couldn't take on any more eras.
1189 Euros for the Brawa version - ouch! I'm sure it will be an absolutely fabulous model but it would be something that I dare not touch in case anything fell off, they are notoriously delicate models. At least with Trix, you know it will last.
Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi again,

Jaegerndorfer released in N two sets of the City Shuttle long streaks (Epoch V) and I received them shortly after the recent LS models delivery.

I'd like to say that I'm pleased that companies like Jaegerndorfer are making efforts to fill the much needed gaps for the OeBB N model maker, and these new sets do open up an incredible opportunity to represent the domestic traffic found in Austria. However I will say there are some negatives as well which I will point out later on.

I will show only the 3 pack coach set with the control car since the 2 Bmpz-l pack set is pretty much the same but with slightly different markings. here follows a general photographic overview:

The shape/form and livery of these sets gives a good overall impression.

Now onto the negatives. The control cab (I'm sure can be noticed by some in the last photo above) in more detail has some problems, see below:

I'm glad that an effort was made to represent the hand rails on the front of the cab which like fine however what amazes me is that Jaegerndorfer went to the great effort to add these but fell short of adding anything else; a horizontal hand rail below the left hand cab window is not present, no platform/step on the corner fronts of the control cabs chassis and a boxing of some sort is missing on the front as well. These are probably the most significant features which makes the control cab fall short in my honest opinion. See this prototype photo link to see what I am highlighting.

Furthermore from the above photos the headlamps chrome fittings have been painted by hand I suspect; you can see in places where silver paint has strayed onto the clear plastic lenses and even on the bottom edge of the bodywork, the question is why they paint these on after the plastic lens has been inserted? There are also some issues of stray hair and dust in the bodywork paint as well, which I have seen before in the odd place even on the top end LS Models; this does show that an immaculate environment should be maintained for painting. There is also a small "deformation" on the cab's front top edge with the roof which I suspect is a molding defect or a small painting error; a small build up of paint between the colours from a possible excess flashing of the mold line. The two grills at the front are a bit simple too.

Another area is the slight patchiness of the City Shuttle logo on the sides:

Even though other markings are fairly well printed like the pictograms:

Finally onto the driving performance. Jaegerndorfer has had critical reviews on the rolling behaviour of the control cabs of their double deck City Shuttles in the past, and I have to agree they roll really bad due to the excessively high resistance of the pickups for the cab headlights also the wheel flanges could grind on the chassis. In the case of the long streaks I have found the situation is considerably better by some simple roll tests done by hand. However for those wanting to operate on tight radii you will have problems; both the double decks and long streaks coaches are literally cheek to cheek. This is shown in the case of the long streaks below when pushed (I can't confirm the exact figure of the distance since I don't have at the moment a suitable feeler gauge/shim to check but as one can see it is very tight). However the "rogue" control cab has a problem in that the beading does not sit flush into the back; a small slight radius and the beading makes contact with the other coaches beading which can lead to derailments. I will have to test the roll behaviour properly when I have a chance. Early reports I have read say these sets do roll well on R2 radius but when pushed the coaches nearer to the drive unit tend to lift slightly, so larger radii are recommended to avoid a possible derailment if your track work is not perfect.

Overall I have mixed feelings on these sets even though a welcome addition to my fleet. I personally think Jaegerndorfer has still got a quality control problem; there have been many reports where customers have flawless models and others do not like in my case. As for the asking price per coach for these sets at a similar level to LS Models I think Jaegerndorfer are taking the Michael a bit here, they have a long way to go before demanding these prices.

I hope this was of interest.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #963 ·
Hi TheAndrian, They are very nice N Gauge models I did not know there was that much Available for Belgium Stock I Bet they are an arm and a leg for those very nice too i take it your layout is coming along nicely. Babs

·
Registered
271 Posts
MAGNIFICENT is the only way to describe the Trix Rhinegold set. The detail on those coaches is second to none and the color scheme of the era looks fantastic.

As far as the Jagerndorfer CityShuttle coaches go, I don't think many of those highlighted problems would be too noticeable on an N scale model without magnification but that's not to say that there's no room for improvement. Overall, they are very nice models that would look great behind the class 1144 eloc.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi,

@babz

Thanks. My layout is in slow progress at the moment. Been dabbling lately with 3d printing and some research. Things will pickup over the winter months.

@pantograph

There is room for improvement as you say. I have to admit I may have been erroneously harsh in my review and did a bit more research on the control cab ... it appears going by the numbering of the cab this represents the cab at the very beginning of its life cycle, note no hyphen and in the linked photo there is a hyphen. So the horizontal hand rail and boxing looks like a possible upgrade at a later stage when the numberings were changed with hyphens, a sample link with no hyphens. Still the missing steps are a blunder imho. Jaegerndorfer plan to release an epoch VI version of this set with the worte mark later in the year so I will be casting an eagle eye on its release to see whether they use the same mold or not since the upgrades should be present as well as a change from incandescent lights to led. If one wanted to be pedantic Jaegerndorfer could do another 2 sets representing a quasi epoch v/vi version i.e. platsch and upgrades one with incandescent and one with led lighting.

Furthemore variations of the weasel dostos could be rerun by Jaegerndorfer without pflatsch and no worte mark to represnt an epoch VI version.

Mixing epoch V and VI will not be wrong on a layout with the long streaks and dostos.

I will be having fun in the meantime mixing things up with the City Shuttles released along with my Modellbahn Union Gabs cycle vans. See this link to a Youtube video of what rakes can be achieved.

As a final note the Rhinegold is stunning!

Cheers

·
Registered
271 Posts
QUOTE (TheAndrian @ 12 Aug 2018, 15:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>@pantograph

I will be having fun in the meantime mixing things up with the City Shuttles released along with my Modellbahn Union Gabs cycle vans. See this link to a Youtube video of what rakes can be achieved.

Cheers
Hi Andrian, thanks for the link. There are some interesting consists running around Austria that I have never seen, like combining the Dostos with regular driving trailers and multiple bike vans. I have the Roco OBB CityShuttle Dosto set so now I need the rest of it but I don't remember seeing the bike vans in HO.

QUOTE (alanoes @ 16 Aug 2018, 13:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, here's a little video of the Rhinegold set. The passengers seem to be getting in the party spirit

Regards
Alan
Thanks for the vid, Alan, the set is a thing of beauty and it almost makes me want to buy my first steam loco with sound.

·
Registered
321 Posts
QUOTE (Pantograf @ 19 Aug 2018, 11:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the Roco OBB CityShuttle Dosto set so now I need the rest of it but I don't remember seeing the bike vans in HO.

Hi Pantograpf,

Roco released in the past two cycle Gabs in HO: 66905 (worte mark - "rolf rudiger type?" livery) & 66801 (pflatsch - blue livery), I think there is another worte mark Gabs but with an advertised type picture on the doors which can be seen in the video I'd linked made in HO. But definitely there has been released the shorter Gbs cycle vans with the advertisement in HO which can be attached to say a Rh 5047. Roco released in the past: 66271 (worte mark - "rolf rudiger?" livery with ad) and 46282 (pflatsch - blue livery).

There may be more from the other manufacturers like Heris etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
271 Posts
QUOTE (TheAndrian @ 19 Aug 2018, 07:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Pantograpf,

Roco released in the past two cycle Gabs in HO: 66905 (worte mark - "rolf rudiger type?" livery) & 66801 (pflatsch - blue livery), I think there is another worte mark Gabs but with an advertised type picture on the doors which can be seen in the video I'd linked made in HO.

Cheers
Hi Andrian, thanks for the very useful info, now I need to find 2 or 3 of those Roco 66905 wagons. After having a look around, that might be a challenge.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #973 ·
Good Morning Everyone, You know what it's like I could not resist as i have been after a Grau Mouse SBB Trix Article 22236 for a long time Now two come along at the same time. Very much looking forward to running these. Babs ( I have really busted the Budget Now. )

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
Another two gondolas.

A Roco DB Schenker EAOS. These slightly shorter than the EANOS gondolas so they help vary the look of long trains.

A Brawa DB EALOS. These are the same length as the EAOS but have extensions around the sides to make them deeper.

David

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Hi all

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago, just for a bit of fun, measuring the scale distance around my layout and the slope gradients in the track to my upper levels etc.
Its the Piko 55050 "Smart Measure Car"

Although just a bit of fun for me, there is a serious side to this item as it can be useful in layout planning etc.

Here is a link to a video that explains the workings in more detail
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//RQdp4rPhg2U?rel=0

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #977 ·
Hi Alan & Everyone, Very nice set of Purchases, I have not bought anything Fleischmann Rolling stock lately mainly because of the Demise of Fleischmann HO from April next Year. I do have 2 sets of the Prussian Gloria similar engine a P10. Description below Babs

Model: Fleischmann is celebrating it's 125 year anniversary, because this is a special anniversary Fleischmann is coming out with this exquisite Gloria set. The set will consists of one exquisite KPEV P10 Prussian express locomotive, one Prussian baggage coach, one first class coach, one first and second class coach and one restaurant car. The "Gloria" set represents a provincial luxuary train which travelled from Berlin to Zurich via Halle, Wurzburg and Stuttgart. Fleischmann 125 year anniversary set is extremely limited and will sell out fast. Locomotive is equipped with DCC interface, can motor with flywheel and extensive detail. Coaches are highly detailed models with painted window frames, full interiors and detailed under carriages.

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
I have the OBB version of the Piko measurement car on my wishlist as I am a sucker for gadgets. I believe you can connect to the car via a smart phone. Have you tried that Alan and if so, is it any good?

David

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Sep 2018, 19:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the OBB version of the Piko measurement car on my wishlist as I am a sucker for gadgets. I believe you can connect to the car via a smart phone. Have you tried that Alan and if so, is it any good?

David

Hi David,
Yeah, I downloaded the app to my iPhone and ipad
The car gives out its own wi fi network so to speak and you connect your phone or tablet to it.
It basically gives you the multi readings page to view, that's all there is to it, but its free so may as well have it, think there is an Android version too.
Handy if the car is out of sight in a tunnel etc or in my case, round the back of the layout where its out of sight for a while.

Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
Thanks for the info. The 'out of sight' part would be handy for me too. Maybe I should push it further up my list. I have been asked for present suggestions recently

David

961 - 980 of 1524 Posts