Model Railway Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1503 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,021 ·
Hi jeff & everyone thank you for posting the layout plan and Pictures its a very compact layout. It also looks as if there is a lot going on. How long has it taken to get it to this stage.
Regards
Babs

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Babs, it started in December 2009, when my very good friend delivered the first framework on Christmas Eve (I think my wife had a hand in organising it as a surprise). I got the Underground loop working first after about 4 months, so that had all of my trains working on it at some time or other until March last year when I got the second part of the upper level laid ready (in a rush!) for a British Railway Modellers of Australia (BRMA) meeting at my house. Progress has been in fits and starts since, but it is nice to have a working railway, even with some of the viaducts as only placeholders until I can finish converting more of the Vollmer single arches to double track (only three doubles are done so far). The design was a compromise to allow me to largely avoid having to go down on bended knees to get under the layout as I had to do with my old layout.

The engine shed lines and turntable are still not operational, but are pretty well laid out in their final configuration (different from the plan sketches).

·
Untitled
472 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 5 Mar 2019, 12:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Turtle Home? Am I close?

<snip>

yes, that's the literal translation. Cootamundra got it's name from a point on Muttama Creek where the local indigenous people hunted a black and yellow turtle. More specifically, the point was where they didn't hunt, as it was the breeding area for the turtle.So, translating an Aboriginal dialect into English and then into German, I suspect that the german word for that would be quite lengthy.

Once again MRR, leads me (and others) into a world that would never have been revealed otherwise. A local hotel was once renamed 'Turtle in the marsh' which is another interpretation of the of the locale.

A view of the main platform from the footbridge. (1976)
[Copyright: Mark Zanker ]

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
That's a nice view of the station, Adrian.

Anyway, another post with new HO stock from me: more wagons and locos arrived from Modellbahnshop-lippe yesterday, and two more wagons from a local seller just outside Melbourne. I have no doubt this is not a prototypical formation, but it is colourful! I also doubt that this particular loco, 185 540 Kassel Huskies went into Denmark, but it was a reasonably priced model from Piko to a similar specification to my previous Piko loco, 185 066. Another bargain loco from Piko (through Modellbahnshop-lippe) was a Taurus, 182 003. I'll photograph the latter two later.

P_20190306_205829_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190306_205939_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190306_205809_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190306_210053_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
QUOTE (Adrian Ross @ 7 Mar 2019, 14:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks.
What are the red coaches with the awnings? Never seen anything like that before. (3rd shot down)

They are London Transport CO/CP Stock from 1938 (retired in 1981). These were built from white metal kits and have two Black Beetle motor bogies under one of the Driving Motor cars. At risk of once more diverting this topic, here's one photo of the 5-car unit at the back, with a 4-car train of 1920 F Stock in front on the lower level of my layout, where they belong. The second photo is on the scenic photographic area I prepared just for the purpose of posing trains like multiple units. They are to OO (1/76) scale, so don't really qualify for this thread.

F Stock and COP Stock at Newton Broadway - 3 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190108_181445_vHDR_On cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

·
Administrator
10,024 Posts
I enjoyed that.

Thank you for taking the time to post it.

David

·
Registered
155 Posts
I treated myself to a G10 KPEV.

I need to take photo's of my other ROCO locomotives etc and show them on here.

andy

·
What do I put here&#33;?&#33;
883 Posts
Hi Andy (Kodiak Bear!)
Lovely!
As a fan of Prussian railways, I do love that model and I have one much the same as that. A lovely runner.
Please do show us more!
John.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good morning John,

I too am a fan of the KPEV,

I'm not sure what layout I'm going to build yet but I have a couple of ideas floating around in my empty cranium area.

Not to upset anyone but I'm not a fan of Marklin, I've always been a fan ROCO and fleischmann.

The reason for not being a Marklin fan is the metal skid under the bodies of their loco's, but when I saw the Kaiser sets, I had to get them

I'm in the process of getting rid of all my Bachmann and hornby so I can get more KPEV and DR and DB loco's

andy

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,033 ·
Andy Good afternoon nice to see another KPEV fan as well as Drg & DB. I hope i am not trying tell you how to suck eggs. Trix which is made by Marklin is the 2 Rail version and the Quality and build is just the same.
I also do not like the skid and noise it makes on the Marklin 3 rail track. All the models i have bought in the last year have been Trix and they are brilliant. Built to last many years.
Babs

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (Babz @ 14 Mar 2019, 15:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Andy Good afternoon nice to see another KPEV fan as well as Drg & DB. I hope i am not trying tell you how to suck eggs. Trix which is made by Marklin is the 2 Rail version and the Quality and build is just the same.
I also do not like the skid and noise it makes on the Marklin 3 rail track. All the models i have bought in the last year have been Trix and they are brilliant. Built to last many years.
Babs

Good evening Babs.

I honestly didn’t know that Trix were made by Märklin !

Thank you very much indeed for that bit of information Babs, most interesting.

As for KPEV, I want to find wagons, coaches etc that are from the East Prussia region.

I did find a couple of wagons that had Königsberg and Tilsit but silly me forgot to bookmark it.

Never mind, I’ll keep looking

Looking on this HO thread, there are some truly wonderful items indeed eh Babs ?

Thank you all.

andy

P.S. does anyone happen to know what name of the green paint the KPEV used please ? I found (I think) the RAL number but I’ve checked Revel, hornby etc but nothing corresponds to it. Would contacting Roco, Märklin help do you think ? Cheers everyone. andy

·
What do I put here&#33;?&#33;
883 Posts
Good Evening, Andy, Babs,
Nice to see other folk appreciate the railways of Prussia! I really must get more of my stuff photographed and posted about, probably on my layout thread though as very little is new.
Anyway, Andy - Prussian green is usually known as an Olive Green. I bought a little bottle from Weinert in a German model shop, item number: Weinert 2628, RAL: 6008. I believe the RAL numbers came to be long after the KPEV had ceased to exist however, there may have been numerous pots of such paint stored at various loco workshops. Whatever, this is probably as accurate as we can ever get without a time machine!
Please note that the Prussian railways used a wonderful red-brown underframe for their locos that is quite different to the later brighter scarlet red used by the DRG and successors. Unfortunately, while I was shopping for paint, I neglected to ask for this red-brown colour however, I would say it is quite similar to that used when the GWR had red-brown underframes.

I admire your 'Royal' train set, it is very pretty and I have lusted for it myself, fortunately for me, it is just a bit too early for me.
Are you aware that being Märklin, it is 3 rail (hence the skate)? Therefore, it will not run alongside your lovely Fleischmann BR94 0-10-0T - unless that too is a three rail version, of course. May I suggest a separate line for this one as it is a stunning model.

For hunting for new items from German ebay, I set my search for "KPEV" in "H0" but specify "Gleichstrom" (DC) and also, "Paypal" - this makes things much easier to find and be able to pay for! Obviously, they also need to be willing to ship outside Germany too.
I hope this helps,
John.

PS Good luck with selling off all that 4mm stuff - I'm still doing this too. Fortunately, it seems to fetch good prices in the UK!

·
Untitled
472 Posts
Yes. That olive and green paintwork really does it. I like KPEV, but strangely have more KWSTE loco... and KBAY rolling stock. meh.
Thanks for the photos! Brawa have also recently issued the G10 in both 3-ltr and 2-ltr versions.
Marklin acquired Trix in 1997 or thereabouts to give them access to the regular two-rail market. Most of Marklin's current (rolling) stock is based on Trix tooling from the late 1990s. A least from what I can see. If you ever come across the white 'Wedding' set, this was issued to celebrate the merger (takeover).

I have Trix freight sets that have been issued later in marklin boxes. The only difference is the wheelsets. Trix and Marklin C-track is the product prepared for 2 and 3 rail operation respectively. I run my Trix stock on Marklin track with no problem. Be careful when mixing Trix/marklin with other brands as the buffers are slightly different heights. Coupler choice is critical.

Sadly, Trix is a brand that is to neglected nowadays. TRIX (TRI-X) was one of the shakers and movers back in the day and deserves more respect from Simba Dickie now.
Go back a couple of pages, I posted my FLM T18.

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (Allegheny1600 @ 15 Mar 2019, 19:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good Evening, Andy, Babs,
Nice to see other folk appreciate the railways of Prussia! I really must get more of my stuff photographed and posted about, probably on my layout thread though as very little is new.
Anyway, Andy - Prussian green is usually known as an Olive Green. I bought a little bottle from Weinert in a German model shop, item number: Weinert 2628, RAL: 6008. I believe the RAL numbers came to be long after the KPEV had ceased to exist however, there may have been numerous pots of such paint stored at various loco workshops. Whatever, this is probably as accurate as we can ever get without a time machine!
Please note that the Prussian railways used a wonderful red-brown underframe for their locos that is quite different to the later brighter scarlet red used by the DRG and successors. Unfortunately, while I was shopping for paint, I neglected to ask for this red-brown colour however, I would say it is quite similar to that used when the GWR had red-brown underframes.

I admire your 'Royal' train set, it is very pretty and I have lusted for it myself, fortunately for me, it is just a bit too early for me.
Are you aware that being Märklin, it is 3 rail (hence the skate)? Therefore, it will not run alongside your lovely Fleischmann BR94 0-10-0T - unless that too is a three rail version, of course. May I suggest a separate line for this one as it is a stunning model.

For hunting for new items from German ebay, I set my search for "KPEV" in "H0" but specify "Gleichstrom" (DC) and also, "Paypal" - this makes things much easier to find and be able to pay for! Obviously, they also need to be willing to ship outside Germany too.
I hope this helps,
John.

PS Good luck with selling off all that 4mm stuff - I'm still doing this too. Fortunately, it seems to fetch good prices in the UK!

Good morning John,

Many thanks for the Weinert 2628 information.

I just looked on fleabay and there is only one seller that has it and the postage is eye watering for just one item.

I'll look for other paints this seller has to make it worthwhile posting to the uk.

Thank you too for the settings on fleabay and I think I'll try that too ref KPEV.

Kind regards

andy

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Vallejo paints have a "European railways set" that contains the olive green etc... Model Number for the set is 71191: The olive green is 70967

They are nice paints to work with... and spray beautifully

regards

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi Richard,
Thank you for that Vallejo European railways set, I will certainly grab that set.

I heartily concur with you about Vallejo, I have found their paint to be fantastic.

Though I don’t have many Vallejo paints, I hope to get the entire lot of their range of paints. I do have the majority of the Lifecolour paints.

Thank you all

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here is the rest of my German locomotive collection...........

The following pictures I found really interesting and so I might purchase them next.

Does anyone else find them interesting ?

andy

1021 - 1040 of 1503 Posts