Model Railway Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1502 Posts

·
What do I put here!?!
883 Posts
Hi Andy,
Why, certainly, sir! I sure do find them fascinating.
I am still to get a modern 'Kof' (the class 333) and a BR80, how does that run, please?
Your last two pics, I think the first one, 71.509 is actually an Austrian "Anschluss" (wartime) loco. Not a particularly attractive machine IMHO but others probably like it, else it wouldn't be preserved or modelled!
The last pic is a Bavarian (K.Bay.Sts.B.) "Glaskasten or Glass castle" - I have two of these, one by Roco with sound(!), one by Trix and both fabulous runners. I still find it hard to believe that Roco managed to put sound into something so small but they did and it is really good.
Cheers,
John.

PS Many thanks for your comment on my layout thread, very kind!

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (Allegheny1600 @ 18 Mar 2019, 13:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Andy,
Why, certainly, sir! I sure do find them fascinating.
I am still to get a modern 'Kof' (the class 333) and a BR80, how does that run, please?
Your last two pics, I think the first one, 71.509 is actually an Austrian "Anschluss" (wartime) loco. Not a particularly attractive machine IMHO but others probably like it, else it wouldn't be preserved or modelled!
The last pic is a Bavarian (K.Bay.Sts.B.) "Glaskasten or Glass castle" - I have two of these, one by Roco with sound(!), one by Trix and both fabulous runners. I still find it hard to believe that Roco managed to put sound into something so small but they did and it is really good.
Cheers,
John.

PS Many thanks for your comment on my layout thread, very kind!

Evening John,

First off, I’ll PM you about the kof (333) and the 80 is a Roco made locomotive, it still runs smooth as silk.

71.509 I think looks great, it may not be pretty but it has a certain charm to it. I’m trying to imagine it or the glass castle pulling a rake of 12 coaches and provide steam heating into the mix too.

As for a sound fitting in the Glaskasten, it must be a very tiny chip and speaker indeed but I bet knowing the germans it must sound great.

Thanks John

andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 18 Mar 2019, 21:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>An interesting and varied collection. I like those last two odd-ball devices!

I heartily concur with you there SRman, indeed they are oddball looking but they do look snazzy and wacky

andy

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Andy,
A little about your glass box 4510... There were several versions of glass box which were built from around 1905. Some early versions were scrapped even before DRG came into being. But two types survived into the DB days. 4510 (built by Krauss in 1908) was known in DB days as 98 301 and actually survived until 1961. Together with another lcoo of the same type, 98 307 (formerly Bavarian number 4529), they were famous for operating the branchline from Georgensgmuend to Spalt. 98 307 is actually preserved. So 98 301 to 98 309 were of this type, with the drive direct onto a crankshaft whereas the other survivors, numbered 98 310 to 98 322, were of a visibly similar type first introduced in 1910 but in this series, the drive was more conventional, direct onto the second axle. I think that the new Matrix models are of this later type if you care to look for them. Top speed was 50km/h.
To know why such strange locos were produced, you must understand a little about Bavarian railway history and how little branchlines sprung up, connecting small country towns to the main lines. Some of these branches were very lightly laid, and were best served by small tank engines. The glass box was developed such that only one operator was necessary - saving the cost of a driver plus a fireman. Some of the other lines they regularly worked were Funfstetten to Monheim, Gundelfingen to Sontheim, Amberg to Schnaittenbach, Tittmoning to Wiesmuehl and other locations across the length and breadth of Bavaria.
One machine 98 304 even made it into the Austrian loco list in the 1950s as 688.01 and was stationed in Vienna for a while.
Cheers,

·
Untitled
472 Posts
QUOTE (6991 @ 20 Mar 2019, 09:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Andy,
A little about your glass box 4510... There were several versions of glass box which were built from around 1905. Some early versions were scrapped even before DRG came into being. But two types survived into the DB days. 4510 (built by Krauss in 1908) was known in DB days as 98 301 and actually survived until 1961. Together with another lcoo of the same type, 98 307 (formerly Bavarian number 4529), they were famous for operating the branchline from Georgensgmuend to Spalt. 98 307 is actually preserved. So 98 301 to 98 309 were of this type, with the drive direct onto a crankshaft whereas the other survivors, numbered 98 310 to 98 322, were of a visibly similar type first introduced in 1910 but in this series, the drive was more conventional, direct onto the second axle. I think that the new Matrix models are of this later type if you care to look for them. Top speed was 50km/h.
To know why such strange locos were produced, you must understand a little about Bavarian railway history and how little branchlines sprung up, connecting small country towns to the main lines. Some of these branches were very lightly laid, and were best served by small tank engines. The glass box was developed such that only one operator was necessary - saving the cost of a driver plus a fireman. Some of the other lines they regularly worked were Funfstetten to Monheim, Gundelfingen to Sontheim, Amberg to Schnaittenbach, Tittmoning to Wiesmuehl and other locations across the length and breadth of Bavaria.
One machine 98 304 even made it into the Austrian loco list in the 1950s as 688.01 and was stationed in Vienna for a while.
Cheers,

Thanks for the history lesson. I learned a similar one when trying to find a loco for my Hellentalbahn carriage set.
I mentioned the marklin/Trix merger/marriage train earlier in this discussion.Maybe Trix 21221 would be interesting to you?
The Glaskasten is also in this year's Marklin lineup; not sure about the Trix version.I would have said "Glass Case" myself...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Just arrived today: DB InterCity double deck set (Twindexx) from Brawa. This is a fully featured DCC set of three cars, and I chose this livery as being one of the easiest to convert to DSB with a dark blue band between the decks for the length of each carriage ... once I get brave enough to go anywhere near them with paint! I know these aren't 100% correct for the Danish versions, most notably the doors on the intermediate coaches, which should be the same as on the driving trailer. Also, the front end light style is a later pattern than the DSB stock. However, in the absence of the HobbyTrade DSB version, these are probably the most convenient type currently available for me to consider.

P_20190320_204339_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190320_204220_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190320_204244_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190320_204258_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

I was going to say that these are probably my last extravagance with the railways of Europe, but I do have a few more wagons on the way, and I will have one last fling when the A.C.M.E. DSB EA electric loco hits the shelves later this year.

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (6991 @ 19 Mar 2019, 22:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Andy,
Cheers,

Interesting, thank you 6991.

I don't have the loco's yet but I think I will get them sometime this year.

QUOTE (Adrian Ross @ 20 Mar 2019, 07:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the history lesson. I learned a similar one when trying to find a loco for my Hellentalbahn carriage set.
I mentioned the marklin/Trix merger/marriage train earlier in this discussion.Maybe Trix 21221 would be interesting to you?
The Glaskasten is also in this year's Marklin lineup; not sure about the Trix version.I would have said "Glass Case" myself...

Hi Adrian, I must admit, the Trix items look crisp and well detailed. Thank you.

QUOTE (SRman @ 20 Mar 2019, 10:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just arrived today: DB InterCity double deck set (Twindexx) from Brawa. This is a fully featured DCC set of three cars, and I chose this livery as being one of the easiest to convert to DSB with a dark blue band between the decks for the length of each carriage ... once I get brave enough to go anywhere near them with paint! I know these aren't 100% correct for the Danish versions, most notably the doors on the intermediate coaches, which should be the same as on the driving trailer. Also, the front end light style is a later pattern than the DSB stock. However, in the absence of the HobbyTrade DSB version, these are probably the most convenient type currently available for me to consider.

P_20190320_204339_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190320_204220_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190320_204244_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190320_204258_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

I was going to say that these are probably my last extravagance with the railways of Europe, but I do have a few more wagons on the way, and I will have one last fling when the A.C.M.E. DSB EA electric loco hits the shelves later this year.

Wow, some fantastic photos there SRman, great DB double deckers

Good luck with re-painting them

andy

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Still in keeping with my Danish/European sub-theme, I managed to purchase a reasonably priced ESU LokSound v. 4 decoder brand new. I downloaded a sound file from ESU's online libraries of sound projects for a Danish DSB ME diesel-electric locomotive and fitted the decoder into my HobbyTrade example of this locomotive type.

I used two differently sized 'sugar cube' speakers to get a better tonal range - the bigger double with large sound chamber I wanted to put in was too big to fit. I wasn't thinking and instead of wiring them in parallel to achieve a 4 ohm total rating, I wired them in series, giving 16 ohm impedance, but it actually worked very well this way, with nice clear and loud sound: loud enough that I had to turn the volume down quite a lot with CV 63 now set to 80 instead of the default 192. I think the horn volumes may need to be increased a little though, which is possible but I'll have to look for the correct CV values for those two sound slots.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/cN8YMdH77cw?rel=0

·
What do I put here&#33;?&#33;
883 Posts
Isn't it amazing that with a Lokprogrammer and a suitable decoder, you can download whichever sounds you wish for a vast array of different locos?

All except British ones, of course!

This REALLY annoys me - that EU, US, World loco sounds are available freely yet British ones are not. Anyone else feel the same? Anyone know why this is?
Cheers,
John.

PS well done, Jeff - enjoy!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bought my first Trix locomotive.......

A nice looking loco but in my opinion, nothing can touch Roco.

andy

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Speaking of Roco (in my last post), the last three freight wagons for my European train have arrived over the last couple of weeks. All three wagons are from Roco, with an articulated pair of container/swap body type wagons, and two articulated pairs of intermodal pocket wagons. I have added all of the supplied details to each wagon and truck. I'll eventually add a bit of weathering to ach of the wagons and their loads, but for the present I am very impressed with the quality and detail on all of them.

P_20190403_230853_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190403_230909_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190403_230921_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bought some DB loco's........

The BR98 looks odd (like me) but i like it

andy

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
An impulse buy: a Piko Expert DB BR 112 electric locomotive from Modellbahnshop-lippe, with their usual excellent service. This has DCC lighting functions the way all of the British models should have ... and the Australian NSW interurban EMU I have from Auscision too (which I was rather disappointed with as far as separate DCC control of the lights went). The BR 112 uses a PLuX 22 pin decoder (I bought an ESU LokPilot at the same time as the loco).

The headlights come on with F0 and are directional; F1 and F2 control the tail lights separately at each end (one function for each direction). Likewise, the cab lights come on with F5 and F6, and the destination indicators work on F7 and F8. The detailing on the model is very good too.

P_20190426_194144_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190426_194209_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190426_194250_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

·
Registered
155 Posts
That looks nice SRman.

I too purchased a Piko loco and was surprised at how well detailed it was.

I'll be honest, when I was stationed in Berlin nearly 30 years ago, I saw Piko items and I was never impressed with their stuff, it looked very much like hornby items, cheap looking.

Happy modelling everyone

andy

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Latest project, Post4-b/21 skirted Liliput/Bachman model, Requires respray to chrome oxide green RAL 6020, inscriptions for Deutsche Bundespost epoch IIIb, from Gassner (coach lettering), Spieth ( Post insignia) and modellbahndecals.de ( coach side external letter boxes).

Rectangle Rolling stock Font Technology Electronic device

Regards
David

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 27 Apr 2019, 11:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Andy,

The newer Piko models are very well made, the BR 82 is a DB standard loco of post 1945 build.

Very nice model, even on par with the Model loco kit.

Regards
David

Yes, piko are very well made.

I’ve given up on modelling British railways and sold 99% of it off.

After digging out some of my old Roco stuff I thought, I’ll do a couple of German layouts and start collecting the locomotives and rolling stock.
Once the warmer weather gets here, I’ll start building the baseboard’s but for the moment, I’m constructing the buildings and painting figures.

So, thank you David and I hope all goes well with your DB Post carriage.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Hello Andy,

Yes, not bad for under a tenner!

I do not buy new, second hand can be good, use as a basis and super detail, it's like going back to 1970's modelling.
There are so many supporting detailing parts in Germany, so sourcing parts is not an issue.
Most contact can be in English and Paypal is now being widely accepted.

Enjoy.
Regards
David

1041 - 1060 of 1502 Posts