Model Railway Forum banner
1081 - 1100 of 1314 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
My latest H0 purchase is this Roco Class 132 Diesel in East German DR livery, road number 132 097-7, nicknamed 'Ludmilla'. As a child and young adult, I've been on many a train pulled by one of these, and a great number of this type are still operated by both Deutsche Bahn and various private companies.

This one is driven on all six axles, which is important to me because she's pulling my cleaning train. A very smooth runner and equipped with a Zimo sound decoder.

However, it turned out that the sound loaded into that decoder was rather basic and not very representative of both the prototype and the decoder's capabilities. In fact, this is what it sounded like originally:

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/drSnvQICrBQ?rel=0

So I did some research, and it appears that one of the authoritative makers of sound projects for this and other German locos is Matthias Henning from Germany. His sound project can be obtained from the net and loaded into the decoder. But you need special equipment for that, which I don't have. Luckily, a fellow user on this forum owned one of these devices and was willing to assist in updating the sound.

So, thanks to hoonsou from this forum, my Ludmilla now sounds like this (and is possibly the best sounding Ludmilla on this continent):

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/h5-ab8h-5Kw?rel=0

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Hi all,
Nobody seams to be buying much over the last few months
So I decided to treat myself to an early Christmas present

Trix 22029 G 5/5 was on special from MSL and I saw this Trix 23057 functioning steam crane and couldn't resist

Gives me time to save up for another Christmas present nearer the time

I will try to do a video of the crane in action
Regards
Alan

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have had a few recent purchases (mostly second-hand): a Swedish Railways (SJ) double-deck car carrier twin set made by Hobby Trade, a Roco DB BR 151 which has proved to be a very sweet runner, and something I have been looking for for some time, a Hobby Trade Danish (DSB) double-deck driving trailer. I am still keeping an eye open for further Hobby Trade double-deck cars, as I need three or four centre coaches to go with the driving trailer to complete a nice push-pull regional set, but not at ridiculous prices.

P_20191108_164329_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20191108_164317_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20191108_164343_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20191108_164403_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
As promised, a video of the crane working.
A bogie has fallen onto the tracks and the crane is called in to help remove it.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//tc4YV4_7vuw?rel=0

This is a beautiful model with great detail, functional crane, smoke generator, cab lighting, work lights on the boom, operational sounds and additional sounds including "hammering" and "angle grinder"
I have only one criticism, and it is quite major in my opinion. The hook and pulley unit should have been made of brass or something heavier than the plastic it IS made from. Although the pulleys are metal, there is not enough weight to lower the hook without a load attached,hence the split in the video. there is even a "Special Notes" leaflet in the pack advising that if you try to lower the hook with no load, the cables may become twisted. They say its because of the prototypical cable guides, but I doubt the original cranes had that issue ! I now find myself looking for ways to add weight to the hook without it looking too obvious. A small piece of self adhesive lead tape cut to size on each side of the pulley housing will be my first try

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Alanoes, that crane looks superb. I love the actions.

The thing about the lack of weight in the hook is a major downer, but not insurmountable. Would it be possible to get an impression of the existing plastic hook and cast a replacement in lead? I did something like that with an old (non-operational) Hornby crane I tarted up, mainly to stop the cables jumping off their rollers when travelling. This was for the same reasons you experienced, in that the hook was way too light and so allowed the cables to 'float'.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,088 ·
Hi alan and everyone very nice lok and crane it is one i would have liked in my collection. So i had a look on MSL and i nearly choked on my coffee when i saw the Price. I just bought 2 secondhand G Scale loks for not even the price. LGB Krokodile and LGB Mallett. Enjoy the model.
Babs

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 8 Nov 2019, 23:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Alanoes, that crane looks superb. I love the actions.

The thing about the lack of weight in the hook is a major downer, but not insurmountable. Would it be possible to get an impression of the existing plastic hook and cast a replacement in lead? I did something like that with an old (non-operational) Hornby crane I tarted up, mainly to stop the cables jumping off their rollers when travelling. This was for the same reasons you experienced, in that the hook was way too light and so allowed the cables to 'float'.

Thanks for your comments SRman
I have now got over the problem
Cut some pieces of self adhesive lead tape to shape and stuck them to the sided of the hook/pulley assembly.

Then painted them up.

Doesn't look too bad from a distance and does the job. Also the tape can be removed for whatever reason and I have not damaged or altered the model in any way

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//6_V7OO5IjWM?rel=0

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
QUOTE (Babz @ 9 Nov 2019, 20:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi alan and everyone very nice lok and crane it is one i would have liked in my collection. So i had a look on MSL and i nearly choked on my coffee when i saw the Price.
Babs

I know how you feel Babz but I couldn't resist the temptation. to be honest I've had that and several other locos on reserve at MSL for a while, and although the release dates were reasonably spread apart, they've all started arriving together

I still have the Trix 22403 S3/6 and two ESU tank locos on reserve, If they all turn up too quickly I'll have to remortgage the house.

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Hi all,
Just arrived from MSL, Trix 22403 ( S 3/6. ) Another one I had on reservation, they're coming thick and fast

Only have the two ESU tank locos left on reservations now, they were supposed to be released 1st quarter of 2019

Another lovely model from Trix with plenty of sound functions, built in smoke generator , detailed cab with lighting .

Sorry about the out of focus bits on the video

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//rd4e4Fv0xVg?rel=0

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,095 ·
Alan very nice set of purchase indeed especialy the lovely big tender lok. The only items i purchased in HO recently is the ACME railalpin coaches to go with my Hag Bls car carrier wagons. I hope you get many hours of enjoyment from them. I like uour solution to thecrane problem shame that you had to do it and not Trix/ Marklin. Babs

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
3624 Trix loco
Alan, I’ll give you some history on your loco.
It’s a model of a Bavarian S3/6 loco, this is true, but the prototype of your model has some distinguishing features. The S3/6 was an iconic class of locomotive in the overall scheme of 20th Century German locos. A total of 179 locos were built in 15 series, between 1908 and 1930. The first series S3/6 with Bavarian numbers 3601-7 were delivered between July and November 1908. Subsequent series were designated with a small letter. Thus the 2nd series (10 locos delivered in 1909, running numbers 3608-17) is referred to as S3/6a, the 3rd (just one loco delivered in 1911, running number 3618) as S3/6b and so on. The last 4 series S3/6 l, m, n and o were delivered after establishment of the DRG, thus they never carried Bavarian numbers, just the DRG numbers 18 509 to 18 548. In fact, 30 out of the 40 locos of these last series were rebuilt between 1953 and 1957 as the DB class 18.6 with running numbers between 18 601 and 18 630.
The first 23 locos were running successfully by June 1911 but in the summer timetable of 1911, the Bayerischen Staatseisenbahn announced that D39/40 would run between Munich and Nurnberg non-stop and D57/58 between Munich and Wuerzburg non-stop, after raising the highest permitted speeds on these lines from 100 to 110 km/h. Realising that the setup on the series S3/6c had just about reached maximum power output (officially rated at 1660hp), Maffei increased the driving wheel diameter from 1.87m to 2m and by reworking the cylinder set up and other minor changes could increase the maximum power output to 1815hp. 18 locos were delivered in this format in 2 series (S3/6d and S3/6e). They looked different because they did not have the pointy aerodynamic cab of the previous locos. Now here is where you come in, 3624 was the first loco in series S3/6d of 2m locos. It was delivered on 22/03/1912 and after initial testing entered full service on 05/05/1912 working out of Bw Nuernberg I, where ultimately 12 of the 18 were initially based (the others being at Munich I). They worked over most of the Bavarian system.
These 18 locos were/are nicknamed “Hochhaxige”. Now I have heard a lot of different translations of what this fairly simple compound noun is supposed to mean, but I prefer something like the ‘long-legged’ locos which makes more sense than ‘high-legged’ or anything else I’ve read.
After WWI and the DRG renumbering, the Hochhaxige locos were numbered 18 441 to 18 458. Bavarian loco 3624, subject of the Trix model, became 18 441. All these 18 locos survived WWII and, like the remaining locos of series S3/6 to S3/6h, were mainly withdrawn from service around 1950 or so from depots the length and breadth of Bavaria.
One notable exception was 3634/18 451 which you can still see today in the Transport Museum in Munich in magnificent original Bavarian Green livery. This was a very important loco in the modern DB scheme of things. This loco was used for a very important test by the DB Loco testing facility at Minden on May 2nd 1951. On this day, coupled to 3 of the brand new double decker coaches (and with extension planks on the tender to enable more coal to be carried), 18 451 ran from Hamburg to Munich, 820km (512 miles) to the timetable of Ft56, the fast diesel unit train Vt04/Vt06, only taking water at the scheduled stops. Then, after replenishing coal/water and without visiting the ash pit, it made the return journey. This run helped to set up the final timetables for the famous Blue F-zug network, which began a month or so later with the summer 1951 timetable.
Now let’s look at the model. Trix had planned a model of the Hochhaxige, cat #22038 to 22041, plus the Epoch 3a version, for release at a time I think from memory just after the GFC, and unsurprisingly maybe, it was cancelled. However, I was at the time, under the impression that a fair amount of work had been done. The mocked-up pictures looked quite good, you can still find them online. Maybe therefore not so much a surprise ‘surprise release’ this year.
I’m glad that ‘features’ are ok, I’ll stay clear of commenting on the external detailing and appearance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got a basically new set of Southern Rail Models VAK coal hoppers, as used in Queensland. Been chasing another one but they’ve been sold out for ages. Got this one barely used for $100 below retail price.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
For a slightly whimsical diversion, I have just bought some second-hand items from a reputable German eBay seller. This is my Christmas train, although I intend painting and decorating the extra green coaches I bought into something slightly more festive, all at reasonable prices. The BR 89 locomotive was mistakenly labelled as being a Roco item and came in a Roco, but is actually a Fleischmann item, which proved to be an excellent runner on DC, and also not too difficult to eventually convert to DCC. The seller was apologetic for the error and even offered a partial refund (which I declined with thanks), but the only difficulty I face from the error is the couplings, which are not in NEM pockets and therefore difficult to change.

Once I put our Christmas tree up, I'll pose a photo on some track under that too.

Anyway, here it is as it came out of the box(es).

P_20191211_210611_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20191211_210632_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20191211_210624_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I don't think I've posted any photos in here for over a year because the forum software was hideously unresponsive which meant that any operation involved long waits between page updates. Then as if by magic with no notification, I realised in replying to a query about posting photos that I was getting pretty much instant page updates so I thought maybe I could start posting again.

While I have not been posting, I have still been building my collection, note I haven't said modelling or layout building because nothing has happened on that front for a very long time. So here are some of the new additions in no particular order.

All my freight wagons are chosen by the loads they carry. To qualify they must have appeared in a youtube video of the Brenner Pass. This one is an ACME wagon with containers from the Schmidt Group:

Tank containers are frequently seen on the Brenner route. In 2018 Roco announced their first tank container loads. Tanks from Rinnen are a frequent sight.

Paneuropa trailers are also frequently seen. This pair is on a Rocky Rail wagon set.

Despite being over 40 years old there are still some BR 151 locomotives in service with the Lokomotion company acting as bankers on the Brenner route south bound to the summit. This is a sound equipped Roco model.

Regular readers of this topic will know that I already have a number of 1216s and don't really need anymore but I am an admirer of Leonardo da Vinci for the breadth of his abilities, especially as an engineer and inventor. Once Roco / OBB had published an online tracker for this loco's whereabouts and I found that the Brenner was in its schedule, resistance was futile. I am pleased I succumbed, this is a gorgeous model. The two sides are different, I don't have 'A' and 'B' models.

The last model in this set is a Viessmann Rodel self propelled maintenance vehicle. It is DCC, has sound and the crane on the back rotates under DCC control. There is a cam which lowers the jib as the crane rotates.

David

1081 - 1100 of 1314 Posts