Model Railway Forum banner
1121 - 1140 of 1483 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Hi all
Hope you are coping with the lockdown
One positive is that I can get on with the layout.
I got this rake of Roco DB local line coaches from MSL, but they didn't have the V36 diesel loco to go with them, luckily I managed to get one from A & H
The brake / baggage car has its own decoder with 2 sections of switchable interior lights and switchable rear lights
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//gXY9NDdhE7M?rel=0

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,122 ·
Good Morning Alan and everyone else like those coaches i nearly went for them but decided not to. Do they have lighting in all 4 .Is there any other lok that goes with them or just the one you have. Stay well everyone. Babs

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Hi Babs
No , there is only DCC controlled lighting in the brake cab (74263), hence the cost of over double the others, but you can , and I will retrofit lighting in the others.
Not sure about other locos, on the MSL site it says the V36 "Is the perfect match", but I did a little search and it seems that Roco used to do a set with these Donnerbuchsen coaches and a class 86 tank loco.
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I have replaced my 2 Fleischmann Edelwiess tank locos (4033's) I think they were, with 2 Fleischmann 430073 DCC sound eLoks

I have a "push pull" shuttle line with a passing track (hence the two locos), that runs from the main station on the bottom level up through 2 levels to a small station at the top.
The 4033's were DC and worked fine when I ran DC. But when I converted the layout to DCC I had the two locos converted to DCC sound, and to be honest they never ran very well after that.
I don't think they ever made a DCC version of the 4033 and the 430073 are no longer made, I had to search quite a bit to find 2 new ones !

STEAM MEETS ELECTRIC

I have now set myself a project to do during lockdown, to install a catenary line (non electrified) on that one shuttle line . Hoping I can still get the gear ordered and delivered

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Hi all
Hope you're all well in these testing times.
This arrived a few days ago. Roco 70202 DR 0201.
I back ordered it with a UK shop (Hampshire Model Railways I think ) as my usual goto shop (MSL) didn't have it or a reservation option. Although I do have the DB coaches that go with it on reservation with them.

I don't know why Photobucket have started watermarking the pics, but I can have a good guess

During lockdown, I've been tinkering with train Controller Gold, and with the help of Ruud Boer, have created some schedules, with starting function sequences.
All this happens with just the click of a virtual button on the computer screen

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//DaaFBkhWRrk?rel=0

Stay Safe everyone
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Hi Alan Good Afternoon I saw your post late last night and was to tired to reply The Roco 70202 DR 0201 is a very very nice Dampf indeed I bought a couple a few of years ago one with sound and one without. There is a Double tender version sometimes produced and i have also seen a separate Tender on occasions Weinert also used to do a separate Tender but it is way above my skill level. It is a stunning Dampf. I managed to get a few years ago The DR Coaches by BRAWA 45361, 45363, 45364, 45371 which were on a deal at the time. I hope you enjy it as much as i have.
Regarding your post with the Little Elok I have a green version by Trix 21254 similar with coaches, and the Fleischmann Dampf BR33 Fl4033 and the Dampf i have in Blue has a Cog wheel on the Bottom to engage with cog track. Have not had them out for ages.

Making slow progress with my layout I am using woodland Scenics Underlay to deaden the Noise on the Baseboards really great and easy to use You have to cut out points but it is very easy and all links very smoothly together.
Over the last week or so i have been running in certain loks and installing decoders with great success.

Did by a A.C.M.E Elok from Msl went to put a decoder in it and some cables from the wheel contacts had come off my skiil level soldering is not that high so i am getting a replacement Also they had a lovely Gold embossed covering on the box but it has bubbled Disappointing I then looked on the bottom of the box and guess where it was made Made in China it will be the last one i buy of that company.
Stay Safe Enjoy your models as long as you can
Babs

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
One more for my small European collection: a BR 432 electric in Railpool Infraleunar livery from Piko. This one, 432 037-9 came from Modellbahn shop-lippe as B-ware so was at a reasonable price for a locomotive in Piko's Expert range. Nothing wrong with the locomotive, just the box was scuffed and marked slightly. Running qualities were great on Dc, even better after I fitted a Lenz Standard+ v2 decoder.

P_20200422_132012_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,128 ·
Good Afternoon Everyone I hope you are all Safe and Well Just took delivery of this Monster wagon 18 axles and 99% made in Metal true trix fashion I know why i needed to make my Curves on my Layout 4 & 3 Radius Hope you like it I sure do. Babs

·
Registered
86 Posts
I recently acquired this beautiful model of a German BR 753 Diesel, a prototype to the BR 217.

Unfortunately the window of cab 2 got loose, and I am having a hard time fixing that, because I can't figure out how to remove the cab inserts from the shell... Other than that it's a lovely loco. Nice detail level, smooth runner.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I bid on a couple of auction items from Abbey Auctions here in Melbourne, held today - they had a lot of model railway items from Europe, Britain and the US. I was interested in a couple of Roco items to add to my modest European HO collection, and, as it turned out, I was the only bidder on both, so got them both at their starting prices.

The SBB Re 4/4 IV is an earlier Roco model which is not DCC-ready, but ran very nicely on test on straight DC, so will be an easy hard-wire job. I had to do a very small repair on one of the pantographs as the link that springs the upper half dropped off its location on the arm. Cost? $AUS100 plus the fees.

I've had a good look inside the Re 4/4 IV loco, and the actual DCC hard-wire conversion will be quite easy. The circuit board is logical and easy to follow, so cutting the tracks for the lighting and power to the brushes will be simple enough. My biggest problem is going to be where to locate a decoder, as there isn't much spare room inside.

P_20200509_133244_vHDR_Auto by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

The second purchase was a real extravagence on my part, as I had admired the huge LKAB IORE locomotives on the Narvik railway line, but could not justify a new one at full price. Anyway, I got this one for $AUS300 plus the fees, so pretty well at half price. It was boxed with all the leaflets and the booklet, and all the add-on parts. It took me a while to work out how the electrical coupling between the two units worked, but I got there eventually.

Again, testing on DC worked beautifully, so I got out a brand new Lenz Standard+ v2 decoder and tried to program it, but it gave me a heap of trouble, to the point that I tested the decoder in a known working locomotive. It failed that test too, so may be faulty, or may have wiring defect on the 8-pin plug. I put another new Lenz decoder in and away it went; programming was successful and all lights worked. I put it to work on a British train of Bachmann JGA roadstone hoppers (not accurate of course for this locomotive) and posed it for the photos. Locomotive units 105 and 106 are shown here, having driven under their own power to the location for the photo.

P_20200509_132914_vHDR_Auto by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20200509_132944_vHDR_Auto by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

·
Registered
86 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 8 May 2020, 10:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice, Alex. Who made that model?

I always rather liked the appearance of the BR 210 family, with much more of an attempt at styling than many British diesels had.

That model is from Liliput. I've been after a loco like this for a train project, but I specifically wanted it in this colour scheme. The alternative option would have been a BR221 in oceanblue/beige. This one was a bargain on eBay, basically new in its original box for AU$150 shipped from the UK. It's not 100% prototypical for my train, since the 753s never did any passenger service - but hey, my railway, my rules

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,133 ·
Hello SR Man very nice Purchases indeed. The4/4 is a nice Elok i have 6 of them. There is a guy in Vienna who does replacement boards and weights so that they become ready to accept a decoder/ Sound. It also gives led type lights if that sthe right way to say it. I have all 6 of mine converted and they run nicely. I put a Zimo decoder without sound that works very well. Babs

·
Registered
261 Posts
Alan, I've had a couple of occasions when the MSL website doesn't list a new item so you can reserve it but if you message them through the website, they'll add it for you and then you can reserve it.

The DR BR 02 201 looks stunning

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,136 ·
Alex Good Afternoon, Forgive me for not replying sooner Yes it is the Gentleman He is excellent i Met him at Intermodellbau in I last ordered in Feb 2019 and he took forever to do the order. I thought he had gone bust but gladly he had not. The Elok you were doing is not great for sound so in the end i just put a Zimo Decoder without sound. Thank You once again
Babs

·
Registered
866 Posts
Lockdown is a dangerous thing.

About a year ago, I bought a set of Liliput Rheingold coaches (set 820). The advert said they were 'like new', the coaches that arrived were anything but - broken details, bits missing and a rather hamfisted attempt to fit lighting.

Rather disheartened, but too lazy to return them, they languished in the garage until a few weeks ago when I decided to have a go at resurrecting them. Scouring eBay for spare parts (roof ventilators, as it happens), I stumbled across this set. Liliput 860, circa 1987, and representing a CIWL train from approx 1910. Once I saw them, I had to have them!

They're in pretty good nick. Not perfect - the previous owner has made a decent job of fitting the railings on the clerestory roof and a less good job of fitting the various ladders and corridor connectors - but still very presentable. The couple of minor bits of damage are easily fixed. The door handrails are, I'm told, notoriously fragile and the set that came with the coaches looks incomplete. Fortunately there is someone in Germany who makes brass replacements and who will be getting a call.

The icing on the cake is the factory fitted lighting to the sleepers and dining cars, which is beautifully atmospheric. The only downside is that with six bogies fitted with wipers, the rake is not exactly free-running.

Overall then, a thing of beauty and a rake I'm very pleased to own.

Final point: I've not got a big collection of European outline models but whenever I do dip my toe in the water, the comparison between contemporary UK and EU models always amazes me. Compare these with the rubbish that Hornby and Lima were flooding the UK market with in 1987! I've heard all the arguments - the UK market won't accept the high prices that the European modellers will, etc, etc. But I'm fairly convinced that if my local model shop (Geoff Barlow's in Poole) had stocked models of this quality, then I'd have saved the money wasted on the Margate product and bought a smaller quantity of 'the good stuff'. I guess this was the market that Mainline, Airfix et al were trying to access, but even their stuff pales by comparison.

Ok, rant over, apologies. See, I told you lockdown was dangerous, too much time to think.....

Cheers
Adrian

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Love those old-timers, Adrian. So full of character.

As a bit of a contrast, my doorbell rang early this morning, and my latest purchase from eBay arrived from Denmark. I have been after one of these units in proper DSB livery for some time, and ths one turned up at a good price so I jumped in and bought it. It is a Heljan DSB IC3 unit, no. 5003/5203. It met my condition that it had to have the later style centrally mounted can motor with flywheel drive (the earliest models had a ratehr inadequate SPUD motor bogie), and this one came with a bonus, in that it was already DCC-fitted with an ESU decoder.

A quick test on my programming track showed all was well, and a short run fully assembled on my main lines proved it to be a very smooth and quiet runner. I need to tuck the wires between cars away a bit to get them sitting properly, but this was the first quick set up.

I do have a previously purchased unit, but that was in Swedish Kustpilen livery as their Y2 class.

Anyway, I am feeling very pleased with myself now.

P_20200617_102410_vHDR_Auto by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20200617_102457_vHDR_Auto by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Hi Adrian,
That's a fine set of wagons, they look grand. Now the million dollar question is.......what are you going to buy to pull them?
You said 1910, and this is the Orient Express set, so there are some options. Authentic locos for this period would be Roco 63362 (early series green Bavarian S3/6) for the bits between Ulm and Munich to Salzburg, or Roco 43259 for the bits around Stuttgart to Ulm. The only locos for the stretch from Kehl to Stuttgart at this time would be the Baden IVf but these have never been made by a 'big' manufacturer as models, only the Micrometakit finescale people.
Liliput and Matrix had some nice models of the Baden IVh class, but these are post WWI and wouldn't be quite suitable for the wagons.
Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
866 Posts
QUOTE (6991 @ 17 Jun 2020, 11:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Adrian,
That's a fine set of wagons, they look grand. Now the million dollar question is.......what are you going to buy to pull them?
You said 1910, and this is the Orient Express set, so there are some options. Authentic locos for this period would be Roco 63362 (early series green Bavarian S3/6) for the bits between Ulm and Munich to Salzburg, or Roco 43259 for the bits around Stuttgart to Ulm. The only locos for the stretch from Kehl to Stuttgart at this time would be the Baden IVf but these have never been made by a 'big' manufacturer as models, only the Micrometakit finescale people.
Liliput and Matrix had some nice models of the Baden IVh class, but these are post WWI and wouldn't be quite suitable for the wagons.
Hope this is helpful.

Hi 6991,

Many thanks for the advice/info - very much appreciated.

As it happens, I have an S3/6 in Bavarian green (Liliput 1800). It's an older model and needs a little fettling but should look the part. The green is a brighter green than the Roco 63362. Is that significant (i.e. different periods) or just two manufacturers' differing interpretations of the same colour?

Cheers
Adrian

1121 - 1140 of 1483 Posts