Model Railway Forum banner
1261 - 1280 of 1314 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
QUOTE (Alex Hempel @ 4 May 2021, 07:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SRMan, I like the Flixtrain coaches, but why are the open wagons in the last photo full of figurines?

A bit like The Hithhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the are waiting to be deployed and brought to life!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
QUOTE (Alex Hempel @ 4 May 2021, 14:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah well, at least this way you don't have to carry them to where they need to be

One of those other wagons in that rake has all the loose bits and pieces that have fallen off rolling stock as it went around the layout. Some I know what they came off, others I have no idea whatsoever!

·
In depth idiot
7,684 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 4 May 2021, 06:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...One of those other wagons in that rake has all the loose bits and pieces that have fallen off rolling stock as it went around the layout. Some I know what they came off, others I have no idea whatsoever!
I am not the only one who does that then! I have been using my engineer department train lately, it having occurred to me that it is only occasionally operated and well located for the purpose, where it usually stands.

What I have learned so far:
Sort the off-falls by type; so far 'loco', wagon', 'coach', 'couplers', 'don't know', are the coarse categories.
Only put larger pieces in the ballast hoppers, or you cannot get them out without inverting the wagon.
I am really looking forward to the Pilchard from Oxford Rail, as it is an ideal shallow box which I will be able to subdivide.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 4 May 2021, 21:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am not the only one who does that then! I have been using my engineer department train lately, it having occurred to me that it is only occasionally operated and well located for the purpose, where it usually stands.

What I have learned so far:
Sort the off-falls by type; so far 'loco', wagon', 'coach', 'couplers', 'don't know', are the coarse categories.
Only put larger pieces in the ballast hoppers, or you cannot get them out without inverting the wagon.
I am really looking forward to the Pilchard from Oxford Rail, as it is an ideal shallow box which I will be able to subdivide.

What do they say? Great minds think alike! Well, we both seem to think alike as well.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Further to that last post, 34C, I like your idea of separating out the various categories of "spares". Once I free up the 'people carrier wagons', I may well try sorting the bits and pieces into the now free wagons.

·
In depth idiot
7,684 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 5 May 2021, 01:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... I like your idea of separating out the various categories of "spares"...
I have thereby learnt something too. Topping the list of detail that falls off, are the coach dynamo mouldings. These have several times been the cause of derailments over the past 15 years, and I am now steadily removing any that pull off easily from my coaches, as the trains they are in come around for scheduled inspection/relubrication. (And from any new purchases, should Bachmann ever get around to their Thompson corridors in maroon.)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 5 May 2021, 20:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have thereby learnt something too. Topping the list of detail that falls off, are the coach dynamo mouldings. These have several times been the cause of derailments over the past 15 years, and I am now steadily removing any that pull off easily from my coaches, as the trains they are in come around for scheduled inspection/relubrication. (And from any new purchases, should Bachmann ever get around to their Thompson corridors in maroon.)

Yes, I have several Hornby Pullmans which are minus their dynamos, and several of the dynamos in the previously mentioned wagon. I usually manage to knock one off every time I pull the Pullmans out of their drawer.

What I have done with the couple I have so far repaired, is drilled the dynamo and the location on the coach base to allow a small piece of brass handrail wire to be superglued in, making the whole assembly much more robust.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I have bought an ESU V60 diesel shunter in DB Era VI livery for my shelf layout

There are enough sidings for shunting puzzles so the digitally controlled coupling should come in handy. I have found that it works best with ESU's all plastic coupler - http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/...versal-coupler/.

With the new import regime it took just under two weeks to arrive. I ordered it on a Tuesday evening. MSL shipped via DHL on Thursday. According to the tracking it arrived in the UK on the following Monday. It had cleared customs on Tuesday. On Friday I received a letter from Parcel Force - DHL's agent in the UK since January - informing me that VAT and a handling fee - £12 was due. I paid online that afternoon and the package was delivered on Monday morning.

David

Reactions: John Edge

·
Registered
56 Posts
Today the Australian side of my fleet got a new addition.

This is NR52 'Kungara Mankurpa', by SDS Models. It wears its original livery created by Aboriginal artist Bessie Liddle, with which the prototype was launched in 1997 and which it had for about ten years. The model's printing and details are exquisite, and the factory-installed sound is great, too.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,272 ·
Hi Alex Nice purchase, I personally could not cope with the paint Design on the loco. I have never heard of the make you have bought do they only do Ausie loco's. I hope you enjoy your purchase for many years to come. Babs

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (Babz @ 13 Jun 2021, 22:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Alex Nice purchase, I personally could not cope with the paint Design on the loco. I have never heard of the make you have bought do they only do Ausie loco's. I hope you enjoy your purchase for many years to come. Babs
Hi Babz, yes, SDS Models only make Australian locos and rolling stock. I am still waiting for another of their NR Class locos, with a paint job that is somewhat less 'busy'

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Woah,
That would make me dizzy watching that go round, although I admire the artwork in the design.
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Well, seeing as we have a new looking forum, and it surprisingly took me only about 10 minutes to crack how to get into it, I thought it a good time remember nostalgically how this thread started, so I went back to Post #1 in 2015 and reviewed the whole thing. Wow, a lot of posts. Page 1 was me and Babz talking about our cats, and look how the whole thing has developed, amazing.:)

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
And Alex, that loco is quite lovely, the prototype was/is often in Port Kembla yard hauling the evening steel train...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Well, I have been a bit naughty with spending on the European model front, again. I felt I would like an ICE unit of some sort, and stumbled upon the Piko Hobby ICE 3 set. This comes complete with track with moulded ballast (which I won't use) and a 12V DC controller, which may have a use in supplying some accessories with power, later on. The train itself comes as a 4-car unit, with two driving ends, a 2nd class pantograph coach, and a Restaurant Car, which houses the motor and decoder socket. Drive is on all eight wheels, which have traction tyres and no electrical pickups, as I discovered when I placed the Restaurant Car on the test track, turned on the power and nothing happened.

Investigation showed that the unit has electrically active 4-pin couplings, and that only one of the driving cars has track pickups on its bogies. Coupling that driving car to the Restaurant Car produced a result. It was silky smooth and quiet right from the very start on DC, so I set about fitting an 8-pin Lenz Standard+ v.2 decoder. Body removal involved removing two screws (except that one of mine was missing - no big deal because the body clips very firmly back in place). Pin 1 is marked clearly on the PCB, so it was a case of removing the blanking plug, inserting the decoder plug and tidying the wires; there is even a space provided for the decoder to sit out of the way, on top of the housing.

A quick test on the programming track with the driving car and Restaurant Car together again proved the installation was fine, and after a bit of programming to set the address and alter the acceleration and deceleration to match my usual standards, the pair of coaches were placed on the main lines and given a very quick test run, before assembling the whole train.

I have to say that for such a cheap set, the quality is very good. I am sure there are a few details missing to suit the budget price (there are some mysterious holes in the roofs), but these trains are so streamlined and smooth anyway, anything missing isn't really noticeable. The lighting consists only of directional head and tail lights, but a nice extra feature is the driver figure in one end cab.

While purchasing the unit, I had decided that it needed a couple more coaches, so ordered a 1st class pantograph coach and 2nd class sitting coach to extend it to six cars, which looks better balanced, to me. The train cruised around Newton Broadway beautifully at low and medium speeds, although I have not tried its top speed yet - there seems to be plenty in reserve.

Edit: I found the little packet of roof vents - that explains the holes in the roofs! :D

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,280 ·
Good morning SR Man. They are great little money sets. I have an earlier model bought about 5 years ago At that time i did not want to spend too much money on it as my Swiss collection shall we say was more interesting. I also bought the Piko Austrian OBB night Jet which looks Superb for the money. I do also have the Roco version of the night Jet and apart from Scale and a few details it looks Fantastic.
I bought them because when in Interlaken & Basel Station i always saw these trains. Nice sets all round worth the money. Great for youngsters to get into the hobby. Babs

1261 - 1280 of 1314 Posts