Model Railway Forum banner
1421 - 1440 of 1441 Posts

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Nice to see you back after your hiatus Adrian....
I have had a different experience. The Rheingold sets started becoming available at the end of our tax year. On June 30th an outstanding invoice of AUD1300 was paid to me and I was very happy. Like you, and never one to pay the full price for anything, the eye watering prices of today sometimes do my head in. Even though I am not an EpII modeller as you, I figured these Rheingold sets could be a beautiful thing, and after a bit of looking I found one of our friendly mail order shops would do the basic DC set, 01 + 4 lovely Rheingold wagons + 2 Packwagen for 510 Euro, a quick mental calculation after adding postage told me that this would finally cost AUD 915. Take away the 55$ postage and that means I could get the 01 loco and 6 wagons for $860. Retail price of the loco alone is around $600.
So on 5th July I took the plunge and put the order in. After a typical long (4 weeks) and nervous wait (never having spent this much ever before!!), it arrived in early August.
Overall very I am well pleased, the loco itself sets a new standard for detail, especially below the running board, where the finely spoked wheels and valve gear are exceptional. It looks more like a finescale 0-gauge model. This shot in natural light after unpacking shows what I mean ......

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine

The wagons are beautifully detailed too
Train Sky Mountain Cloud Rolling stock

Superb running characteristics and recently the loco was reviewed (favourably - and they do not take prisoners) in MIBA 11/21.
Plus, I still had $385 to spend !!
Cheers,

Incidentally Adrian, the Seyfried shop in Pforzheim is a thing of wonder. I visited a few years back and was introduced to the daughter of one of the bosses. She also works in the shop and has visited Australia. So we had a nice chat. Lovely folk and I do like a physical shop...:)

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,422 ·
Hi Everyone Interesting two posts. I thought we had it bad in UK for importing from EU Lala land. i will not moan again.
When BRAWA were intending to bring out the Rheinegold set it was priced at € 1148 IIRC and I did put in a Reservation at the time and then the pound took a thump. So I went for the Trix version instead. They obviously could not sell them at the time. Shame really now they are jobing them out. But I have enough rolling stock to fill a shop or two.
I have been a bit disappointed in BRAWA at the moment in relation to spares. They never seem to have any and unless I or someone modifies the broken part it renders it useless. I asked someone to scan a good part and then 3d printed it for me at a small cost. 3d printing is the way forward for the future
Babs

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
So, after 4 years of restraint, I had some recent deliveries, to fill in some gaps.
Can't do original photos, sorry.

Gap1: breaking the no duplicate prototype rule
What better way than with the grand old lady?

Gap2: Not enough Prussian locos
Also fills the "no 55 class loco" gap

Gap3: Not enough CIWL baggage and dining cars
Japanese fansite. Wonderful details revealed by the other photos

Gap4: Not enough CIWL sleepers with cream trim
This mix takes my CIWL count to about 17 Teak cars.

Barring the odd surprise here and there, I can't see me buying any more stuff. I have way too much now.

Anyway, Savoury Solstice! Smash the Santa Claus Conspiracy! Bah humbug! etc.
Hi Adrian
Very nice additions (y)
I have the KPEV BR 55 (you may have noticed it sitting in the background on the last few videos / pics) , but mine doesn't have the red piping :(
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Saw these mentioned in another post and thought I'd get them to go with my Rocket.
Not something I'd run very often but I have some period figures to go in them for the odd novelty run out
I think its already mentioned , but the little chain links are a right pain :)

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Hi Adrian
Very nice additions (y)
I have the KPEV BR 55 (you may have noticed it sitting in the background on the last few videos / pics) , but mine doesn't have the red piping :(
Regards
Alan
Hello Alan,
I think you'll find that the loco sitting in the background of your recent posts is actually your Trix Bavarian G5/5 or later Br 57.5 and a very, very fine loco it is too - Bavarian livery does not have the red piping, as you point out.
Cheers,
6991 ;)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I did buy that Roco 73987 back in April 2021 Adrian

I also bought this one in May as it featured Munich

and this one to commemorate the Berlin Wall Anniversary

I am a sucker for these graphics and the Vectron and have just seen on a YT video that there is now a Vectron version of the Railpool locos based out of Munich

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Hello Alan,
I think you'll find that the loco sitting in the background of your recent posts is actually your Trix Bavarian G5/5 or later Br 57.5 and a very, very fine loco it is too - Bavarian livery does not have the red piping, as you point out.
Cheers,
6991 ;)
Thanks for the heads up Adrian, I knew my loco had two 5's in it :rolleyes:
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Nice to see you back after your hiatus Adrian....
I have had a different experience. The Rheingold sets started becoming available at the end of our tax year. On June 30th an outstanding invoice of AUD1300 was paid to me and I was very happy. Like you, and never one to pay the full price for anything, the eye watering prices of today sometimes do my head in. Even though I am not an EpII modeller as you, I figured these Rheingold sets could be a beautiful thing, and after a bit of looking I found one of our friendly mail order shops would do the basic DC set, 01 + 4 lovely Rheingold wagons + 2 Packwagen for 510 Euro, a quick mental calculation after adding postage told me that this would finally cost AUD 915. Take away the 55$ postage and that means I could get the 01 loco and 6 wagons for $860. Retail price of the loco alone is around $600.
So on 5th July I took the plunge and put the order in. After a typical long (4 weeks) and nervous wait (never having spent this much ever before!!), it arrived in early August.
Overall very I am well pleased, the loco itself sets a new standard for detail, especially below the running board, where the finely spoked wheels and valve gear are exceptional. It looks more like a finescale 0-gauge model. This shot in natural light after unpacking shows what I mean ......

View attachment 20565

The wagons are beautifully detailed too
View attachment 20564

Superb running characteristics and recently the loco was reviewed (favourably - and they do not take prisoners) in MIBA 11/21.
Plus, I still had $385 to spend !!
Cheers,

Incidentally Adrian, the Seyfried shop in Pforzheim is a thing of wonder. I visited a few years back and was introduced to the daughter of one of the bosses. She also works in the shop and has visited Australia. So we had a nice chat. Lovely folk and I do like a physical shop...:)
Thanks for the supportive comments.. and the photos. Look, I've dealt with these guys before and yes, people have always made positive comments and I've been entirely satisfied with the items that I've bought from them previously. When they put up bargains, they are usually pretty good. I think any resentment I have is coming on the back of increasing shipping costs to the Last Stop On Earth. But other retailers charge less. So, I guess the message is go there yourself, if you can. Someone at the Marklin forum once mentioned "the back room" and whatever is hidden in there.

The madness of this hobby is that I already have the Marklin 42883 replica tin-plate set in blue. I've just always wanted the plum coloured set...:p .

Anyway, I ordered REE's 1xA 2xB set of PLM coaches; plus a baggage car, instead. I've missed these before, so will fill the imaginary gap with those. Might need to pre-order a 231K now :rolleyes:.
While at Pierre's I eyeballed some other gaps and potential fillers

I worry sometimes about the money, but other people I know are happy to blow similar amounts on tobacco or alcohol, which tend not to last as long...

Just on the hiatus, I spent 3 months at my older brother's before he passed away and when I got home, I spent a month photoing my collection. A windows error pfft69 saw all that work lost and I just gave up. However, a minor re-shuffle in the house, may see some action returning. I'm only just seeing the real impact of the isolated environment that I am currently residing in and I haven't really acknowledged that life's been a bit dire for the past year. Parcels can be anti-depressants!;)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Agree Adrian,

I have been pretty ill these past 15 months so getting back into my Continental stuff has been a key distraction to keep me going.

Just on the hiatus, I spent 3 months at my older brother's before he passed away and when I got home, I spent a month photoing my collection. A windows error pfft69 saw all that work lost and I just gave up. However, a minor re-shuffle in the house, may see some action returning. I'm only just seeing the real impact of the isolated environment that I am currently residing in and I haven't really acknowledged that life's been a bit dire for the past year. Parcels can be anti-depressants!;)

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I wasn't me...:rolleyes:
But I think the '55' class identifier was taken from the original 5/5.
Wrong! As mentioned above, 5/5 went on to be part of the 57 Class. 55 Class was made up several 4axle jobbies.

I'm no expert, but any european collection should have a 55 and a T5 - they were all over the place from what I can tell.

Reactions: Babz

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Hi all,
These arrived today, Brawa 5 part Rheingold Coach Set, although I already have the Trix (I think it is) set, I couldn't resist these at the reduced price from MSL. They are far superior to the Trix set,
interiors are lovely and the control of the various lights is fantastic, and once I get some passengers in them, they'll look even better. There is even something in the instructions about fitting a smoke generator controlled on Function #7, don't know if that's something to do with the kitchen coach, I'll investigate that when I take them apart to install figures. There are kitchen sounds as well as conductor announcements etc

Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
9,941 Posts
First announced in January 2020, this Rivarossi FS shunter has finally arrived in stock.
I bought it because these locos are used at Brennero at the summit of the Brenner Pass to return OBB AC electrics to the Austrian end of the station once they have been released from their south bound trains.
There are plenty of examples of them in operation in Youtube where they fly shunt OBB 1116s and others from south to north.

If you don't like the crude coupler front end and can live without it altogether, there are full face replacements in the box along with a multitude off pipes and other stuff. As the real things never actually couple to the locos they are shifting at Brennero, maybe I should fit them?

David

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Nice. I have a RR G12 in a box somewhere. Passively tracking down an RR FS steamer at some point.
I think my shunting work will be done by my Brawa BR89 (T8). It has no other purpose.:eek:

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I found this somewhere, I didn't take note of where. Definitely isn't my photo.
So I replaced the Rheingold purchase with the REE coach pack and baggage. I already have the post wagon somewhere
Just need to pre-order that $700+ loco...:cautious:
It will be a nice setup, as photo shows:

View media item 21665

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Fixed now.

Reactions: Babz

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Hi all,
This arrived today, after getting the Brawa Rheingold coach set, I was browsing their web site and they listed their 40902 BR 01 as the loco to haul the Rheingold coaches. They were out of stock. and a web search seems to show it is not that readily available. I managed to find one in a model store in Italy and ordered it. Well, as I now have 2 Rheingold coach sets, it seemed rude not to :)
Here it is hauling my original Trix set.

Regards
Alan

1421 - 1440 of 1441 Posts