Model Railway Forum banner
1461 - 1480 of 1563 Posts

· Premium Member
493 Posts
Hi all,
I have just received my longest Train Safe case (270cm)

This is in preparation for getting the Trix 25976 ICE 4 5 part set

and the Trix 23976 3 coach add on set, both on reservation at MSL, hopefully available 2nd quarter of this year

· Premium Member
493 Posts
I'm getting into these High speed ICE trains, probably as I cant find any steam locos I want at the moment.
I will have to make some more triple brackets to accommodate the new case without loosing space for existing cases.
Regards
Alan

· Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,464 ·
Hi all,
I have just received my longest Train Safe case (270cm)

This is in preparation for getting the Trix 25976 ICE 4 5 part set

and the Trix 23976 3 coach add on set, both on reservation at MSL, hopefully available 2nd quarter of this year
Alan That is very long, They must be hard to handle at that length with rake on Board especialy when you want to line it up for railing to the Track
I could not handle that length myself.
If you do not mind me asking how much was the postage for that length.
Have a Nice Easter.
Babs

· Premium Member
493 Posts
Alan That is very long, They must be hard to handle at that length with rake on Board especialy when you want to line it up for railing to the Track
I could not handle that length myself.
If you do not mind me asking how much was the postage for that length.
Have a Nice Easter.
Babs
Hi Babs,
Yeah, its a long one but not too bad to handle. I obviously haven't got the ICE 4 yet but I've loaded and offloaded the ICE 3 into it, (that is 2 coached shorter) and the weight isn't a problem for me, just have to be careful maneuvering it on and off the racks as space is tight, but I don't have to move them far to fit them onto the rail joiners (y)
The shipping cost me 155 Euros, that was for the 270cm case, a 180cm case and six pairs of double brackets. That's about half of what is quoted when you place the order on their website.
Regards
Alan

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Not so much railway items, but related in many ways, I have been preparing to build a diorama of a German city with a bus station. As such, I have bought a few building kits and a couple more HO road vehicles to go on the diorama, in addition to the existing buses and coaches. I also took to the front axles of a few vehicles to "steer" the front wheels a bit.

The Rietze Neoplan Cityliner was available at a very reasonable price and I liked the colour. A quick Google search found that this company does tours and excursions all over western and Northern Europe, so could easily appear in a 'generic' German city.

The Bus Station kit was a self-coloured plastic kit from Vollmer, but I decided to paint everything anyway to remove the plasticky effect. I flooded some dilute dark grey into the glazing to highlight the framework. I created some artwork of my own for the more modern bus stop flags, rather than using the ones from the kit. They didn't print quite as well as I had hoped, so I may have another go soon, with thicker line borders. The Mercedes eCitaro bus is a Hamburg-based vehicle (I think I may have seen it in service) named Elton, soon to be joined by an articulated version the operator named Eileen. The large corner building is from Kibri (but both plastic kits had instructions carrying the names Kibri, Vollmer and Viessmann, so I gather they have merged). I painted the roof and some of the fittings, but some of the multi-coloured components were too fiddly to do that. The plastic colour density is good though. I also added an arched brick roof for the internal arcade.

I have some more modern large buildings too use as well, built many years ago and used on another diorama which was dismantled long ago. There is another kit, this time from Faller, on the way for a couple more German-style city buildings. I intend to include a bit of static railway along one side or across a corner, to display a couple of models too. This may take the form of a modern concrete viaduct, or an older brick or stone arched type.

I hope this shows where my ideas are going with this. All of this going on a piece of 9mm MDF, and will have to be completed by the beginning of December so I can enter it in the annual modelling competition of the Model Bus Association of Australia. I will post a few pictures when it is completed.

· Premium Member
493 Posts
Hi All,
Some more items arrived (after a long wait as Brawa sent a couple of 40866 units to MLS that were faulty) , so I asked for all orders to be shipped together. At least we know that MSL have good quality control in place (y) Anyway, here are the Roco 71205 (DRB01) and the Brawa 40866 (DB57) with a rake of Roco coaches
Regards
Alan

· Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,469 · (Edited)
Hi Alan I do like your Roco Dampf what is the tightest curve it will go round as my Brawa Versions you have to remove quite a lot of side panels. I do have an old Flieschmann version which does go round all the profi Track but it us probably not true to scale. DB57 is nice, i do not have that particular model. Enjoy.
B

· Premium Member
493 Posts
Hi Alan I do like your Roco Dampf what is the tightest curve it will go round as my Brawa Versions you have to remove quite a lot of side panels. I do have an old Flieschmann version which does go round all the profi Track but it us probably not true to scale. DB57 is nice, i do not have that particular model. Enjoy.
B
Hi Babz
Thanks for your comments.
The paperwork states the smallest navigable curve is R3 (419.6mm) I'm assuming that that is with the front wheel fairings removed as in my video. They are supplied with the loco and again, from the paperwork it looks like you can only fit them for display purposes .
Regards
Alan

· Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,471 ·
Good Afternoon Everyone. Took delivery from MSL last week of a Couple of Br232 DB.
Sadly when i took the body off to install decoders It seems that both of them have Zinc Rot/ Pest. I thought they had got rid of that some Years ago.Back to MSL they go..
Babs

Attachments

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Good Afternoon Everyone. Took delivery from MSL last week of a Couple of Br232 DB.
Sadly when i took the body off to install decoders It seems that both of them have Zinc Rot/ Pest. I thought they had got rid of that some Years ago.Back to MSL they go..
Babs
It still crops up in a limited number of model types from a good many of the manufacturers. Shirley MSL will take them back under warranty (sorry - I couldn't resist!).

What brand were those 232s? I have a Roco one which I managed to damage by accident and the internal construction appears quite different from that in your photo, almost flimsy where the bogie supports are concerned (one of which is what I managed to break). I have noted that quite a few different manufacturers offer BR232s, but I have no idea of the detail differences, or who does the best job of modelling them accurately.

· Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,473 ·
Hi SrMan The maker is Brawa They had some big issues of this a few years ago and i thought they had irradiated it.

(still crops up in a limited number of model types from a good many of the manufacturers. Shirley MSL will take them back under warranty (sorry - I couldn't resist!).
It's No problem it was an old aviation Joke from my Flying Day's.
Babs

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Hi SrMan The maker is Brawa They had some big issues of this a few years ago and i thought they had irradiated it.

It's No problem it was an old aviation Joke from my Flying Day's.
Babs
I thought Brawa were always a cut above many of the other brands. they are certainly dearer, as a rule.

The Shirley joke was used in the movie "Flying High" (also known as "Airplane", I believe). It still crops up all over the place. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,475 ·
Brawa was always more expensive and usually good quality Sadly now they are no better than anyone else

(The Shirley joke was used in the movie "Flying High" (also known as "Airplane", I believe). It still crops up all over the place.)
Yes that is how it happened the Airplane film. I was a very young CoPilot then. Never laughed so much in my life.
Babs

· Registered
105 Posts
I have noted that quite a few different manufacturers offer BR232s, but I have no idea of the detail differences, or who does the best job of modelling them accurately.
Unless you can afford the ESU model of the 132/232, it is generally accepted that the current generation of Piko models delivers the best bang for buck in terms of detail, performance, and reliability. I own a Roco 132 and a Piko 232, and I have to say between the two of them the Piko is my favourite.

· Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,478 ·
Alex I have been buying German model railway stock for well over fourty years and Back when ever BRAWA was always top Dog.
As i have said above sadly no more.
I do have Roco 132/232 they have there quirks and problems but okay
Maybe about 10 years ago or more i started buying Piko and i found them okay not great but okay.
But over this period i have found that Piko have come on leaps and Bounds with Quality .i have now placed an order with MSL with the Piko 232 Dr on reservation with a very similar price. I am sure that the Quality will be there and will last me out.
Babs

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I've been after one of these for many years: Hatton's had three in their second-hand department, but at £120 each I said "no way". they have now come down considerably in price. to the point where I decided to take one. Roco's Swedish coach in the rare 'Blue X' livery. When the train was disbanded, a few coaches survived in this livery for a while.

Train Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock Track

Train Land vehicle Rolling stock Track Mode of transport

1461 - 1480 of 1563 Posts