Model Railway Forum banner
1481 - 1500 of 1501 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
[QUOTE

I know its not German, but liked the look of it :)
Does anyone know a source for Dutch outline coaches (epoch 5or earlier) as I'm having no luck searching the internet so far.
Regards
Alan
[/QUOTE]

Well it would look pretty odd with Dutch coaches Alan, you need Danish coaches for this loco of the DSB.
You should be able to find some, there are even some Danish rolling stock manufacturers out there. Will get back to you with some suggestions within 24h. Maybe Matrix might even bring out a set in the coming months....
This engine would have been seen at the DB border station with Denmark, near Flensburg, swapping locos on the expresses to Hamburg. I think I have pictures somewhere.
Cheers,
PS Of course, you could always make a model of the Holland-Skandinavien Express, which had a few Dutch wagons and Postwagons in the formation, but you'd still need some Danish wagons and a few DB wagons to complete the train.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
[QUOTE

I know its not German, but liked the look of it :)
Does anyone know a source for Dutch outline coaches (epoch 5or earlier) as I'm having no luck searching the internet so far.
Regards
Alan
Well it would look pretty odd with Dutch coaches Alan, you need Danish coaches for this loco of the DSB.
You should be able to find some, there are even some Danish rolling stock manufacturers out there. Will get back to you with some suggestions within 24h. Maybe Matrix might even bring out a set in the coming months....
This engine would have been seen at the DB border station with Denmark, near Flensburg, swapping locos on the expresses to Hamburg. I think I have pictures somewhere.
Cheers,
PS Of course, you could always make a model of the Holland-Skandinavien Express, which had a few Dutch wagons and Postwagons in the formation, but you'd still need some Danish wagons and a few DB wagons to complete the train.
[/QUOTE]
OOPS, Thanks for the correction 6991, I was searching for DSB coaches so wouldn't have got the wrong ones, just a bit of brain fuzz on my part. Apologies to our Danish and Dutch friends.
So far all I've managed to find is some isolated single coaches on the 2nd hand market, not overly fussed about 2nd hand, but would like to find a nice rake of 4/6 coaches, so any further advice would be most welcome.
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,486 · (Edited)
Hi Alan Nice good addition to the rake. I bought the BRAWA Reko versions 45391/ 45392 in different colours.My rakes are Shorter in length at the time I was planning a Smaller layout.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hadn't planned on any acquisitions in the short term, but I couldn't walk past this one:

I picked up this set of Rivarossy Y/B carriages of the DR Era IV for a very good price. Included are three compartment cars and a salon car as operated in tourist and charter trains from about 1982, as far as I have been able to find out. Really happy with this purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I just could not resist it, the Brawa D504 set. This is the train as it ran in 1980 Epoch IV (or at east half of it). I had no unrebuilt 01 in my fleet so to find a sound and smoke fitted example had me counting the pennies.By this time the loco was classified as an 01.2 and I have talked about the evolution of DR 01 classes before: Show Your Latest Purchase In Ho International where I made a chart You have to click on the expand dooda to see the chart. Did I need the coaches ............ probably not but they look great and come complete with destinations shields that you can affix yourself.

The 2022 brochure comments thus: "Following the reorganisation of train numbers, the D 504 ran from Saalfeld via Leipzig/Halle to Berlin on the Saalebahn railway from 1973. Until 25 September 1981, this train was hauled by BR 01 locomotives from the Saalfeld railway depot and was thus the last steam-powered express train in Central Europe. On the following day, the service was converted to diesel traction. BRAWA takes you back to April 1980, when locomotive 01 2204 was hauling D 504 consisting of 11 carriages along the route to Berlin". I have the stock needed to complete the 11 coach train but Hennigsdorf Nord layout is sadly not ideal for such a length of train.

Building Water Mode of transport Train Font

It has been a bumper couple of years for DR modellers with the Trix DR 02 0314 completing the Halle streamlined pair and a whole raft of D-Loks and E-Loks filling in the gaps ( a lot of Epoch IV). There are still some promised models that are taking a long while to materialise but I am content.

Best regards .......... Greyvoices (alias Ian's gullible customer).

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I was also tempted to buy this:

Train Toy Rolling stock Track Locomotive

This is Roco 70813 DR Epoch IV which as modelled, in the 1980's was based at Falkenberg. 37 of the Class V100.4 reclassified as Class 111 between 1981 - 83 for use by DR service departments; theoretically heavy shunting. (not in the general passenger or freight pools). I already have one of these numbered as a Class 293 post 1993 DR/DB merger and I have to renumber that back to Epoch IV, otherwise the livery seen above survived right up to 2000 with some rebuilt as Class 298.3 and turned out in DB-AG red. The DR V100 classes and deriviatives suffered rapid withdrawal post mauerfall. Many were sent to Stendhal works where some were re-engined to become DB-AG Class 298. I will have to pursue this topic elsewhere. The variations and renumbering of the DR V100.4 are labyrinthine.

Back to the model - the small sponge protection that is placed to protect the nose of the loco in the box has pulled of a horizontal handrail that is placed just below the front numberplate. Inevitable but care must be taken with the details that are already installed.

The model requires a PLUX 22 chip and I've not dealt with one of those before. I wonder what benefits that will bring over the 8 or 21 pin that I have been used to. Apart from adding a chip I have a lot of details to add which are supplied in the usual plastic bags.

Best regards .......... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Back in the day, these locomotives were everywhere. I remember seeing them in Dresden (DR) and Decin (CSD). That's a great looking model, I wouldn't mind finding one in the dark red/white stripe DR livery.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I just could not resist it, the Brawa D504 set. This is the train as it ran in 1980 Epoch IV (or at east half of it). I had no unrebuilt 01 in my fleet so to find a sound and smoke fitted example had me counting the pennies.By this time the loco was classified as an 01.2 and I have talked about the evolution of DR 01 classes before: Show Your Latest Purchase In Ho International where I made a chart You have to click on the expand dooda to see the chart. Did I need the coaches ............ probably not but they look great and come complete with destinations shields that you can affix yourself.

The 2022 brochure comments thus: "Following the reorganisation of train numbers, the D 504 ran from Saalfeld via Leipzig/Halle to Berlin on the Saalebahn railway from 1973. Until 25 September 1981, this train was hauled by BR 01 locomotives from the Saalfeld railway depot and was thus the last steam-powered express train in Central Europe. On the following day, the service was converted to diesel traction. BRAWA takes you back to April 1980, when locomotive 01 2204 was hauling D 504 consisting of 11 carriages along the route to Berlin". I have the stock needed to complete the 11 coach train but Hennigsdorf Nord layout is sadly not ideal for such a length of train.

View attachment 21935

It has been a bumper couple of years for DR modellers with the Trix DR 02 0314 completing the Halle streamlined pair and a whole raft of D-Loks and E-Loks filling in the gaps ( a lot of Epoch IV). There are still some promised models that are taking a long while to materialise but I am content.

Best regards .......... Greyvoices (alias Ian's gullible customer).
(y)That's a lovely set John

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Hi all,
Well, I said I would :)

Babs, I'm still looking for a suitable SBB Twindex model that fits the bill, obviously needs to be DCC sound and preferably with factory fitted lighting like the TGV.
Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
I'm still looking for a suitable SBB Twindex model that fits the bill, obviously needs to be DCC sound and preferably with factory fitted lighting like the TGV.
Your best bet is Roco. Their current offering is IC2020 stock which has an angular roof profile compared to the IC2000 stock which featured in your video. There have been many models of the Re460s which are used on these trains.

David

Reactions: alanoes and Babz

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Your best bet is Roco. Their current offering is IC2020 stock which has an angular roof profile compared to the IC2000 stock which featured in your video. There have been many models of the Re460s which are used on these trains.

David
Hi David,
Yeah, I have them on reservation at MSL.
Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
After a long wait these Roco Sudostbayernbahn double deckers have arrived into stock and onwards to me to fulfil my pre-order.

The driving car is a striking blue colour...

in contrast to the standard red of the 2nd class coach.

There is also a 1st/2nd class coach in the set but the 'Shelf' is too short to accommodate it so it will stay in the box.

Three types of coupling are supplied
The Roco close coupler as fitted in the photo above.
A typical loop style continental type
A solid bar
As the photo shows, the coupling is pretty close and believe it or not, it will go round the Roco R2 curves (that's 360mm radius!!) at each end of the bridge.

The lighting is fitted as standard. There is a plusx decoder socket in the driving car to control the lights directional. I don't think the coach as a socket. My dirty track has proved beyond doubt that there is no capacitor to help keep the lights on.

As luck would have it, the loco I pre-ordered to go with this set arrived into stock about the same time and shipped today, so watch this space ...

David

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh, those are nice! Not my primary era for German passenger stock but I could make up an excuse to run those carriages.

As the photo shows, the coupling is pretty close and believe it or not, it will go round the Roco R2 curves (that's 360mm radius!!) at each end of the bridge.
That's the magic of the close coupler mechanisms which are pretty standard nowadays on European makes. I'm really puzzled as to why those haven't caught on beyond Europe. Not everyone has the room for big curve radii.

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
The loco was delivered yesterday which was much quicker than I expected. I have now loaded it into the Z21 and attached it to the double decker stock.

It's an ESU BR218 as it was in 2007.
I have swapped the 2nd class coach for the 1st/2nd composite. It seemed better to offer passengers a choice of 1st class.

I first tried the traditional loop couplings but these did not work round the extremely tight curve so I switched to the Roco close couplings. As they form a solid connection, propelling the coaches works.

I have swapped the driving coach around so that the whole passenger section fits in the city station.

David

1481 - 1500 of 1501 Posts