Model Railway Forum banner
1521 - 1531 of 1531 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Picked up a few days ago in the second hand
section of Togcentre, Gentofte, Denmark. Two DSB suburban/regional coaches from Heljan, and one driving trailer from McK. The latter is AC, with a centre pickup skate but the axles are insulated, so it should not be beyond my skills to convert it to DC; it has DCC decoder fitted as standard, but I will be careful not to blow that up.

Train Rolling stock Track Railway Toy

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Toy Track

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Track Electricity

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Further to my last post, I have had to order some replacement wheels for the two Heljan coaches as they had AC wheelsets. I have placed the order with Steam era Models, which is based not too far away from here on Phillip Island.

The DC conversion of the Bns driving car was even easier and simpler than I could have hoped. The coach sides can be eased out from the chassis and lifts off, revealing a nicely detailed interior with a PCB on top. The underside has the SMLEDs for interior lighting, while the top has a few other bits, including a 3-pin connector with a jumper over two of the pins. Simply swapping the jumper to connect the other side converts the whole thing to DC/DCC, with a decoder already built-in or hidden somewhere. I removed the centre pickup skate and snipped the wire from that (I'll unsolder it properly later). This was then easily programmed for an address on the programming track, and the various functions were run through - I am attaching a link to a short video I took of these working, with apologies for the out of focus effect.

Functions:
F0 = directional head/tail lights
F1 = flashing orange lights
F2 = cab lights
F3 = top headlight off
F4 = tail lights at trailing end of coach (not shown)
F5 = interior lights on
F6 = dim interior lighting

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,524 ·
Good Afternoon Everyone Just bought this which is my First ESU lok with very high expectations on perfornance I declined to buy other makes Mehano and so on so lets hope in my quest it works out I know the Hag shunters that i have are really good.
Babs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Good Afternoon Everyone Just bought this which is my First ESU lok with very high expectations on perfornance I declined to buy other makes Mehano and so on so lets hope in my quest it works out I know the Hag shunters that i have are really good.
Babs
I have a couple of ESU locos, they are good quality and pack in many features

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Hi all,
I saw this on MSL (where else :)) and thought it a nice addition as I'm quite into military history. Anyway, it's the Liliput L130002 camouflage troop carrier set with BR 42 loco
I have added several additional wagons and installed a ESU Loksound 5 decoder (my first attempt at this), and a smoke generator. I couldn't find a BR42 sound file in their library so downloaded the BR50, looking at the locos, they both look similar with the same wheel sets so I figured it would be close enough.

I was hoping to fill the troop carriages with Prieser 16876 sets
Gesture Military uniform Headgear Art Soldier

But have now discovered they are discontinued :(, so any suggestions would be welcomed. Also, any WWII German equipment etc to go in the open wagons. Most of the Prieser HO WWII German troops are unpainted sets and I'm not up for that anymore.
MSL have these still available Prieser 16878
Gesture Military person Soldier Ballistic vest Military uniform

So if it comes to it I may get a few sets of these and chop them about a bit as you will only see their top halves through the windows.
Regards
Alan

·
In depth idiot
8,600 Posts
Sheet over the open wagons, camo net the armour. It's all about minimising what the enemy can see of your assets, to the greatest possible extent. Naturally this varied between theatres: in Western Europe once Allied air superiority had been obtained it was essential.

1521 - 1531 of 1531 Posts