Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyway, do any of you good people visit showbus at Duxford ? No I know it is not model railways, but sometimes people have interests in other forms of transport as well and there are lots of stalls there, it is in September, I have been a few times and it is a good day out, if it does not rain.It is nice to see the old buses , like trains they are well preserved and lots of work has gone in to them.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Nothing wrong with Showbus, I've been a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I won't say too much or Brian will start taking the p again.

regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 9 May 2008, 08:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nothing wrong with Showbus, I've been a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it.
regards
Was that in the days you had a moustache, carried a clipboard & wore a raincoat ?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I really wish I could go to Showbus! Unfortunately, I'd have to waterproof the car and I don't think there are too many undersea petrol stations on the way!

yes, I am very interested in buses, as well as railways.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 9 May 2008, 07:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was that in the days you had a moustache, carried a clipboard & wore a raincoat ?

Yes - I even bought a Bristol Lodekka in the correct livery to remind myself of my glory days!

Regards

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Bristol Lodekka, now that is a nice bus. One thing in the now preserved bus world that windes me up is Routemasters, ok they are an icon, a part of Londons transport, but when you hear people talking about buses nine times out of ten it is the Routemaster they mean.
There are dozens of more interesting buses about, Like the Lodekka, the Daimler CVG6 with preselect box, the Midland Red D7(crash box) or D9 with semi automatic box, or many of the Bristol single deckers.
The bus world of the fifties , sixties and seventies were intense with so many different types and to see them today is great.
As well as an interest in the railway as a young chap, I also used to go to the bus station (pool meadow) in Coventry and especially on a summer Saturday you could see good old names like Ribble, Standerwick, Royal Blue and Black and White to name but a few, come and go and they all had their own types of vehicles.
Sorry to bore you non bus people, but the deregulation of the bus industry was a tragedy like the Beeching era on the railways.
I still have a copy of the 1953 ABC Associated motorways timetable.
In fact ready to go on my layout I have a Guy Arab of Coventry Corporation Transport and a Bedford OB also of the same operator.
I also have, and I have done many years on the railway, as train crew, but I also have MY PSV drivers badge from 1966, DD 51831, I done a brief stint on the Old Midland Red, but nowdays bus drivers dont even get a badge. But the railway was in my blood so back I went, but I still have a "soft spot" for the bus world of the fifties, sixties and seventies.
Better shut up now before Admin gets on to me.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (41235 @ 9 May 2008, 22:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A Bristol Lodekka, now that is a nice bus. One thing in the now preserved bus world that windes me up is Routemasters, ok they are an icon, a part of Londons transport, but when you hear people talking about buses nine times out of ten it is the Routemaster they mean.

I couldn't agree more about the RM and in fact I don't even possess a model of one. I actually model the buses of my local area (East Kent) from the twenties through to Stagecoach. Well at least Stagecoach still occasionally paint their vehicles in the traditional maroon and cream. In fact they actually have at least one preserved vehicle - a sixties AEC Regent V with Park Royal body. I believe that attends bus rallies, keep an eye up for it.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.