Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello to everyone,

We're just back from an unbelievable trip. The members of our (marklinciyiz.biz) forum took a trip to a nearby ironworks factory to take part in their regular coal transportation operation. The operation is a huge one (well, maybe on our scale): picking up 44 hoppers full of coal (about 2.500 tonnes) from the port of Erdemir Ironworks (one of the largest in the area), sail it to the nearby Zonguldak port (on Black Sea coast) with a 200 meter ship, leave the load at Zonguldak Train Station to be picked up by Kardemir Ironworks factory, haul the empty hoppers to the ship and back to Erdemir Ironworks plant.

Here are some photos; I will try to give details during the week:

Photo: Me on the 78 ton, 800 hp General Electric diesel-electric switcher.

Photo: Into the boat.

Photo: Coupling.

Photo: The bridge is up and we're ready to sail.

Photo: Hoppers secured tightly.

Photo: The boat - Erdeniz - Made in 1986 in Denmark, bought and brought to Turkey in 1996.

Photo: Zonguldak port - two switchers already in place.

Photo: Lowering the bridge.

That's all for now.

To be continued ...

Regards,

Cem.

P.S. For those who are interested in more pictures, here are the links - the story is in Turkish but photos are there.

episode I

episode II

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Great photos Cem & thanks for posting them & the links.

Our H & S people would have a heart attack if we were able to experience a visit like that in any UK works !

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 22 Oct 2007, 10:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great photos Cem & thanks for posting them & the links.

Our H & S people would have a heart attack if we were able to experience a visit like that in any UK works !

Brian hi,

Thanks for the compliments. The remaining photos will be better (it was such a beautiful day)!

Actually, this is one of the reasons I decided to publish this here too: with the safety rules & regulations you have in EU, it must be next to impossible to organize such an event. We even got to DRIVE one of the locomotives

Ok, more from the trip later ...

Cheers,

Cem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 22 Oct 2007, 12:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Right - that's it - next holiday (after Egypt, which is already booked) is TURKEY

You are more than welcome! Just let me know in good time so that we can arrange something like this one

All the best,

Cem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 22 Oct 2007, 14:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ARGHHHHHHHHH

I MISSED IT.
Baykal

Wish you were there, you surely would get billions of new ideas for your layout. Well, next time (we hope)

Regards,

Cem.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Cem,

Looks like it was a lot of fun - I'm very jealous.

Nice photos and links.

Regards

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave hi,

It really was cool - something to tell your grandchildren! At the end of the day we were unable to move even our fingers but it was worth all the trouble.

I will post more photos with the rest of the story.

Take care,

Cem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts