Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations for a OO signal box to be used on a diorama. Are the Metcalfe card ones any good, what is the detail like. The periods are 70's/80's BR and any appropriate steam era one for a A4 Mallard.

thanks,
Kal

·
Registered
375 Posts
First of all I must say hi Kal, as one new member to another. I too have returned to model railroading after many years absence but I am a little luckier than you in that I have been unexpectadly presented with a room, or at least one wall of it, to start over again.
I have recently completed the Metcalfe signal box and it is a realy nice model when finished and, like all Metcalfe models, repays your patience and care many times over. Also I have found that their models are very easy to add extra detail and weathering to, if you think they should need it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello CeeDeeI,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am considering the Metcalfe model but am worried that being made from card it will not have any textures like a molded plastic kit would. From the pics I have seen it looks very detailed. I am assume you need a paper glue to assemble it with. Can it be painted?

Kal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try Prototype models made of preprinted card and some plastic parts I used UHU card glue and runny super glue round the edge to add strength.You can also get white metal interiors try Cove models

·
Registered
487 Posts
Period 70/80s most signal boxes were phased out to make way for regional track and signalling control.
Skaledale make an excellent model signal box at £15. Card models are good for modellers who wish to create their own masterpiece. but will not stand up to constant shifting on a layout and through time will become rather grubby. Studying prices, in the end not much saving - however the pleasure of making your own model is what you have to decide upon.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you do go down the card road Kal then I have found the best adhesive to use is white PVA woodworkers glue. It is transparent when dry, does not string and gives you time after aplication to move the surfaces to their exact position. I have been a card fan for many years and use it, in it's various thicknesses and qualities, for most things from railway fencing to locomotive and coach construction. I did of course start off in the days of Charford and the Buckingham Branch when plastic was a dirty word and I'm too old to change now.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good question Dennis. Speaking for myself in this corner of Spain the only lumber that is available, not having any model shops for either aircraft or model railways, is that obtained from DIY stores, and that is all pre cut to the most used sizes and I have neither the equipment, nor the inclination, to reduce those sizes to that needed for my models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the replies. I quite like the look of the Wills timber signal box and am going to go with that one, at least for this first try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts