Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering i have a hornby select controller and was wondering how to install signal lights. also lights on station platforms are the linked to the controller? what do i need etc???

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Hi and welcome
The select has an accessories output (15v) that can be used to power lights etc. Or if you have an old DC controller you can use this to power lights etc. As to signals, someone more knowledeable than I may care to comment.
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Youre welcome. Try the signalling forum for advice on locating and installing working signals, though I believe signaling is a "black art" and should only be attempted by the initiated!
Steve

·
Registered
982 Posts
Jamie

If you want to control the signals and station lights from your controller you will need to get an accessory decoder such as a Hornby R8247 and connect them to that.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Suzie,
While I understand that some would want to control staion lights via dcc. I would think a cheaper option to control lights would be a 35p switch rather than a £30 accessory decoder?
Thanks for your reply to my signals question
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 3 Apr 2009, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Suzie,
While I understand that some would want to control station lights via dcc. I would think a cheaper option to control lights would be a 35p switch rather than a £30 accessory decoder?
Thanks for your reply to my signals question
Regards
Steve

Steve

A switch to change the colour of a signal is most definately cheaper, in the same way that using a trainset DC controller is cheaper to drive the train than buying a Hornby Select and a Hornby DCC decoder for the loco. It is all relative. I have seen switches being sold for £3 because they look like the lever in a signal box, whereas you can buy the bits and make your own DCC accessory/function decoder for less than £3 with the result of much simpler wiring and full DCC control from any handset.

No I would not pay £36 for an accessory decoder just to turn on station lights myself, but I might use the spare output from one that was controlling just a couple of signals and set of points.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Suzie,
Sorry for misunderstanding your post and not being clearer in mine. My point was to control station /road/yard lights only a simple switch would be needed!
Regards
Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts