Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
[quote name='2512silverfox' date='30 Jul 2007, 17:50' post='33337']
Paul

I refer to the earlier tender drive A4's to which I assumed the builder was referring.

Its the new loco drive that I am going to use, I do have both versions of 2512 to choose from, the new model is a lot lighter than the paint as I said previously in this thread as is the old one, but a bit darker, but as you say, paint changes shade with age, and like you said 'if it looks right, it is right'

Hopefully the rest of the decals will arrive tomorrow as its running night on Monday at me brothers club and I would like to show them off!

Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bro S
My Coro' is currently half done...4 to go. Sadly I've made the error of painting the rooves black, reason being that after studying a b/w photo I could have sworn they should be, must have been a dark day. I'll finish them off one day, I'd like to see the train up & running.
One question to all involved in this thread, Is there any known occasion where a Grey A4 ended up in charge of a Blue streamliner or were all the A4s blue by the time the Coro' & West Riding were running?
I'm not a huge fan of the A4s, I much prefer the more conventional/elegant shape of the A1/3s, so both of my A4s are grey (the new loco drive model really is something....very nice but I can't find the love for them in blue).
If not I'll probably use modellers licence anyway, or "Brown Jack" or maybe "Humorist" with its flash double chimney can do the job.

Cheers
Paul

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (nzpaul @ 4 Aug 2007, 00:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bro S
My Coro' is currently half done...4 to go. Sadly I've made the error of painting the rooves black, reason being that after studying a b/w photo I could have sworn they should be, must have been a dark day. I'll finish them off one day, I'd like to see the train up & running.
One question to all involved in this thread, Is there any known occasion where a Grey A4 ended up in charge of a Blue streamliner or were all the A4s blue by the time the Coro' & West Riding were running?
Cheers
Paul

A Potted history of A4 liveries.
The first 4 of the line were intended to haul the Silver Jubilee and were thus painted Silver Grey. The next 5 were intended as general purpose locos and so received a two different versions of LNERs lined green. After the success of the Silver Jubilee the LNER decided to mark the coronation of King George V, thus was born the Coronation with the 5 "empire" locos to be incharge, they also laid on a streamlined set for the woollen barons of Leeds and Bradford, The West Riding Limited with Golden Fleece and Golden Shuttle on the front. Then it was back to general use locos and back to green, however the running sheds were having a hard time matching servicable locos of the right colour to the right train so it was decided all new locos would be painted Garter Blue and all in service locos would be repainted at works visits.
For a much more in depth look at the A4 see here http://www.gresley.org.uk/a4names.htm
Whilst I don't have any pictures to hand of a blue A4 on the SJ I do ha a picture of 4492 Dominion of New Zealand on the SJ and as mentioned the sheds were having trouble matching locos to trains so I'm sure if you look for long enough you'll find a Silver loco on the Coronation.

With regard to the roof colour, I've seen pictures of the Coronation with prisine white roofs and very dark roofs. Also of the Beaver Tail still in original form in Blood and Custard with grey roof. For my set I'd intended to go with black roofs 'til I saw Pedromorgans friends West Riding Limited with white roofs, and now the train is complete I'm glad I made the change, it's not to late for you to repaint your roofs, just make sure you use a low tack masking tape and remove the tape before the paint hardens so it doesn't crack.

I hope some of this is of help or inspiration and as you say there's always "modellers licence"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for that Arethusa
I have got "2a" of the Green Bibles & East Coast Pacifics at hand and I'm sure the relevant info is at had if I got motivated and had a look. Sadly I find once a stuff up has been uncovered with a model it tends to dull the enthusiasm a bit, but eventually I'll get back to the Coro set, probably after the V4 & the Hush Hush are finished......5-10 years at current rate of progress.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
A belated picture of Brians progress on the SJ, I understand the windows are now unmasked and will post a picture ASAP

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
That looks good..

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 26 Aug 2007, 17:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A belated picture of Brians progress on the SJ, I understand the windows are now unmasked and will post a picture ASAP

I'm new to the forum, and spend most of my time looking at things, trying to get inspired. You've made it! I'm not particularly interested in Streaks, butb the sight of your models have made me resolve to get off my backside and start doing something productive.

Thank you for your posts.

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 26 Aug 2007, 17:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A belated picture of Brians progress on the SJ, I understand the windows are now unmasked and will post a picture ASAP

Have been working on the set over the Bank Holiday in between BBQ's and beer and 'her in doors' gets upset if I hide away for the whole weekend!

The windows are now un-masked as me brother said, they came off with out to much flaking, only a copy of touch ups needed. Have started to paint in the silver beading and window frames. Not a quick job as doing it all by 00000 (5 0's) brush!
sends the eyes a bit googly so still have 2 1/2 coaches to do.

Then its on to the buffers and then when I get some suitable plastic stripping, will mount the roof boards, with the last job making and fitting the 'rubber' fairings between the articulated coaches.

Will send Arethusa an upto date pic for him to post

Brian

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
QUOTE (bro sewell @ 6 Jul 2007, 09:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Finally got a break in the weather yesterday and got another chance to do some spraying, its going to take a third go at getting this colour to match, have lightened up the p54 silver grey with white, took a whole jar and a bit more. thinned the required amount an set to, it looked a pretty good match to the loco prior to spraying but when dry it was still to dark, will have to go and buy more white on saturday and have another go as weather men say we are in for a dry weekend (about time) Will keep you updated on my progress

Brian

Hi Brian
I have also got a Mailcoach kit of Silver Jubilee which I havenot yet summonded up enough courage to start. I must say reading about your efforts and your photos have got my fingers twitching a bit. You say you have used Bachman bogies.
Is there a reason for this or just your preference ? I am sure my kit has got Mailcoach bogie kits. Have you seen the book
"Steamlined Steam -Britain's 1930s Luxury Expresses" There are some terrific pictures and some detail re paint finishes , and the use of Rexine both inside and out which have helped me . If you have the book all well and good , if not I can post the details.
Regards Tony 10001

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi all,

Am now away from home for the next month looking after some bodies hotel so they can have a holiday! So posting will be a bit as and when

First to 10001, not got or read that book, did most of my research online both hear on the forum and others, and talking to them down at Cooper Craft. The old Kirk Kit insructions are a bit basic.

The set is all but complete now, only the farings to do.

secondly, I used the Bachmann bogies as it was easier than getting the extra bits for the frames provided in the kit, i.e. bearing cups, wheels and to be honesist, you can't tell in 00 the size diff' between then, they are alsi cheap at £2.20 a pair with wheels, less if you go on ebay!

Thirdly, I used a brush as its all I have, Arethusa had a look at a Bob Moore lining pen but couldn't make it work. It may of taken me an hour or so per coach, but you can't tell its brush painted

When I get it done, I will of course send Andii the pics to put on here, then its on to look for another project, might play with some Pullmans?

Keep up the modelling

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
"Arethusa had a look at a Bob Moore lining pen but couldn't make it work. It may of taken me an hour or so per coach, but you can't tell its brush painted"

I wasnt complaining about the quality of work at all, i was just curious. the bob moore pen does take some getting used to. i think it is best kept for doing panelled coaches like LMS and early GWR rather than this type. to make it work i first flush it with a syringe full of cellulose thinners then thin the paint with varnish thinners (slower drying).

If you are ever in the london area i would be happy to give a demo.

Peter

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi Peter,

Will take you up on that offer if am in the area, will off course have to meet up at Warley and have a brew! Andii and I are looking at doing both days so we can take it all in as we have never been.

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Yes i will be there both days too. I do have to cover some lunch breaks but apart from that anytime is good for me.

Its a good idea to do both days then you are not rushing around to fit evrything in. apart from the big launches its good to see all the little launches too. last year a real gem for me was the IKB broad gauge rover. this launch took up about a square foot but i think it was one of the nicest things at the show. if i had only 1 day i would never have noticed it.

Regards

Peter

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

Dont want to steal your article just need some help and I think your doing a wonderful job, love all the detail you have gone to and even better the time you can spare. Brilliant work!

I am also doing a 6 coach Silver Jubilee and I was wondering if you could help me with colours for the interior of the 1st 2nd 3rd class coaches. I have painted the interior doors choc brown wood panels light brown the seats cream but have since found out that this may be wrong etc. Coaches will have lights I got from DCC concepts in Perth who buy the way stock just about everything you could dream of. You want to see some of the stuff he has made and sells.

Driver & Fireman added

Lights on front of loco

I am adding a smoke generator and a loksound 3.5 + lights as this loco has plenty of room in it.

Also I plan on putting a red brake light on the rear of the tender, Question, did they have one here and if so which side?

Many thanks

Martin

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
The red tail (brake) lamp would only have been placed on the tender when the engine was running light. It should not be visible when the loco is hauling a train. The side it went on would probably have depended on which side of the loco the platform was at the time the lamp was put in place. There does not appear to be anything in the steam-age railway Rule Book or the Appendices which requires it to be in a particular position.

Regards,
John Webb

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Looking good Martin,

I will have a look at the instruction again when I next get home (should be Monday) and will tehn let you know what paints I used for my set.

On a second comment, you said you are doing a six coach rake, is this through you choice/ limited space? The SJ was first a seven coach then rebuilt to an eight in 1938, Third twin (Brake Third-Third), Restaurant Triple (Third-Kitchen-First) First Twin (First-Brake First) then in '38 an extra Third was added to the Third Twin making it a Triple (Brake Third-Third-Third)

Would love to see you set when done so can compare. Which kits are you using and which scale?

Brian

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.