Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
You said:

Driver & Fireman added Lights on front of loco I am adding a smoke generator and a loksound 3.5 + lights as this loco has plenty of room in it. Also I plan on putting a red brake light on the rear of the tender, Question, did they have one here and if so which side?

**** Hi Martin, that looks great. Don't forget you will have enough functions on the LS 3.5 for all you want plus the "flickering firebox" as well... it only takes a change on one CV to activate it and an orange/yellow LED will work well.

Regards

Richard

PS - thanks for the kind words

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

For me Brian it is a little bit of space at the moment and what I am doing is painting the interior of the hornby jubilee coaches. I could only manage to get 6 but would love to build a Jubilee Restaurant Triple. Could I see some pics of yours please. I saw one that Richard did at dcc concepts and it was fantastic to see a built coach in the flesh. Im doing HO/OO or Hornby but when my soldering gets up to speed I will have a crack at one of the kits.

Thanks for that John on the red light, it only comes on when the loco goes in reverse and I can switch it of if I dont want it on. I found a spot which looks like its a mount for a light on the tender beside the steps. I have also put a red light on the rear brake coach which is always on.

You mentioned Richard about the flickering firebox, yes I will do that thats a great idea. When you got your new place up and running I will be down, when do you expect the new shop to be operational?

My last point is I have now added lights and 18 passanger's to the 1st class brake car. I spent a lot of time painting them + interior and getting it right only to discover you cant really see them under the (real) yellow goldy light they had back then. If I put in the blue/white you get to see much more detail but it looks.... well it just looks wrong. Little bit disappointed about that.

Anyway that how it is.

Martin

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Martin,
Glad to have been of help. Looking at my Hornby model of Mallard, there are two lamp 'irons' on the left hand side and one on the right of the corridor connection when looking at the back of the tender, just above the buffer beam. So I expect they'd hang a tail light on one or other of these.
Regards,
John

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
You Said:

You mentioned Richard about the flickering firebox, yes I will do that thats a great idea. When you got your new place up and running I will be down, when do you expect the new shop to be operational?

My last point is I have now added lights and 18 passanger's to the 1st class brake car. I spent a lot of time painting them + interior and getting it right only to discover you cant really see them under the (real) yellow goldy light they had back then. If I put in the blue/white you get to see much more detail but it looks.... well it just looks wrong. Little bit disappointed about that.

*** We'll be there full time from Tuesday - one hell of a mess to sort and a wall to build but we'll be smiling - and spending lots of time trying to find things I expect!

Re the coach interior lights - they were never bright, but even though you can't see so much, the impression will be so much better with the passengers there... are U using yellow LEDs ?? Try golden/Prototype whites with somewhere between 2~6k ohms on each - it'll give lots of light but will keep the "warmth" you need in the lighting. I have plenty of them if U need - just call me to work out when, even throughout the move I can find them for you.

Re Soldering - I do hold soldering schools quite regularly - email me off list if you'd like to be added to the list for the next one - its usually 3 nights (same night each week for three weeks) from 7.30 to 10.30.

Not too erxxy, and they do seem to work well as one of my students took first place at an NMRA convention modelling contest with his first atempt after the schools so we must do something right - the same guy is now soldering some of the finest N scale whitemetal castings I've ever seen!

Regards

Richard

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hi Martin,

Will send some pics to me brother and get him to post them for me.

My skills are not upto soldering either, have used plastic kits. I would beg you not to use the hornby ones as they are just old LMS painted silver and dont look right, the plastic kits are not that hard to make, give Cooper Craft a call and they will help you out

Look further back in this thread for the cheats used to improve the building of them

Brian

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Looking very good Brian

I bought the Hornby Silver Jubilee Train pack for 109 GB pounds and 3 extra coaches. I thought they were right but looking at a side view of yours which look great, they are not alike at all. Brian I have just got back into trains after a 20 yr break, work lifestyle etc. I have only being doing it for about 9 months now since my beautiful wife bought me the Hornby DCC pullman set as a surprise.

Where do you get your plastic kits from. I find them very flexable as in I can do what I want to a certain degree to them. I would love to build the Restaurant Triple and if that comes out good I might flog the rest off on ebay and do it like yours Brian.

I will post a couple more pics of the brake coach fitted with lights and brake light tomorrow.

Plastic kits no problem see below one I did and scratch built the top and bottom of the long wagon.

Richard plan to come down when your set up want to sigh up for your course and buy some more stuff from you.

Sorry once again for posting everything in one go.

Kind Regards,

Martin

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Martin,

My set is from Cooper Craft, its the old Kirk kit which is long out of production so they had to substute some of the sides from the Coranation kits and then use a big hand full of modellers licience, but only revite counters would know!

Give them a call and am sure will do the same for you.

Decals came from Foxes, they do a set but you will also need to get the Coranation set as the SJ set is incomplete for a full length set. Paint is from Phionex (read further back for the hassle this gave me)

Look forward to seeing your project pics

Brian

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
My first Jubilee coach with interior work and brake lamp.

Thanks for that info, had a good think about it Brian and I really want to build my own now.

Are Copper Craft in the UK? or Australia? Did a search for them on the web.

Thanks will keep you posted.

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Cooper Craft are UK based down in London, they advertise in the Modeller every month, if you get them on the phone its better to call after 1pm UK time or do it via email [email protected] or [email protected]

Your tail light looks good

Brian

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Time to up date this thread.

I went down to the running nite last night for the monthly running at the Melton Mowbray MRC and give the set its first trials, was a bit nervous as I drew the set out of the fiddle yard with Silver Fox at the lead trying to remember how to opperate the controls.

As I pulled it onto the scenic side a big smile spread across my face as she drew up though the station and beyond. They ran better than a could of hoped, a small derailment on a double slip but thats it. They had a sleight wobble in the latteral body play, but nothing I can't live with.

I also took this chance to take down a couple of my other new items, the Master Cutler set and a green 121 bubble rail car.

For the pics go to me brothers gallary, Tales from the work bench.

This was also for Andii and me to run both our sets together, and what a site seeing them pass, will have to get a move on with Mill Dale so we can run on it

Brian

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.