Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a scratch built Ian Kirk Sillver Jubilee 8 car set behind the live steam silver Link loco and can only run it round a minimum 4 foot radius curve. Are there any preformed points available for this radius or greater?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello. welcome to the forum. there are one or 2 issues with the mailcoach.kirk kits that you have. one is the coupling distance and another is that there is not enough clearence above the bogies. if you use the correct size wheels then they will foul the chassis.

can you give us a better idea of what your partucular problem is? push them very slowly around a corner and see if you can see exactly whats happening. i have a couple of coronation twins that i swapped the wheels for a smaller size to get around the problem.

If its the coupling distance and the coaches are actually touching when they go round the corner then its a bit more difficult to sort out.

is the problem at the coupled ends of the coaches or is it at the articulated ends of the coaches?

Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 21 Sep 2008, 09:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hello. welcome to the forum. there are one or 2 issues with the mailcoach.kirk kits that you have. one is the coupling distance and another is that there is not enough clearence above the bogies. if you use the correct size wheels then they will foul the chassis.

can you give us a better idea of what your partucular problem is? push them very slowly around a corner and see if you can see exactly whats happening. i have a couple of coronation twins that i swapped the wheels for a smaller size to get around the problem.

If its the coupling distance and the coaches are actually touching when they go round the corner then its a bit more difficult to sort out.

is the problem at the coupled ends of the coaches or is it at the articulated ends of the coaches?

Peter
The problem is the coupling distance of the articulated coaches and adjusting it doesn't help much and looks terrible. The wheels fouling the framework is easily sorted out.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

Any chance of seeing some photo's of the problem if thats possible as I am very keen to get my hands on a Jubilee set. From there someone may be able to give you more help.

I know if you search on the forum Peter has done some beautiful work with the brass coaches for the Jubilee.

m

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (jubilee @ 20 Sep 2008, 23:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am currently running a scratch built Ian Kirk Sillver Jubilee 8 car set behind the live steam silver Link loco and can only run it round a minimum 4 foot radius curve. Are there any preformed points available for this radius or greater?

Yes - Peco do 60inch (5ft) radius curves in Streamline track: SL-88 and SL-89 (Insulated frog) and SL-E88, E89 in electrofrog.

As a fellow Hornby 'Live-steamer' operator I try to get the largest radius I can for these models as they can get rather fast! On the "Gauge 0, 1 & Larger, Garden and Live Steam" section of the Forum, there are some other posts about the Hornby live steam - mostly older postings, but they still may be of interest to you.

Regards,
John Webb

PS Welcome to the Forum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts