Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through all this forum and can't find the answer to this -probably very simple - question. I'm very new to DCC, but no stranger to electronics, having got the Roco Digital starter system we've also bought a couple of more engines, one has had the decoder fitted the other not. Now then, (HOe by the way) the diesel engine in question has a suppressor and 2 resistors on the motor, I understand the suppressor has to be removed but what about the 2 resistors?? I don't want to burn either the motor or decoder out on my 1st fitting

It's a Roco diesel engine and a Train control systems decoder (M1). Any/all advice welcome

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Hi skorpio, welcome to the forum.

You can remove capacitors and chokes (coils of copper) that are there to reduce electromagnetic interference under DC.

Normally you can remove any resistors too. These maybe are there to slow down the motor a little. I have removed resistors on some modes without any adverse consequence at all.

If there are any lights on the model, there maybe other electronic components on the lighting circuits diodes and or resistors. Depending what you have you can modify it for the decoder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doug,
that's what I needed to know, there's no chokes, just a suppressor across the brushes and a resistor in each brush feed, so just remove them all and wire in decoder as per diagram.
No lights so no problems tere. Thanks again, and hope to be on the forum whenever I can

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum Skorpio.

Definatly remove all capacitors, chokes or resistors can be either removed or left. Many earlier Roco locomotives had resistors in series with the motor - I think they were there to restrict the current available should a mechanical problem cause the motor to draw too much current.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Welcome to the forum Skorpio

Look forward to seeing the layout

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys,
the layout is in the early stages as yet
but will try to get some/a pic of it. Zmil, yes the Multimaus system, looks simple,
until you start trying to programme differant locos
suppose I'll have to get the book out

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Skorpio

There are two Advanced Programming Modes on the MultiMAUS - POM (programming on the Main ) and CV (service mode- for programming on the programming track)

as the system does not have an output for a separate programming track, if Programming in the "CV mode" all other loco's must be off the track . CV mode is the only way to change CV1 (the address of the locomotives decoder)

You can buy an NCE Auto-SW which will give you an automatic solution There is a thread to explain about it Here

POM is good for adjusting Loco's when they are running on the track - you select your locomotives address and then Press
the Up arrow key and Menu key simultaneously

the Screen will show the word Loco (provided you have the language in English)

Press the key to the right of the stop button (Right arrow key)

Now you are in the Programming menu

Press the *OK button

Now the Display will show CV Modification (scrolling across the screen) Small print underneath reads" MENU Prog" and 1

If you press the right Arrow key again the display will show LONG ADDRESS + Menu Prog and 2

Press the right Arrow key once more -Display shows MODE Menu Prog and 3

Press *OK and the display will show the setting for programming mode POM or CV

You select which mode you require and Press *OK- the display will go back to MODE - Pressing STOP will Display will go back up to PROGRAM Press*OK and you will be in CV Modification

STOP will always take you back , Pressing *OK will take you forward

Pressing *OK in the CV Modification the Next Screen is CV _ Input the Number of the CV that you wish to adjust

The next screen will show a suggested value V= ( a flashing no.) Input the new value

Press *OK and the new value will be written to the decoder

Pressing STOP at any stage will take you back

It is probably not the simplest of controls but very easy to get used to (My grandson had his ALL worked out in about 5 mins)

I find the Loco Library very useful and easy to Add or take loco's from the library . This is handy for controlling 2 or 3 Loco's with one MultiMAUS the arrow keys will select the next loco to control or giving a guest just one loco to control

I use the MultiMAUS through a Lenz LZV100 Command Station (which is borrowed) and it is a fantastic combination

A bit of light reading above , but not as much as in the Manual

Regards

Zmil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.