Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Answering Gary's thread on wholesalers made me think about this.
If Australians were able buy at home at prices within cooee of the UK how significant would it be?
I read on one shop's site recently that they were the largest outside Britain. Add to that the local scene, US and to a smaller extent European the overall market would surely be quite large?
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
After the USA, the UK and Canada, the Aussie market would be the largest in the English speaking world. The problems we have over here are that we are subject to an extra middleman who wants his cut for UK, US and German outline. On the other hand with local outline we have limited number runs jacking up costs.

On a positive note at the last BRMA meeting we were discussing a new shop thats opened in Melbourne called Brunel models. They reckon they can match Hattons for price which is good news if they can. I haven't made it down to Cheltenham to investigate but I hope its true.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 24 Sep 2007, 12:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On a positive note at the last BRMA meeting we were discussing a new shop thats opened in Melbourne called Brunel models. They reckon they can match Hattons for price which is good news if they can. I haven't made it down to Cheltenham to investigate but I hope its true.

I have just looked at their site:
http://www.bdsonline.net/brunelmodels/Hornby/Hornby.htm
Not too bad at all. They are obviously trying. Full marks to them. I might drop them a line soon.

With Tom's in Sydney and the Hornbyshop in Perth I'm feeling a bit dudded as a Queenslander though!

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Ozwarrior, do you have a www address for Hornbyshop in Perth?

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Try this place

there not bad and friendly too. There are located in Perth CBD.

www.citymodels.com.au

Kind Regards

Martin

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Martin71 @ 25 Sep 2007, 19:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try this place

there not bad and friendly too. There are located in Perth CBD.

www.citymodels.com.au

Kind Regards

Martin
I remeber visiting this shop a couple of years back when I was in Perth. Its got a pretty good range. I have also spotted something I want on it's website so thanks for that!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Sol @ 25 Sep 2007, 16:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ozwarrior, do you have a www address for Hornbyshop in Perth?

Hi Ron. These people can have some good deals but it seems to vary:
http://hornbyshop.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi
I find when you add interstate postage it can kill it a bit.

I have also heard that they are the same folk as Corgiclearancehouse on eBay but could be wrong.
Regards,
Les

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW it was the Hornby Hobby Shop that recently made the claim that they were the largest outside the UK.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 26 Sep 2007, 08:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ron. These people can have some good deals but it seems to vary:
http://hornbyshop.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi
I find when you add interstate postage it can kill it a bit.

I have also heard that they are the same folk as Corgiclearancehouse on eBay but could be wrong.
Regards,
Les
It would be good if they were. I have bought a few items from them and found their prices very good.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Thanks for the info on both those shops - Hornbyshop I had known as Great Western Trains when they advertised in BRM, etc but lost their web site. I just looked at the RR072 train set for $249 plus postage & from Hattons with VAT off & postage on about $272. Like a lot of shops, some items are cheaper & others can be dearer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts