Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hornby are considering the production of H0 Skaledale buildings for german layouts.

I hope there will be italian and french buildings, too.
Thomas

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I suspect that the initial consideration of producing German style building is because the German market is frankly huge. Mind you I certainly wouldn't object to seeing some generic buildings in HO. I might even buy some!

Regards

·
Administrator
9,890 Posts
QUOTE Skaledale seems to have been a massive success for Hornby so I suppose they are hoping it will be the same in Europe

The Markt Gasse train shop in Zurich had quite a lot of Skaledale in stock when I was there in July. It must be popular already.

David

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 6 Sep 2007, 20:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got to agree this is one area where Hornby have excelled themselves. Buildings at a quality and price that's difficult to replicate. Full marks to Hornby - when will they switch to 0 gauge ?.

Would anyone have a baseboard strong enough - the OO ones are hardly light.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 7 Sep 2007, 05:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got to agree this is one area where Hornby have excelled themselves. Buildings at a quality and price that's difficult to replicate. Full marks to Hornby - when will they switch to 0 gauge ?.
I agree, they are very good buildings and good value. The only thing I would say is that they do not all seem to be the same scale.

Would the German ones be Skale Dorf?

There is already a huge amount of buildings available for the German market from Faller, Vollmer, Kibri etc so there is a fair bit of competition. I haven't seen much in the way of ready assembled so they may succeeed from that angle.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 6 Sep 2007, 23:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is already a huge amount of buildings available for the German market from Faller, Vollmer, Kibri etc so there is a fair bit of competition. I haven't seen much in the way of ready assembled so they may succeeed from that angle.

In their most recent catalogu Faller have announced that they are offering some of their range prefinished and weathered - could this have prompted Hornby's thinking?

Regards

·
Registered
27 Posts
I must admit to using Skaledale items where appropriate on my HO layout as their quality and consistency is excellent- however they are not recognisable as being any particular origin.

My particular favourite is the superb Duha range direct from the factory- they accept credit cards and are beautifully packed. Wonderful truly central European prototypes that seem strange to our Western eyes, I would have thought that many of the Ep1&2 fans would have acquired this product in spades.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Robert Sands @ 24 Sep 2007, 02:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I must admit to using Skaledale items where appropriate on my HO layout as their quality and consistency is excellent- however they are not recognisable as being any particular origin.

My particular favourite is the superb Duha range direct from the factory- they accept credit cards and are beautifully packed. Wonderful truly central European prototypes that seem strange to our Western eyes, I would have thought that many of the Ep1&2 fans would have acquired this product in spades.
Do they have a website?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Robert Sands @ 23 Sep 2007, 17:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I must admit to using Skaledale items where appropriate on my HO layout as their quality and consistency is excellent- however they are not recognisable as being any particular origin.

On the exhibition circuit down here within spitting distance of Hornby Towers (as I write) it is quite common to find people discussing where the originals of the buildings come from. I can safely say that a good number of them are within a very few miles of the facility. In fact one, I think called derelict house, was almost directly opposite the front doors. Don't bother looking for it now though it has been renovated and extended.

The buildngs are not superdetailed but it is easy enough to customise them.

Regards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.