Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased one to go on my module.
On a small kids layout I'm making I'm going to use it as a Tardis. (I wonder how many will do so!) I'm slightly disappointed that Hornby haven't been able to model the spacious interior which would have been prototypical but maybe Roco will one day!

Black Tree Designs http://www.black-tree-design.com/main.php?...p;shp=&tot=
do 28mm (close enough for me) models of Dr Who figures so I thought a few Daleks plus the good Dr and an assistant. I'll have to spend a bit of time choosing which Dr and even more time the assistant! It doesn't look like they've modelled Billie yet!

I think scenes like that draw a good smile from onlookers. Do you?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE On a small kids layout I'm making I'm going to use it as a Tardis. (I wonder how many will do so!)

I've been doing this with the Harburn Hobbies one for the last five years.

It draws interest the first time someone sees it, but rarely after. What I do now is move it around the layout so I have a spot the Tardis thing going. Busch have a flying saucer you could use with it. However I'm holding our for Sea Devils!

DWDEAL4 Doctor Who complete Set £1050 (12 monthly payments of £87.50) is a bit heavy though

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I wonder what came first, the period police box or the Tardis.

Hornby have now secured the rights from the BBC to manufacture plastic Airfix kits of the Tardis from the Dr Who series. I wonder if this came about from them asking for permission to build the police box for the Skaledale range?

Watch out for kits this Christmas with flashing lights and all. The first Airfix kit to incorporate electronics.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 1 Aug 2007, 07:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder what came first, the period police box or the Tardis.

That's actually a very good question bearing in mind that over the years the Doctor has travelled from the big bang to the end of the universe. So if that's the case the TARDIS predates the police box by several millenia. However, the Doctor disguised the TARDIS to look like a police box back in the 1960's so it would blend in with its local surroundings. It then got stuck in that guise as it's chameleon circuits failed and they have never been repaired. It therefore follows that the police could have in fact modelled the police box on the TARDIS external design which was then seen by the Doctor who decided to use the design to disguise the TARDIS..............................

QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 1 Aug 2007, 12:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That must be the one that appeared on my desk yesterday for a while then............

And you actually saw it?!!

Regards

·
Registered
487 Posts
It maybe of interest, that Harburn Hobbies make two types of police box - one is standard (red) and the other dark blue) dedicated to the City of Edinburgh. Harburn inquired as to my preference when I ordered a police box.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
one facet of the old police box (I rememebr them!!!) that puzzled me... was, why such a big box, when the telephone was on the OUTSIDE?.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 1 Aug 2007, 16:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>one facet of the old police box (I rememebr them!!!) that puzzled me... was, why such a big box, when the telephone was on the OUTSIDE?.

Likewise I remember the police boxes, but surely there were two types the open fronted and the TARDIS type, which of course has become better known due to it's TV connection.

Incidentally I have a kit to build for mine - the intention is to have a blue flashing LED on the roof and a pulsing white light inside. (It may even get the whoosh whoosh sound effect)

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 1 Aug 2007, 17:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Likewise I remember the police boxes, but surely there were two types the open fronted and the TARDIS type, which of course has become better known due to it's TV connection.

Incidentally I have a kit to build for mine - the intention is to have a blue flashing LED on the roof and a pulsing white light inside. (It may even get the whoosh whoosh sound effect)

Regards

before it disappears?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The telephone was accessible from outside for the public to use it to summon assistance. The main use of the boxes was to enable the (foot) patrolling policeman to contact his station at intervals. He needed a tabletop in the dry to write down whatever new information was passed to him - and the police prefered to do this in private because of the confidentiality of some of the info. Likewise if the station wanted to pass on urgent information (no personal radios then, of course) they could trigger the flashing light to let the passing copper know that he should contact them. And they gave shelter in bad weather as well, not that the police were expected to hang around for very long, of course.

The coming of personal radios signalled the end of the boxes, particularly when most patrolling was also moved to motor vehicles.

Regards,
John Webb

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Just a little more info' on Police Boxes (they also had Police Telephones, as I recall, about the same height a a Pillar Box) - they were always positioned so that they could be seen from a distance - like on a crossroads.

Then again you had Policemen that actually patrolled on foot or pushbike (& on their own as well).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 1 Aug 2007, 16:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hornby have now secured the rights from the BBC to manufacture plastic Airfix kits of the Tardis from the Dr Who series. I wonder if this came about from them asking for permission to build the police box for the Skaledale range?

Do you know what scale they'll be Doug? 1:72 perhaps?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (double00 @ 1 Aug 2007, 22:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It maybe of interest, that Harburn Hobbies make two types of police box - one is standard (red) and the other dark blue) dedicated to the City of Edinburgh. Harburn inquired as to my preference when I ordered a police box.

They actually do three, there is the Tardis type plus the Edinburgh ones. The Edinburgh ones being a slightly larger than the Tardis type. The red ones are the same as the Edinburgh ones but are in their current Coffee kiosk garb. Very nice they are too.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 1 Aug 2007, 22:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....(they also had Police Telephones, as I recall, about the same height a a Pillar Box) - they were always positioned so that they could be seen from a distance - like on a crossroads.

I recall that the Police telephones often seemed to be sited near junctions where the police controlled traffic, either full-time or during rush-hours. I assume they didn't use boxes because either there wasn't room or they might have obscured the view of one road from another at the junction.

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts