Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got to cover up a nasty breezeblock wall, and decided to use the Hornby Skaledale Walls (R8730 etc). I am marginally amazed by the cost of it though. Does anyone know any shops that sell it cheaply, or do deals on it? Normally, I'd pay RRP, but I've just been made redundant, hence I need to find a bargain!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
not too sure about the breezeblox?

Are you after some sort of ''backscene?'

Regarding the cost?....don't forget, this is a 'ready-to-lay ' product, ostensibly with nothing else to do?

In your position, financially...which I am always in.......I would consider some sort of mass-production?

Produce a 'master' bit of walling.......using either plaster [dental plaster??]...or simply, buy one section of wall.......and make a mould, to cast replicas?

the issue then is the colouring and texturing?

a quick glance through the adds in Railway modeller [for example] will uncover firms selling unpainted palster retaining walls......?

Another option is to scratchbuild a base...then apply moulded plastic stone or brick sheeting fromthe likes of Wills Scenics, etc?

http://www.scalescenes.com/scratchbuilders-yard

http://www.mayang.com/textures/

http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/download.shtml

are some sites that offer either free, or modest payment downloads for bricks, or stone, paper sheets.

These can be downloaded cheaply at worst, free at best........but need to be stuck to your own [card??] handywork making retaining walls.

This has to be the cheap option for a large quantity....and whilst not quite in the 'textured' arena, can be made VERY convincing.

There are books on card modelling, and structure modelling, which offer good hints on how to best use, what we auld fahrts called 'brickpaper'...[I STILL have some Merco sheets}.......and 'texture' can indeed be added.......with our parlous financial state.......we must substitute the credit card, with own own sweaty effort???

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I forgot to add...when using printed brick or stone paper, one secret lies in the 'detail' you add afterwards?

this distracts the eye away from the lack of 'relief?'

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. The reason I am after this walling is that I already have some of it installed. I had planned just to use brick card to cover a much longer gap, but it looks terrible when placed next to the more detailed product. I hadn't considered building something, but I know that that is almost certainly beyond my skills, as I am utterly useless at such things.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (Fireline @ 12 Jan 2008, 16:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have got to cover up a nasty breezeblock wall, and decided to use the Hornby Skaledale Walls (R8730 etc). I am marginally amazed by the cost of it though. Does anyone know any shops that sell it cheaply, or do deals on it? Normally, I'd pay RRP, but I've just been made redundant, hence I need to find a bargain!

Try The Signal Box they list R8730 for example at £10.50 but remember to take P&P into account (typically £4) www.thesignalbox.co.uk

Do a google search using the ref number and walls to see what other supplies are asking. As stocks can be low and some web sites are not updated I tend to email first enquiring how many of whichever items they have before placing the order.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE but I know that that is almost certainly beyond my skills, as I am utterly useless at such things

I cannot believe that statement for one moment.

you manage a computer?

access to a printer?

do you eat Cornflakes? [for the cardboard boxes?]

Some kids PVA glue?

Scissors?

[have you ever hung wallpaper? If so, maybe we could dop a trade?]

Draw a picture [copy your mental picture] of what you want?

I suggest something that looks a bit like a row of arches?

a bit like, a long strip of card...maybe 6 or so inches wide....then draw a series of upside-down 'U's.....

the middle of the 'U' will be inset from the 'arch' bit.........decide how far [find a prototype picture to 'copy?']

Then it's, cut-out-and-glue?......when sticking on brick paper, try to get the brick courses to line up??

have a go one morning?

just try a short bit??

if you succeed [don't TRY and replicate the Hornby item...] and feel OK with your efforts.....bash on.

After all....when brassic, it beats breeze blox?

and you can ALWAYS replace your efforts with something more to your tastes when the financial situation improves.

[I SUGGEST....you take a peek at some of the older model railways in pictures you can find....mags going back to the 1960's, etc?........see just how 'effective'' cheapo methods can be...especially brickpaper.....which was all that many of us had to play with??]

HAVE A GO!.....please?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (alastairq @ 12 Jan 2008, 17:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I cannot believe that statement for one moment.
you manage a computer?

access to a printer?

do you eat Cornflakes? [for the cardboard boxes?]

Some kids PVA glue?

Scissors?
[have you ever hung wallpaper? If so, maybe we could dop a trade?]
Draw a picture [copy your mental picture] of what you want?

I suggest something that looks a bit like a row of arches?

a bit like, a long strip of card...maybe 6 or so inches wide....then draw a series of upside-down 'U's.....
the middle of the 'U' will be inset from the 'arch' bit.........decide how far [find a prototype picture to 'copy?']

Then it's, cut-out-and-glue?......when sticking on brick paper, try to get the brick courses to line up??
have a go one morning?
just try a short bit??
if you succeed [don't TRY and replicate the Hornby item...] and feel OK with your efforts.....bash on.
After all....when brassic, it beats breeze blox?
and you can ALWAYS replace your efforts with something more to your tastes when the financial situation improves.
[I SUGGEST....you take a peek at some of the older model railways in pictures you can find....mags going back to the 1960's, etc?........see just how 'effective'' cheapo methods can be...especially brickpaper.....which was all that many of us had to play with??]
HAVE A GO!.....please?

Thanks for your reply, I thought I ought to confirm a few of them!

1) I haven't got a printer
2) I don't eat cornflakes (other cereals are available, but I don't eat those either..)
3) I tried hanging wallpaper once, but only succeeded in ruining a carpet! (Answers on a postcard, please..)
4) I can't draw (no, I'm not kidding, I really can't get what is in my head onto paper).
5) I bought some Metcalfe brick card, and tried cutting that to fit. Looks bloody awful in comparison!
6) Remember the kid at school in craft classes who, when everyone else had built their model, had only just worked out which way up the instructions went? That's me!

I am really only looking to save a few quid, rather than hundreds, hence I was just asking if someone knew anyone doing a deal on the walls. Thanks everyone for your suggestions though! Contrary to popular belief, they really are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I ordered 5 sets of the skaledale retaining walls yesterday. The cheapest I found them was £10 at Rails of Sheffield. The Skaledale stuff sells so well its hard to get a real bargain, though in my opinion its worth every penny! I love building kits, but I don't enjoy painting them. I also find that I have very little time at the minute so when you factor that in they work out pretty good value too.

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts