Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've just been thinking, which I know is dangerous at my age, but I have noticed over the months that a number of trains, locomotives equipment and locations have nicknames. An example of this is one I posted the other day the "Gobby" van, now I know what one is (a mobile office/workshop) but don't know where the name came from, but would be interested to know.

So come on dig deep for those odd names old and new as well as international.

Regards

John

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
When I were a lad it was all Spaceship, Big Met, Bed Iron, Tango, Swedey Met, Ragtimer, Jazzer, Arrow, Racehorse, Cement Mixer, Ally Sloper, Bongo, STREAK!

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 20 Jun 2007, 16:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So come on dig deep for those odd names old and new as well as international.
Down our way in the Alps there are several:

Brenda = Brenner Pass
Rigi = Re 460 (actually the name of SBB Re 460 045-8, pronouced as Reegee)
Rigis = Re 465 (is an Re 460 + 5 = Rigi + 5 = Rigi5 = Rigis)
Rigiobahn = route with many Re 460 headed trains (as opposed to the DB Regiobahn)
Tonal Taurus = Atonal Taurus (listener chooses)= Siemens ES 64 U2 etc. whose inverters play a scale when moving off
'come out of her shell' = ÖBB locomotive with the 'Pflatsch' symbol in a crash with innards spread out
'to do a Lötschberg' = nasty gravity-shunting accident, preferably at very high speed, because sometimes runaway coaches/wagons/driverless Tauri etc. on steep lines get routed into occupied sidings for damage limitation! It makes a very big mess...
Rolala = empty ROLA train, which makes a lot of noise rattling through station

Goedel
(okay so I made these up!!)

However, one genuine one is:
DOSTO = a contraction of doppelstockwagen (bi-level coach)

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
"Spam Cans" of course for the Bulleid pacifics in their original steamlined form.
"Ugly Ducklings" for the Q1s, also by Bulleid.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 21 Jun 2007, 10:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"Ugly Ducklings" for the Q1s, also by Bulleid.

I've not heard that one before.

Regards

John

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Well, I think it derives from the story of the 'Ugly Duckling' who turned out to be a smart swan - as in Hans Christian Anderson. They are ugly looking but do the job very well - I think they had the highest TE of any 0-6-0 in the country. I cannot recall where I first heard the term, but I was train-spotting on the SR of BR from around 1956/7 onwards.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
East Germany:

Ceaucescu´s revenge -> class 219
(Kraftcontainer) Power container -> class 155
Ludmilla, Breshnev´s revenge, (Kremlwanze) Kremlin cockroach -> class 232
(Taigatrommel) Taiga drum, Chrushtchev´s revenge -> class 220 (former East German class 120)
(Knödelpresse) dumpling mould -> class 180

West Germany:

(Knallfrosch) firecracker -> class 141 (the transformer makes noises that are reminiscent of firecrackers)
Donald Duck -> class 403
(Weißwurst) white sausage, world´s longest tampax -> ICE trains
(Eierkopf) egghead -> class VT08
(Staubsauger) vacuum cleaner -> class 145
(Coladose) Coca-Cola can -> class 103 in red livery
(Bügeleisen) electric iron -> class E71
(Quietschi) squeaky -> class 423/424/425
Tupperware -> class 644 ("Talent")

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Who can forget the Ivatts,

'Flying Pig'

'Mickey Mouse'

I am sure that this could become a very interesting thread!

Brian

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 21 Jun 2007, 20:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>(Staubsauger) vacuum cleaner -> class 145
(

It's interesting how similar names develop in different countries, after all we had the "Hoovers" (EE class50) so named, I understand because of their distinctive sound.

I wonder what the class 66 "shed" is known as in Europe?

Reagrds

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts