Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to DCC though I have been running analogue for a number of years.A helpful local store has chipped about 20 locos using Bachmann decoders.I have also purchased a new Class 37 Diesel with sound decoder.I am using a Dynamis controller.

Strangely the Bachmann locos , including the 37 , run slowly (much slower than using analogue) and seem to lack power whilst Hornby and Heljan run at full normal speed and power.

Despite talking to the store and rearching the Web, I cannot find any explanation and solution to this. All the decoders at are at factory reset level.

Would welcome any comments and suggestions members might make.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Alan, welcome to the forum. The first thing that springs to mind regarding your loco power is to try adjusting CV5 (Max Voltage). It may be possible to set this above default (reset) value depending on which model Bachmann decoder you have. Refer to the CV value tables on the sheet which came with the decoder if you have this. The fact that your Hornby & Heljan loco's run OK seems to suggest that there could be a problem with the way the decoder has been fitted to the Bachmann locos. I would start by checking if the small yellow capacitors have been removed, leaving these in place for DCC operation can cause problems with running speed. Hope this helps.

Regards

·
DT
4,794 Posts
If you say that Bachmann locos run slower than Hornby locos, both using Bachmann decoders, than they did under DC, then it may be down to the capacitors and chokes on the Bachmann locos. No guarantee, but from experience, Bachmann locos have more of both than the Hornby locos.

I haven't found the speeds to be too bad. I've never complained that a loco is not fast enough, but then again, I'm not running TGVs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts