Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to model trains (well I did have a go many years ago) and I am going to build a Shunting Yard 'N' gauge. I have already recieved advice that DCC is the way to go, and I am thinking that NCE Powercab is what I will choose.

My questions are:

1. Which loco is good for Slow speed. I fancy something like a Saddle Tank and a small Diesel (both British of course).?

2. I envisage about 9 points on the layout, do I go Live or Insulated Frogs, and what do I need if I want to operate them from the NCE Powercab.

Spottydog

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (spottydog @ 25 Sep 2008, 06:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm new to model trains (well I did have a go many years ago) and I am going to build a Shunting Yard 'N' gauge. I have already recieved advice that DCC is the way to go, and I am thinking that NCE Powercab is what I will choose.

My questions are:

1. Which loco is good for Slow speed. I fancy something like a Saddle Tank and a small Diesel (both British of course).?

2. I envisage about 9 points on the layout, do I go Live or Insulated Frogs, and what do I need if I want to operate them from the NCE Powercab.

Spottydog

***Others can better recommend loco choice, however I'd say the newer the design the better, as recent production has better pickups.

Definately electrofrog for all pontwork - and modified as per the current threads running on OO peco points - you will need live frogs for small loco's to traverse pointwork without hesitation and stalling.

to operate from the DCC handset you will need point decoders - they are usually sold with several decoder "channels" in a single easily installed device - for example the Lenz LS150 will switch 6 points independently. The LS150 is totally compatible with the PowerCab and is easy to set up and operate with PowerCab too.

Richard

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Spottydog and welcome to the MRF.

As I model N Gauge GWR I can only comment on the locos relative to my own layout. I have 3 No. Graham Farish 0-6-0 s namely a 57XX, an 87XX and a 94XX all of which have pick-ups on all six wheels. I have the CT Elektronic chips installed which, using 128 step control, give very good slow running. If you're thinking of something a little larger I can recommend the Dapol 45XX 2-6-0 Prairie, again with a CT Elektronik chip. I can't comment on or recommend any diesels as I don't have any apart from a couple of GWR Railcars. Other than those I'm strictly a steam man.

The key to consistent slow running is, however, just as much reliant on making sure you have ultra clean track, wheels and pickups and using electrofrog points duly modified as shown in another current thread.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers for now,

Expat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 25 Sep 2008, 12:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Others can better recommend loco choice, however I'd say the newer the design the better, as recent production has better pickups.

Definately electrofrog for all pontwork - and modified as per the current threads running on OO peco points - you will need live frogs for small loco's to traverse pointwork without hesitation and stalling.

to operate from the DCC handset you will need point decoders - they are usually sold with several decoder "channels" in a single easily installed device - for example the Lenz LS150 will switch 6 points independently. The LS150 is totally compatible with the PowerCab and is easy to set up and operate with PowerCab too.

Richard

Thanks Richard, it appears your the first to answer both my posts.

Spottydog

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Expat @ 26 Sep 2008, 00:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Spottydog and welcome to the MRF.

As I model N Gauge GWR I can only comment on the locos relative to my own layout. I have 3 No. Graham Farish 0-6-0 s namely a 57XX, an 87XX and a 94XX all of which have pick-ups on all six wheels. I have the CT Elektronic chips installed which, using 128 step control, give very good slow running. If you're thinking of something a little larger I can recommend the Dapol 45XX 2-6-0 Prairie, again with a CT Elektronik chip. I can't comment on or recommend any diesels as I don't have any apart from a couple of GWR Railcars. Other than those I'm strictly a steam man.

The key to consistent slow running is, however, just as much reliant on making sure you have ultra clean track, wheels and pickups and using electrofrog points duly modified as shown in another current thread.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers for now,

Expat.

Thanks fellow Expat, that was just the information I was after.
Spottydog

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Spottydog,

I too can highly recommend Dapol's 45XX the CT Electronic chip is fabulous one is fitted to my Farish Br blue 04 due to space restrictions, the TCS M1 will fit into the 45XX with care and is more economical as an option i converted four for my collection with them, the locos boxed new on ebay can be bought for a good price ........ none of mine have been more than £25.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts