Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Just before Christmas I bought a LMS Flatiron 2000 class tank loco by wills running on a Triang chassis. I set the loco up on my rolling road and turned my DC controller to about 50% and stood back pleasantly surprised by the response of the chassis. I then sat down to work on painting one of my townstreet models while the tank loco was running on the rolling road. A few minutes later a strong smell of burning caught my attention. I looked at the flatiron and was amazed to see bright orange flames coming out of the firebox! Triang were clearly miles ahead of their time....certainly beats DCC firebox glow!

I quickly cut the power and blew out the flames. I then removed the loco body (which thankfully wasn't damaged at all....can you imagine what the results would be if this happened to a modern loco!!!) and everything looked ok. So I put it back on the rolling road again minus the body and watched carefully. After a few minutes, flames appeared again right where the brushes make contact.

As I am not familar with open frame motors or Triang, is there an easy fix for this or should I just dump the chassis and attempt to modify a modern Hornby 0-6-0 chassis? Is this a common occurrence? Had I left the shed for a while this could have been very serious!

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll get onto it asap!

Rob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts