Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I have 14 points on my layout and have 5 of them powered with Seep PM1 point motors.
(2 of the points that are not yet powered are on a double slip turnout)
These are controlled via the Powercab through a Lenz LS150 6 point decoder, this is powered from its own 16V AC 3amp power supply.

Now sometimes when a route or macro is set, I don't think the power supply has enough time to recover, so one of the outputs of the decoder switches off, to reset needs the power supply to be switched on/off.

The main problem with the LS150 is it needs AC to power it plus the motors it's driving, so you can't connect a CDU to it......sod's law that!

I'm now considering using some tortoise stall motors as these don't need as much current to operate like the coil point motors, and can be driven from the Lenz LS150 using a couple of diodes.
What are they like to install, I dont really want to butcher my turnouts, I've read that you can use a stronger wire to overcome the spring in the point?

I could buy the SMD82 8 way decoder which is a CDU type stationary decoder, which looks to be very good as you can also program it to do routes on its own!(instructions are in the link below)

http://www.teamdigital1.com/smd82%20doc.pdf

Would just like some opinions on what you think.

Ian

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yes you can operate a Tortoise off as little as 3V but at voltages that low it takes a while for Tortoise to complete throwing the point. I use a couple of 12V500ma walwarts to power the Tortoises on my layout with no problems. If you use them with Peco points I'd recommend removing the Peco over center spring from the point as it adds extra drag to the Tortoise and may not throw properly. The self locking action of the Tortoise means it doesn't require these springs to be fitted. By adding a Hare to the Tortoise points route selection is made easy. I've not fitted these yet myself but I have used them on a Lenz controlled layout and it works with ease.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 10 Jan 2007, 05:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>HI,

I have 14 points on my layout and have 5 of them powered with Seep PM1 point motors.
(2 of the points that are not yet powered are on a double slip turnout)
These are controlled via the Powercab through a Lenz LS150 6 point decoder, this is powered from its own 16V AC 3amp power supply.

Now sometimes when a route or macro is set, I don't think the power supply has enough time to recover, so one of the outputs of the decoder switches off, to reset needs the power supply to be switched on/off.

The main problem with the LS150 is it needs AC to power it plus the motors it's driving, so you can't connect a CDU to it......sod's law that!

I'm now considering using some tortoise stall motors as these don't need as much current to operate like the coil point motors, and can be driven from the Lenz LS150 using a couple of diodes.
What are they like to install, I dont really want to butcher my turnouts, I've read that you can use a stronger wire to overcome the spring in the point?

I could buy the SMD82 8 way decoder which is a CDU type stationary decoder, which looks to be very good as you can also program it to do routes on its own!(instructions are in the link below)

http://www.teamdigital1.com/smd82%20doc.pdf

Would just like some opinions on what you think.
Ian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts