Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the consensus out there on track joins? My layout, under contruction, sits in the attic which experiences a wide range of temperatures from under 10C in winter to in excess of 28C in summer. At the moment I have left all joins (peco flexitrack) unsoldered as I was always led to believe that leaving a few gaps and letting the rails move would prevent buckling due to heat expansion. But is this correct? Would I be better off simply soldering the joins? And how much gap is needed if you leave them unsoldered? I am working on a millimetre or so every three or four lengths of track.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for advice. That's the way I have been going, more or less, but will tighten up the gaps a bit to make smoother running. I have about 160ft of track to sort out, including a steep, curved elevated section that I probably should never have attempted yet which seems to work, just about. I just hope I am still fit enough to get up the loft ladder by the time this is finished (about 2020 at current rate of progress) ....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah - relaying is, I find, good for the soul.
So there is consensus that in a hot-cold attic it is actually more important to nail down the sleeper bed properly than worry too much about what is going on in the fishplates?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for all advice. My loft must be fairly dry as I have not seen the sort of warping some have described. Adding under-tile insulation has helped a great deal ... I've used full-thickness foil-backed stuff that really cuts down the temperature variation.
Would it be a good idea for me to now paint the timber frames and undersides of my sundeala baseboards anyway to reduce any further risk of warping?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good stuff ... but I am confused by advice to ditch the fishplates altogether ... when I lay track they form an essential and structurally integral part of the trackwork. Without them, the rails would surely 'ping' out of place, however well glued the sleepers were to the baseboard??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts