Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi all,
I've mentioned these in a couple of topics so I guess I should 'bite the bullet' (and yes, they are both intended for the same layout
).
I had originally planned to focus on the layout building first and leave distractions well alone until I had something to run stuff on, concentrating initially on r-t-r aquisitions. However, recurring limitations due to a back injury (and, I have to admit, just as severe temptation
) means I now accept I should take on some of these projects to make some use of the inevitable 'down-time'.

First up, vinyl overlays for the EWS Company Train and GraFar Mk3's to apply them to, these are to go with the Dapol Class 67 and DVT which I have pre-ordered.

Later, Etched Pixels LBSCR Stroudley set to fit modified Peco underframes, intended for the Dapol Terrier 'Freshwater' which I also have on pre-order.

The overlays shouldn't present too much of a learning curve (that's surely asking for trouble...) although there are things about the project I have yet to decide. Those lovely looking etches will be new ground for me, but they look straight-forward enough, the instructions are clearly set out and I reckon with a little practice first it shouldn't be too daunting

As soon as I have some additional bits and pieces sorted I'll post a progress report, and probably have a few things to seek advice on

Regards, Gerry.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi again

Taking the Mk3 apart proved straight forward

The sides were cleared using acetone free nail polish remover, to clean it up I'll try the recommendation of a coat of 'Johnsons Klear' when that arrives, I did try to get some locally but could only find the newer version which I've seen reported "...isn't the same..." for our purposes.
I'm also awaiting an order which includes acrylic satin varnish spray for the vinyls, to be applied prior to fitting those to the shell.

I now start contemplating "how far do I go" with this, in such esteemed company just slapping the vinyls on and re-assembling the parts may seem too basic so...
The roof for each coach will need a repaint anyhow, so that's on the list of jobs. The roof detail is an area I'm uncertain of, one of the first things mentioned about N in particular is that the view from above is most noticeable, my layout's track level will be almost chest height so that won't be too bad but I can't find - so far - any useful images of the real thing. I've seen a 4mm project which suggests to me some work would really be needed but there's the old adage "never model a model", I may leave that for now and come back to it at some point in the future.
GF bogies are notoriously basic but I've not seen BT10's (I think that's right?) available, I have seen brake discs and I can come back to that later as well - any thoughts?
I've had a notion for the interior. I'll have to put in an interior for at least two of the coaches and so have on order some B. R. Lines ones that will need modification to approximate the images I've found on the internet.
I don't know how well any of this would be seen in N but I guess the rear of the vinyl will show up inside, I thought I might try printed interiors onto 'Crafty Computer Paper' but I'm not sure yet if this is either worthwhile or workable - I could just 'tint' the windows
, again, any thoughts?

A very rough first draft, it'll need curtains at the very least...

Anyhow, I'll get the other two shells ready and await the postman, slap the vinyls on and perhaps leave it at that

Regards, Gerry.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
That certainly looks a nice little project Gerry and I look forward to seeing how those carriages turn out. Did you get the vinyl overlays from Electra Graphics ? The reason I ask is that I am waiting for them to produce the GWR Parcels Express overlay to go on one of my Diesel Railcars so I will be watching how you get on with great interest.

I haven't come across Etched Pixels before so I will have to investigate their range to see if they do anything suitable for my layout (Post WWII GWR). Again I will be interested to see your progress.

Hope the back improves soon so you can get back to the layout itself. Happy modelling.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Expat,
I would imagine that for all practical purposes you can consider their application as pretty much the same. Given my interests I too am looking forward to the Parcels Express overlays - but it does mean I'll have to invest in a second railcar

Etched Pixels primarily produces Southern and antecedent company kits, I'm afraid for now there's only a single item from 1856 for those of us with a GWR leaning. I'll probably be going back to him if my abilities prove up to the job as I'll want some of his LSWR etches for my Dapol M7's to head up

Regards, Gerry.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Gerry.

I've been in touch with Adam Warr at Electra Railway Graphics and he advises that the GWR Parcels Railcar sides are now available. He has both the GWR Choc. & Cream and the Red ones ready so I suggest you place your order.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,
Fortunately for my wallet Adam is off on his holidays so I'll hold back my order to him until his return. As I'm still waiting for postie on some other bits for now I'll just post an image of the other pending project referred to previously:

There'll be two of these to do, anyone want two very nice looking V60 bodies

Regards, Gerry.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
You wouldn't want it Brian, even in SNCB colours - it's N Gauge.

Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts