Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to buy a DCC system I have purchased a Bachman EZ DCC and though it works great I love the easy way you can program things and how simple how it all works though you with only 14 speed steps things aren't as good I had hoped.

I'm now looking for a new system I want one that can be coupled to a PC and is as easy to use as the EZ System but with more speed steps so that its easyer to use, but I havernt got alot of money to spend.

Which is the system that would be best for me.
Personally I fell the lenz system would be best for me or should I wait and see what the new hornby system will be like ?

Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Peter

Because you say cost needs to be considered,
I would wait for the Hornby controllers to become available.
The specifications on the "Select" and the "Elite" look to be good
see this link for a comparison table http://www.p4me.net/dcccc/systems.html
As you will see both controllers have 14/28/128 speed steps
The "Elite" also comes with a computer interface
Hope this helps

Jeff

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for the link to my site Dr Diesel!

I always think the Digitrax Zephyr is a good starter set, It gives you every feature there is, and can be connected to a computer with an MS100 or LocoBuffer interface.
Also have a look at the Roco MultiMouse, which is a very neat little system which should do just about anything you could want.
My current pick of the bunch though is the ESU ECoS Centre, which looks quit brilliant and simply connects to your computer (or network) via ethernet.

DCC Systems Comparison Table

·
Registered
697 Posts
Lisa; yes the ESU ECos Centre looks very interesting indeed, I'd be tempted.
If you get any more information about it, please post on here or Rmweb.

Pete; I'd wait for the Hornby Elite or the Roco MultiMouse to be released.
Apart from being very well specified systems at the price, both of these feature the ability to display train/loco and point/accessory names in a user writable format instead of just the decoder address.

For example, with EWS class 60 diesel no. 60026 you could display this in different ways according to taste and the limitation of the number of characters available.
e.g. 60026, EWS60, EWS026, EWS60026, cl60, class60, Heavy or whatever.

With most current systems you would be limited to displaying the 4 digit address, which is OK if you can remember which one is which?
e.g. 6026, 0026, 1234 etc.

Possible uses? Mallard, A4, scot, hall, ivatt, black5, jinty, goods, express, HST, deltic, cl31, gronk, shed etc, etc. Same goes for points, signals etc.

I personally believe this new generation of budget systems, with their high specification, make the likes of the Lenz Compact and Digitrax Zephyr dead in the water.

Regards
Oakydoke

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Lisa, thanks for the additional information. I think your site is very informative and next time I post a link to it I will give you a mention too!

Regards
Dr Diesel (Jeff)

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
The ZTC (UK) 505 mid range model looks like a starter too with the best features of their upper end model the 5111 with out all the extras that 99% wouldn't have used ie using the old Hornby Zero - 1 digital control format.

I am purchasing

·
Registered
697 Posts
CAUTION !

ZTC systems are seriously overpriced for limited functionality.

The ZTC 505 compares with £90 - £120 "budget" systems from other brands.
All you are getting is a "nice" control panel

I look at quite a few forums and newsgroups, and where DCC is concerned, I have never seen anybody recomend ZTC, in fact quite the reverse.
Even those owners who say they are happy with their ZTC systems, do not go out of their way to recommend them to others.

I have no personal gripe with ZTC, but the warnings are all over the place and cannot be ignored. I've heard 1st hand accounts from unhappy users and read enough, to know I won't be going there.

You" pays 'yer money and 'yer takes choice"

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I've been a Digitrax user for years. I have the space to build two layouts one large for my existing kit and an extended shunting plank in the study, for that I'm going to buy a Zephyr. Basically it's a fully featured unit with all the bells and whistles, but with less amps. I think they offer superb value for money, when you compair features for your buck. My 2nd choice would be the new budget NCE, I don't have a third choice, since the Lenz budget compak is very short on features. Its the features that count in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts