Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a little luck, this Sunday will be loft layout build: Day 1. I've got some more layout building questions that I could really do with some help on.
I'm using Peco 100 and my base boards are all 6mm and I'll be using 3mm cork tiles as underlay (to be ballasted later on scenic sections)

Control:

I have several points that are off scene (See blog for layout). I need some sort of train detection. Has anyone used IRDOT from heathcote-electronics? Ideally I would like the trains to stop at a specific point rather than an LED come on and me to stop the train (I'm using DCC). The signalling PCBs look like a great idea too but I'm not quite sure where I need signalling (although I would like to include signals at some point.

Reverse loop module - will any do? I've got an NCE powercab.

Point motors? - are PL10 point motors the ones to use? I want manual control rather than DCC control if that matters. I'll be using MasterswitchV2s for point control. Are side mounted point motors reliable?

Power:

Power Bus - how do people do this? I'm going to make the point mods as discussed in my other thread and I'll be wiring each track section together rather than relying on the frogs to do it. So thats track power sorted. How do people provide their tracks with a seperate power supply - i.e. point power and signal power etc. is there something off the shelf for the job - I don't really want to get into open 240v/16v transformer fiddling. How do you supply this external power supply round the track? Just run wires underneath roughly where the track is?

Think thats pretty much my main nagging questions. The base building I've done before its just the power and control of the layout is completely new ground for me.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (eddscott @ 17 Sep 2008, 12:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With a little luck, this Sunday will be loft layout build: Day 1. I've got some more layout building questions that I could really do with some help on.
I'm using Peco 100 and my base boards are all 6mm and I'll be using 3mm cork tiles as underlay (to be ballasted later on scenic sections)

Control:

I have several points that are off scene (See blog for layout). I need some sort of train detection. Has anyone used IRDOT from heathcote-electronics? Ideally I would like the trains to stop at a specific point rather than an LED come on and me to stop the train (I'm using DCC). The signalling PCBs look like a great idea too but I'm not quite sure where I need signalling (although I would like to include signals at some point.

Reverse loop module - will any do? I've got an NCE powercab.

As far as I know any reverse module will do.They all do the same thing.

Point motors? - are PL10 point motors the ones to use? I want manual control rather than DCC control if that matters. I'll be using MasterswitchV2s for point control. Are side mounted point motors reliable?

I find the Gaugemaster Point Motors very good.They have the built in switch for changing frog polarity as you have to fit a seperate switch to the Peco motor which is a bit of a fiddle. If you are using the MASTERswitch you wont need the built in switch. Richard Johnson who makes the MASTERswitch is your man for information on this. He is on this forum.

Power:

Power Bus - how do people do this? I'm going to make the point mods as discussed in my other thread and I'll be wiring each track section together rather than relying on the frogs to do it. So thats track power sorted. How do people provide their tracks with a seperate power supply - i.e. point power and signal power etc. is there something off the shelf for the job - I don't really want to get into open 240v/16v transformer fiddling. How do you supply this external power supply round the track? Just run wires underneath roughly where the track is?

TRACK BUS. For the main track bus use 32/0.2 for the main bus wires. Twist them together under where the tracks are and use 16/0.2 dropper wires soldered under the track sections & connected to the main bus wires where they drop down. Use dropper wires at least every 36". Keep the dropper wires shorter than 300mm or 12". Do NOT depend on rail joiners to carry the track power. If your layout is bigger than train set size break the layout up into power districts. There are Power breaker modules available from all the DCC manufacturers,NCE make one. Two wires from your Track power supple goes into one side of the module & usually up to 4 sections can be powered from the other side of the module.That way if you have a short only the section affected will be closed down. It makes it much easier to find the fault. Colour code your wiring & mark the wiring of each section with a differant tag/label. It makes things much easier believe me.

POINT/SIGNAL POWER SUPPLY. For the point/signal power supply use a laptop power supply which are freely available. Use seperate wires around under the layout for this supply. Do NOT mix the Point & Signalpower with the track power. Keep them seperate.

Think thats pretty much my main nagging questions. The base building I've done before its just the power and control of the layout is completely new ground for me.

There is loads of help available here on the forum from people who have forgotten more than I will ever know. If you have any more questions just ask. There is no such thing as a stupid question. The only stupid question is a question you don't ask.The main thing is, Take your time & have fun.
Thanks in advance

1 - 2 of 2 Posts