Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Last July I was on "The Torbay Express" the same day that the BBC "Coast" team were filming it as a feature for a future programme. A flyer I received in the post today promoting this summer's tours announces that this feature will soon be broadcast.

If you want to see a King running as fast as the line's speed limit will allow (60mph) along the sea wall through Dawlish, keep an eye on the TV schedules for the next few months. Don't bother trying to spot me, my seat was on the land side of the train.

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I have already seen it broadcast and it was absolutely stunning to watch.

It looked just like a model railway with all the filming from a helicopter following the train along the coast from Exeter to Teignmouth on a sunny day with lots of smoke bellowing from the loco and the odd whistle blast. It is getting regular repeats so it will be on again. As it passed through Starcross the old Atmospheric Railway Building was on the right. It was great to watch it going along the Dawlish sea wall and through the tunnels at the west end of Dawlish and along Teignmouth sea wall. And then as it passed under the footbridge at the entrance to Teignmouth.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
David,

Thanks for pointing this bit out - I have many happy memories of trainspotting on family holidays in Teignmouth mostly just where the line swings inland to enter Teignmouth station. Took some of my first railway photos there as well.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>It was great to watch it
I thought it would be. It was announced over the train intercom that the trip was being filmed so we knew the crew would be putting on a show. They really hammered along from Newton Abbot to Exeter.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 19 May 2007, 02:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Last July I was on "The Torbay Express" the same day that the BBC "Coast" team were filming it as a feature for a future programme. A flyer I received in the post today promoting this summer's tours announces that this feature will soon be broadcast.

If you want to see a King running as fast as the line's speed limit will allow (60mph) along the sea wall through Dawlish, keep an eye on the TV schedules for the next few months. Don't bother trying to spot me, my seat was on the land side of the train.

David
I look forward to seeing this. I have really enjoyed the coast programmes. Unfortunately I only get to see them when I'm at home or when someone tapes them for me and sends them over. I will probably get the dvds at some point.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the BBC website, the new series of Coast starts on Sunday June 3rd at 8pm. There is no indication of programme content yet. You can access information from the first two series via the programme's webpage here at the BBC. (For Neil - sometimes you can download clips from the programme)

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 22 May 2007, 06:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>According to the BBC website, the new series of Coast starts on Sunday June 3rd at 8pm. There is no indication of programme content yet. You can access information from the first two series via the programme's webpage here at the BBC. (For Neil - sometimes you can download clips from the programme)

David
Unfortunately, David, the website will not let you do this when you are outside the UK as I am now. However I really like this series and will buy the DVD anyway.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I caught the trailer for this after Sundays edition, Apparently the one to be broadcast on 10/06 is on the South Coast so perhaps we should keep our eyes open?

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Apparently the one to be broadcast on 10/06 is on the South Coast so perhaps we should keep our eyes open?
I've looked at the Coast webpage for the current series (3) and this is the only programme which covers the appropriate area. The programme synopsis does not list the train as being one of the items; so it will either be a fast blast or it's lying on the cutting room floor

Edit: I've just noticed that there's a 10 minute slot on BBC 2 this evening at 7:50. The content does not appear to have any relation to either programme 1 or programme 2 of series 3. Are these slots completely different to the half hour shows or selected highlights from before?

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was on "The Cumbrian Mountain Express" today which is run by the same company that do "The Torbay Express". They announced that the film taken last year of "The Torbay Express" _will_ be in tomorrow's (Sunday June 10th) epsidoe of Coast (That's series 3 programme 2 for anyone who unearths this from the archive).

As we are planning to be in Devon tomorrow, we probably won't be back in time to see it and our VCR is history. I'll have to watch a web rerun instead.

David

·
Registered
267 Posts
Was on a moment ago ... Have to say it was excellent footage. (Those who watch the repeats etc its about half way through the programme).

Thanks for the heads up on this as i would not have known otherwise.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE Thanks for the heads up on this as i would not have known otherwise.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. As I suspected, we are just back from Devon, so I'll have to make do with a repeat. We were a few miles up the coast at Beer. Fantastically sunny weather and I picked up some information at the DCC weekend which I am sure will filter through to posts on here from time to time.

David

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow, some nice footage.. When my dad heard the part about 9 million (a year?) to keep the line in good condition He responded by saying "Pull it up". Surprising coming from a fellow railway enthusiast... I called him Doctor Beeching..

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Well it was certainly worth the wait, quite a bit on for us railway types. I was particularily impressed with the HST battling through the waves!! I got it recorded just for the hell of it and to watch it again.

Regards

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts