Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All
I used to be in this hobbie as a kid, but now that I'm retired I would like to get back into it. I'm currently starting from scratch. I remember as a child the Erie and Erie Lackawanna Railroad, I saw the last few steam Locomotives sitting and rusting, plus I also saw the early diesel Locomotives as well as what was the newer ones at the time. This was the late nineteen sixties and I was like all boys or nearly all boys very interested in trains.

So it is my intent to recreate a freight layout, nothing related to an actual one, but something I can enjoy.
I'm liminted in space, so I'm going to build what is called a doorway layout for HO. I saved the files and printed out some from All Gauge web site, they have lots of layout plants there to pick and choose from, but I also downloaded and installed Run RTS 7.0 Freeware from Atlas, so one way or another I will put together a nice layout. Till now I did not know about doorway layouts, I think they'er really neat. I never knew that it was possible to build a 36" by 77" area layout, I thought I have to use a 4' by 8' sheet of cabinet grade plywwod.

I'll let you know how I make out

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome Ron

where are you located? I live in the old Erie Lackawanna territory myself, though my interests are British Railways/SR 1950's period
Today of course the part I live on is run by New Jersey Transit, but I've often admired the old terminal building at Hoboken

I'm sure you'll get a lot of help here and good luck with your new layout;)

Regards Norm

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (rons_railroad @ 28 Dec 2007, 17:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, All
I used to be in this hobbie as a kid, but now that I'm retired I would like to get back into it....

There's a lot of us on this forum in a similar position - for example, I came back to model railways about four years ago after a break of around forty years. There had been a remarkable number of changes in the (British) scene in that time, and it was almost like starting from new again!

Best wishes for your efforts,
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Norm
I live in Spring Brook NY, so I remember the Erie & Erie Lackawanna from Buffalo and Western New York.

Ron:)

QUOTE (nnich @ 28 Dec 2007, 12:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome Ron

where are you located? I live in the old Erie Lackawanna territory myself, though my interests are British Railways/SR 1950's period
Today of course the part I live on is run by New Jersey Transit, but I've often admired the old terminal building at Hoboken

I'm sure you'll get a lot of help here and good luck with your new layout;)

Regards Norm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, John
I hope to build something that fits into my computer room, now / train room:)

Ron:)

QUOTE (John Webb @ 28 Dec 2007, 18:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There's a lot of us on this forum in a similar position - for example, I came back to model railways about four years ago after a break of around forty years. There had been a remarkable number of changes in the (British) scene in that time, and it was almost like starting from new again!

Best wishes for your efforts,
Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Ron and welcome,

I look forward to hearing of your progress.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts