Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Here is how I fitted a loksound chip into my bachmann 9f,

The chip and speaker will not fit into the boiler but they do fit into the tender without any greef,

The loco chip socket will fit into the firebox space without interfearing with the wiring, I also removed the three capasiters at this point.

the wires from the sound chip will reach the firebox.

I stuck the sound chip onto the side of the tender and the speaker into the top of the water tank, the ballast weight has to be removed to clear the chip, I stuck in 45 grams of car alloy wheel balance weights, ( the same weight as the ballast , I scrounged the weights from a local tyre fitters scrap bin. )

The wires will pass through one of the holes in the tender floor where the top clips in I just unsoldered / resoldered one at a time, you could cut a big hole if you wish instead.

A small notch will have to be foled into the underside front edge of the cab floor to allow the wires free passage, this notch cannot be seen once the loco is re assembled

All I have to do now is paint the wires black and the jobs a good un,

WHAT A FANTASTIC ADDON YOU WILL LOVE IT.

I hope the photos help, sorry they are not too clear me cameras only a cheapy.

Cheers Hoppy

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

Well done on the install. I take it this was your first sound decoder to install. Happy with the sound? The Bachmann 9f's are very nice runners and I currently have 2 of these sitting at home to get done when I find time. Same as you I have done a Bachmann evening star but did it a little different. I installed my decoder in the loco along with a 16mm speaker and put the 20 x 46 in the tender.

Can I make 1 suggestion get a black marker and colour the wires black, that makes them less visible. I also drilled a hole in the frame and took the wires out that way.

Extra pickups on tender, tender lights and speaker through the 6 pin plug

Great effort on the install and I'm sure you will have many happy hours running this loco.

m

1 - 3 of 3 Posts