Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was looking on the internet for sounds for British locomotives, now I've finded a little movie from a sound decoder in a Bachmann Freightliner Class 66, sound great!
But do you need a nother decoder to drive digital? Or is a sound decoder the same as a digital decoder, only with sound?
And is it possible to drive with a digital sound train on a anolouges system?
And how much volt das the locomotive need to drive on a digital system, cause I've got a roco LokMause, and it sent 15 Volt to the tracks. (Yes, it works with numbers
)

Big chance I'm buying a Bachmann Class 66 with sound.

Thanks!

Kind regarts,

Ryan

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
14 volts for H/O DCC is spot - on 15 volts no problem. Amps is another key factor, the more loco's particularly sound loco's the more amps you will consume.
Most sound decoders are sound and drive/function decoders. Certainly the ones from ESU are. Soundtraxx has a range of sound only decoders. Your DCC sounds will not work on analogue unless it specificly says so IE like Broadway or similar American stock. Normally on these models there's a switch to change from analouge to Digital.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
The transformator I've got say's:

PRI 230V~ 50-60HZ IP40
SEC 15V~ 2,67A 40VA ta 40Celsius.

So, 2,67 are the Amps then?
How many loco's with sound could I place on a track system with this transformator? (Don't know how much Amps I'll need for a loco with sound?

Does anybody know the Bachmann Class 60 in EWS livery is fitted with an ESU sound decoder? (Cat no. 32-725DS)

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
re: the number of loco's I would think three possibly four. When not in use most people turn the sound off as it can be very repitious and annoying.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I have a Roco Lokmaus and I regularly run four locos with sound on my layout with no modifications or boosters or any other added technical problems and they all work fine. ESU sound decoders are easily the best as you justt plug them in. The other options involve technical knowledge of electronics which not everyone has.

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (Ryan @ 10 Aug 2006, 10:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,

I was looking on the internet for sounds for British locomotives, now I've finded a little movie from a sound decoder in a Bachmann Freightliner Class 66, sound great!
But do you need a nother decoder to drive digital? Or is a sound decoder the same as a digital decoder, only with sound?
And is it possible to drive with a digital sound train on a anolouges system?
And how much volt das the locomotive need to drive on a digital system, cause I've got a roco LokMause, and it sent 15 Volt to the tracks. (Yes, it works with numbers
)

Big chance I'm buying a Bachmann Class 66 with sound.

Thanks!

Kind regarts,

Ryan

I cant say i have tried my sound equiped locos on a dc system, but i believe they will move with no sound.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Piemanlarger @ 2 Nov 2006, 07:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I cant say i have tried my sound equiped locos on a dc system, but i believe they will move with no sound.

The Loksound decoder equiped locomotives that I have run with limited sound on analogue DC.

best regards
Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts