Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a sound chip for the English Electric 4srkt? I'm getting a "Thumper" set from Southern Pride models, and I fancied adding a nice thump to my layouts noise.

Any ideas?

Ta in anticipation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 1 Feb 2008, 00:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does anyone know of a sound chip for the English Electric 4srkt? I'm getting a "Thumper" set from Southern Pride models, and I fancied adding a nice thump to my layouts noise.

Any ideas?

Ta in anticipation.

Howes Models in Kidlington do sound decoders, maybe they have one
it would be worth checking with them

·
Registered
208 Posts
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 1 Feb 2008, 00:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does anyone know of a sound chip for the English Electric 4srkt? I'm getting a "Thumper" set from Southern Pride models, and I fancied adding a nice thump to my layouts noise.

Any ideas?

Ta in anticipation.
Try SW digital I think they have an EE sound chip for one of the other units that use the same power unit, or you could use one of the generic TCS diesel sound chips and set the beat to suit.

regards

mike g

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Please permit me to hijack this thread and ask a similar question.

What existing Loksound decoder sound provides a scale sound of a twin eighteen-cylinder 3300 bhp Deltic?

OK, I assume that there isn't anything on the market specifically for the Deltic, but what exists that is the most similar? I may update the sound later if a better one becomes available - that's why I'm looking at Loksound.

These is a list from DCC Supplies:

BR 01 (52406)
BR 03 (52407)
BR 18, s 3/6 (52405)
BR 23 (52408)
BR 38, P8 (52404)
BR 50, NMBS-SNCB type 25 (52410)
Diesel: Universal (52433)
Diesel:Euro Class 59/66 (82420)
DMU :VT 628 (52441)
Electric: Eurosprinter (52486)
Electric: ICE (52467)
Electric: Universal DB E40 (52461)
Steam 2 Cylinder Loco (52401)
Steam: 2/4 cylinder loco. (52403)
Steam: 3 cylinder loco. (52402)
Steam: Universal US (Big Boy, Mikado, Etc.) (52411)
Steam:Mogual (82452)
Ten Wheeler, Mountain Hudson. (52412)
Universal US-Diesel F 7 (52436)

Other references on the Loksound site: http://www.loksound.de/us/index.php?showId=189

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 1 Feb 2008, 17:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Please permit me to hijack this thread and ask a similar question.

What existing Loksound decoder sound provides a scale sound of a twin eighteen-cylinder 3300 bhp Deltic?

OK, I assume that there isn't anything on the market specifically for the Deltic, but what exists that is the most similar? I may update the sound later if a better one becomes available - that's why I'm looking at Loksound.

These is a list from DCC Supplies:

BR 01 (52406)
BR 03 (52407)
BR 18, s 3/6 (52405)
BR 23 (52408)
BR 38, P8 (52404)
BR 50, NMBS-SNCB type 25 (52410)
Diesel: Universal (52433)
Diesel:Euro Class 59/66 (82420)
DMU :VT 628 (52441)
Electric: Eurosprinter (52486)
Electric: ICE (52467)
Electric: Universal DB E40 (52461)
Steam 2 Cylinder Loco (52401)
Steam: 2/4 cylinder loco. (52403)
Steam: Universal US (Big Boy, Mikado, Etc.) (52411)
Steam:Mogual (82452)
Ten Wheeler, Mountain Hudson. (52412)
Universal US-Diesel F 7 (52436)

Other references on the Loksound site: http://www.loksound.de/us/index.php?showId=189

Deltic from both Bachmann and Swd will be avaialble later in the year.

Be aware, Dcc supplies, or Mr.Soundguy as it is, have not recieved very good reviews.
I have a Mr.Soundguy class 33 and its very poor.
Dcc supplies I have very good experiences of and their base reflex sound speakers are very good in some models.

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 1 Feb 2008, 17:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What existing Loksound decoder sound provides a scale sound of a twin eighteen-cylinder 3300 bhp Deltic?

OK, I assume that there isn't anything on the market specifically for the Deltic, but what exists that is the most similar?
Doug,

At present, nothing that I am aware of. Two problems with the Deltic. The engine was a fast running type and sounded more like a piston prop aero engine - think something like a Merlin, but with a quite hard metallic ring to it - with sharp peaks in output occuring over a broad bandwidth, and loud with it. Then there was the little matter of there being two engines, leading to a whole range of beats. It was the most wonderful thing: the machine could simultaneously beat in the mid band doing a fast flutter, a police siren 'wa-wa', and also right down in deep bass 15 to 25Hz, exciting the body side panels. Put that in Kings Cross or York trainshed, and it could excite the whole airmass just like a cathedral organ. The pull away was very distinctive, as one engine was revved up to get the train moving, with the second on idle; then once the train was moving, first engine was eased back, second was brought up to matching revs. (This was to avoid an over-current trip out.) Out on the line you could hear them for miles in still frosty weather especially, and there was Doppler effect to add to the aural fun as they raced past.

Bachmann have a project to get the sound for their models, and I wish them well with the challenge this machine presents, but doubt they will be able to get more than a vague impression of the real thing.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE OK, I assume that there isn't anything on the market specifically for the Deltic, but what exists that is the most similar?

I would be surprised if there was anything similar available as one of the distinguishing features of the Deltic engines was the fact they reved at twice the rate of a standard diesel. This made them quite distinctive.

My original plan was to buy an off the shelf Bachmann sound Deltic and transplant its sound decoder to the prototype. Since someone posted that SWD will release a Deltic sound decoder once the Bachmann has been released, I will wait for an SWD version.

David

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Both SWD and Bachmann use ESU Loksound - right?

It will be just a matter of getting the sounds. Loksound have all the sounds for download. I'm sure that if someone adds a Deltic, it won't be restricted.

BTW, I have a project to produce some SA Garratt sounds. Yes, I have the sounds! I just need the decoders and the programmer.... and then to build the Garratt

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 1 Feb 2008, 19:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Both SWD and Bachmann use ESU Loksound - right?

It will be just a matter of getting the sounds. Loksound have all the sounds for download. I'm sure that if someone adds a Deltic, it won't be restricted.

Not so Doug, Bachmans sound are on loksound decoders, but nothing to do with loksound so the only way you will be able to get the sounds uploaded is via SWD. As I said, buy the loksound decoder from Swd and when the deltic is available I am sure they will soert out a download for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey now! Hang on a minute. I love Deltics, and am in fact waiting for a Bachmann sound fitted one to arrive (courtesy of the madkitten(when it's finally released)), but the point was. Does anyone know of a sound chip for an EE4SRKT? As far as I'm aware only two locos had this unit. The class 73 and 205. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Any ideas?

Ta in anticipation.

Wouldn't that be a class 73 with the 600hp engine, if so I am not aware of either SWD or Howes having one available. I guess it may be worth having a listen to the European sounds on the ESU site to see if they have one, if so if you get it from SWD they can remove the functions that really are not at all useful for a UK model, i.e. replace the horns and the foreign voices.

sorry couldn't be of more help.

CFT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts