Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I put this request for information in the workbench section as these components will form a part of a project I will be doing on my workbench.

What I am after is spare tank tracks preferably 1/87 although more realistically 1/72 or 76. My current options seem to be to buy kits and take the tracks out and chuck the kits but this seems a bit wasteful.

The other item I need is small chains, again at a budget price. I could get loads of these from a jeweller but would prefer to pay as little as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is why

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 16 Feb 2009, 12:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great Picture Neil.

I never knew that they had a bag over the gun end when they were transporting them!

John
Hi John, yes. it was to stop stuff getting down the barrel while in transport.

I have seen a couple of pictures of these. There are some excellent pictures in the military mags and books.

Thanks for the links Alastair.

cheers

Neil

Heres a couple more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Neil, the Tiger I tanks, as in your first 2 pics, were so wide they wouldn't fit within the normal loading gauge in Western Europe and most of Eastern Europe. To fit them on rail wagons they removed the outer set of road wheels and fitted them with narrow tracks designed for transport. The wider battle tracks were fitted when unloaded. The Tiger in your second post shows this, with the battle track stowed on the wagon. I don't know where they stowed the wheels, possibly they went in separate wagons. The pic in your first post shows the tank with all road wheels and battle tracks fitted, but still on a wagon without overhanging, which suggests it was on the Russian broad gauge. I believe you can get plastic 1/76 track sets as well as etched brass, but I'm not up to date with the 1/76 armour market any more, although I may need some Shermans for my WW2 layout when it gets built. The other tank is a Panther, which was narrower.
Regards,
archaepete

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
So why didn't they just build a wagon that could turn the Tigers on their sides?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (archaepete @ 17 Feb 2009, 12:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Neil, the Tiger I tanks, as in your first 2 pics, were so wide they wouldn't fit within the normal loading gauge in Western Europe and most of Eastern Europe. To fit them on rail wagons they removed the outer set of road wheels and fitted them with narrow tracks designed for transport. The wider battle tracks were fitted when unloaded. The Tiger in your second post shows this, with the battle track stowed on the wagon. I don't know where they stowed the wheels, possibly they went in separate wagons. The pic in your first post shows the tank with all road wheels and battle tracks fitted, but still on a wagon without overhanging, which suggests it was on the Russian broad gauge. I believe you can get plastic 1/76 track sets as well as etched brass, but I'm not up to date with the 1/76 armour market any more, although I may need some Shermans for my WW2 layout when it gets built. The other tank is a Panther, which was narrower.
Regards,
archaepete
Hi Pete,

I had found out about the different tracks for transport which is why I needed the extra tracks but thanks for the additonal information as this is very helpful. Good point about the Russian loading gauge.
Plastic tracks would be fine, I'd just rather not fork out for a whole kit when the tracks are all I need

cheers

Neil

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 17 Feb 2009, 02:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So why didn't they just build a wagon that could turn the Tigers on their sides?
Impractical - I dread to think of the stress that would put onto things like engine mountings, then there is all the fluids to drain down, maybe there would also be a height problem too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts