Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts

After reading the articles in last and this months Continental Modeller about steam in South Africa I felt inspired to find out a bit more. Like Australia, steam rail seems to have continued for a bit longer than Europe and North America probably because of an abundance of coal. There seems to have been some pretty awesome steam locos in operation in SA.

Although I did a fair bit of rail travel in South Africa when I was living there I seem to have neglected to take any photographs of the trains I travelled on. Something I really regret now. I wanted to know if anyone had seen any DVD's of South African Steam particularly Garratts and 19d's which they would recommend? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Oh and if anyone is aware of steam models, other than the DJH kits, I would be interested in what is available too.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Check this out: Magersfontein

If you are after any SA locos or rolling stock, I have boxes of them waiting for some project or another.

The only steam loco I have is a DJH Garratt (in need of construction...)

You've probably seen this (for photos): Prorail

And the SA Steam Locomotive Classes

Some models can be found here: Precision Miniatures. If you're getting anything from them, pick up some for me too - ask if they do bulk discounts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Neil,
The Signal Box Ltd at 1, Albion St, Anstey, LEICESTER, LE7 7DD, UK has an enormous range of DVDs and videos. They can be contacted by e-mail at [email protected] - they do not have a website.

Their catalogue has over 40 pages of 'Overseas Railways' (as seen from the UK viewpoint). I noted some 20 DVD/Video productions, particularly by Alcazar Video, Ray Freeman Productions, Ross Rail Video Productions, Roy Laverick Video and one or two others which are either entirely about SA railways (and often adjacent countries) or include footage of same - eg quite a few on Garratt locos.

The catalogue is free in the UK, but A4 sized and 150 pages long, so I imagine they might ask for postage & packing costs to send outside the UK.

Hope this is of help.
Regards,
John Webb

PS Would DVDs sold in the UK be playable in Australia with the 'Regions' thing?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 25 Jul 2007, 19:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Check this out: Magersfontein

If you are after any SA locos or rolling stock, I have boxes of them waiting for some project or another.

The only steam loco I have is a DJH Garratt (in need of construction...)

You've probably seen this (for photos): Prorail

And the SA Steam Locomotive Classes

Some models can be found here: Precision Miniatures. If you're getting anything from them, pick up some for me too - ask if they do bulk discounts

Thanks for those links Doug. some excellent stuff there. The Precision Minatures RTR is excellent value when compared to DJH's assembled kits. Have you had a go at the DJH kit yet? I feel I will have to get a GMAM Garratt at some point.

John thanks for the Signal Box email address, I will send them an email as it's probably easiest.

In Ozz Region 4 is the local dvd code but I made sure I got a multi region one as almost all of my DVD's are bought from the UK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.