Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Here is a layout thread from me then. I'll keep this thread updated as much as possible.

I'll start off where it is now, no point going aback in time...

oh.. alright then, here is the garage in January this year:

Which over a few months was transformed to this:

Then Baseboards:

Lets skip forward then to now... [well at least recent pics]

The view from the newington road bridge:

Signals in place to see how they look:

Some other shots:

I am hoping that although hugely reduced in size to be viable in 00 without filling an aircraft hanger the layout does indeed capture some of the reality of Ramsgate. The key will be how well I can build the EMU shed and the Station canopies and building. The shed in place now is a test [that hasn't quite worked out] but is useful for getting an idea of size. Other buildings are floor fillers until proper buildings have been built.

My website, www.mumbles274.co.uk has many many more pictures of all the various bits and pieces that I do, I tend to take alot of photos! They are also slightly larger resolution. I try to keep it updated, and although the odd page is not done yet [because I haven't done it on the layout yet!], there are nearly 40 pages of fun !!!

Cheers
Michael

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
That's an amazing transformation and quite a model developing there. I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Thanks for posting

David

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Talk about before and after. That is amazing. You look to have a really great railway room there now and, by all appearances, you are certainly doing it justice.

Look forward to seeing your further progress.

That is one awesome PC monitor by the way. Makes my 19" look a bit sick

·
Registered
531 Posts
How did you do so much in such a short time? Don't you sleep?
And of course you could not have chosen a better region.
Thanks for posting - very impressed. Note to self: must make more progress.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Impressive! I particularly like the curves through the station. I did get to Ramsgate a couple of times (I used to live in SE London in the days of my youth) but I remember little of it.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have to say that it certainly gives the impression of Ramsgate.

Regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
Always nice to see a southern 3rd rail layout. Best of luck with the EMU shed. You can see my effort in the Hornby yearbook on my Ashington layout.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi

I spent the afternoon in the garage and got a few things done. First thing was weathering track around the Ramsgate area.

I also did some rebuilding of baseboard to more accurately reflect the lay of the land at ramsgate. Here to the left of the track, it is now higher that track level rather than lower

I intend to lay some extras sidings and you can see the mock ups for them, one line to make up the 4 under the road bridge

and 2 extra sidings to go behind the EMU shed

I also edged the platforms with white paint, these platforms are semi permanent until I build accurate [I hope!] models of the real things, so for now crude and bright is not really a problem!

Cheers
Michael
ps as usual all these updates and more are on my webpage as well
www.mumbles274.co.uk

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi Michael

This is just the sort of project I can't help but be attracted to - not just because of the Southern element.

Impressive work all around, and I too will be looking forward to updates

The videos point the way ahead for me (once I get something moving, of course!) but keep those photo's coming, excellent stuff.

Regards.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi
Cheers for nice comments.

This morning I was able to spend a bit of time in the garage having a play with RR&co and detection. I think I swear more in there at the moment than do anything else. I did get to a little milestone today and that was the first proper autotrain movements on the layout. The computer ran a class 108 from one station, stopped at the next, waited and then ran round to the start of the sequence again.

There are still a few issues to iron out, I need to set up speed profiles for the locos for one, but I am begining to get a feel for the programme and seeing some of the potential in action. I have a signal decoder so I can start getting the signals programmed in and although the layout will be far from fully signalled, there will be some done and that's a start.

I am sure when I have it set up and running I will get a vid on here may be before the holidays begin in earnest.. but if not, in the meantime, have a good christmas everyone..

Michael

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi
I have not done much for a long time in the garage but finally got round to doing some more on the bridge I have been building

I'm focusing on this corner for now, trying to get one area at a detailing stage.. still a fair bit to do though

Cheers
Michael

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
From the photos so far Id say this has potential for a real "wow" layout!
Steve

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
The track is laid better than the Southern Region ever managed !

What minimum radius are you using ? Is it Peco code 100 ?

1 - 20 of 167 Posts